Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over cigarette smoke?

• 22-10-2010 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,

How does one prepare the walls that have been subjected to many years of cigarette smoke? Walls are a slight shade of yellow (from white)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I'm not a painter but I am a smoker. ;)
    Use a blowtorch to char the paint and strip the paint off with a scraper.

Then paint the wall or put the paper on. I'wouldn't try and try and paint over it, you will have bubbles and stains later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

wash down with sugar soap,and you should be good to go
    if staining is very bad include 1 coat of alcohol based bin primer after washing ,
    then 2 coats of emulsion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

soundsham wrote: »
    wash down with sugar soap,and you should be good to go
    if staining is very bad include 1 coat of alcohol based bin primer after washing ,
    then 2 coats of emulsion

+1

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

It will cost a small fortune to coat the walls and ceiling with BIN primer (its €68 per gal), best to wash down with sugar soap and coat the whole room with white undercoat, then apply your emulsion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd have said just sugar soap, with hot water for application and cold water rinse down. Use the powder not the liquid.
    No need for BIN or u/c...it's only nicotine/tar which will be 99% washed off. Apply emulsion as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

It will cost a small fortune to coat the walls and ceiling with BIN primer (its €68 per gal), best to wash down with sugar soap and coat the whole room with white undercoat, then apply your emulsion.

€54 for alcohol based one
    €33 for spirit based one (johnstones northpoint cork)which i have not used but have been told its spot on by a trusted mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

soundsham wrote: »
    €54 for alcohol based one
    €33 for spirit based one (johnstones northpoint cork)which i have not used but have been told its spot on by a trusted mate

Cover Stain? Brilliant product. I love it for priming hardwood or if you have a room of joinery to prime, u/c and oil finish in a day. I'd prefer it over BIN as well for damp stains... no need for the multiple coats of emulsion to cover the stain blocked area.
    Fleetwood do an quick drying oil primer too, pro-block I think it's called..

BIN has it's place (varnished wood, powder coat, other such difficult surfaces) but you can't use it outside and that 54 quid is for a US gallon (3.54lt)...considering it's about $30 for it in the 'states we get owned on that price.

Advertisement