Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Damon to play Lance in film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can't believe they didn't cast Jake. He has a Trek and everything!

Star+Tracks_+Friday,+March+6,+2009+-+SPIN+CYCLE+-+Jake+Gyllenhaal+_+People.com.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Or Matthew McConaughey.

matthew+mcconaughey+lance+armstrong.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

This has been around as an idea for a long time - 3 years ago it was old news. I really doubt that the project will go ahead, at least not any version of it that LA had in mind when he was still starting rumours about himself as future governor of Texas and Matt Damon hadn't swollen to the size of said state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Who is going to play cancer? Tommy Lee Jones would be good.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »

Tbf he put on weight to play a role in some film, I presume he is back down now.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Tbf he put on weight to play a role in some film, I presume he is back down now.

He was in a live broadcast of 30 Rock last week - he looked just as portly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

It'll be tough work getting all that weight off, but I'd say he's the type of guy who can do it.

Mind you - it'll be hard work getting down to Lance's cancer weight. You'd really need Christian Bale for that job - ever seen The Machinist?

balejuice1.jpg

He has the cancer look down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, the informant was the one where he put on the fat, then invictus he just bulked up. I don't doubt that he can alter his weight again to play Lance.

Lance will probably feck it up, to George Lucas proportions, by wanting to turn one movie into 9: the first 3 featuring his rise to power, then his fall to the Dark side and eventually his reign as emperor of texas. I bet Lance is planning to build a Death Star, Floyd Landis could be played by Jar Jar Binks: "Meesa one crazy mofo".

What's amazing about Bale is he did that movie right before Batman Begins, where he gained 45 Kg in 6 months:

BatmanBegins009.jpg

Surely not healthy and must have taken some amount of work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bale's diet to get down to what he wanted for The Machinist was a can of tuna and an apple a day.

His next film was Batman, which required him to bulk up again. He ended up putting on so much muscle that director Christopher Nolan asked him to drop some of it.

el tonto wrote: »
    Bale's diet to get down to what he wanted for The Machinist was a can of tuna and an apple a day.

Maybe all the heavy metals in the tuna were what turned him mental.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What's amazing about Bale is he did that movie right before Batman Begins, where he gained 45 Kg in 6 months:

It amazing what a contract worth millions, a personal trainer, cook and some HGH can do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Definitely not healthy gaining that much weight so quickly. I'd say his heart is in a jock.

It amazing what a contract worth millions, a personal trainer, cook and some HGH can do...

The actor considered experimenting with the substances when he was trying to build up his physique for roles in ‘Batman Begins‘ and ‘American Psycho‘.

“A number of people have said, ‘You could never have done that without some kind of steroids.’ Not to say I wasn’t tempted.

“When I was getting ready for ‘American Psycho‘ I’d never been in a gym in my life and I was working out like crazy, so I thought, ‘Maybe it ain’t such a big deal, just take some ‘roids’ and I can speed up this whole process.’ “

He explained: “I called up the store where they’re selling that sort of stuff and asked, ‘Have you used it? And side effects?’ ‘No no. I mean, really minimal. Your balls might shrink and you might get acne.’ I’m like, there’s no way in hell I’m going to touch anything like that and damn those who think I did.”

While he shunned illegal substances to transform his appearance, Christian did undergo cosmetic dental work - which he still regrets.

Don't forget the most important part: Being told if you do it, you will get to dress up like Batman for a few months. To me, that's the real prize!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

^ that's kind of cute.

el tonto wrote: »
    ^ that's kind of cute.

I have already looked into this, but I couldn't justify the 600 euro to buy a costume:

product_detailed_image_2049_1889.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Will Matthew McConaughey be playing himself?

Not to mention Robin Williams:

robin-williams_lance-armstrong_072202.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Isn't Damon just voicing a documentary on Lance ? Not starring as Lance ? Dam - google tells me it looks like it's going to be both ..

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/10/lance-armstrong-doping-alberto-contador-matt-damon-tour-de-france.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Who is going to play cancer? Tommy Lee Jones would be good.

not funny at all dude....

Didn't mean to offend. Scepticism about Lance equating to a love of cancer is a bit of a running joke. Cancer isn't something I would usually joke about but I assumed that those frequenting this forum would understand the context.

Just occurred to me - does Tommy Lee Jones have cancer? I only mentioned him as he is good at playing smart asses and he is from Lance's part of the world.

Didn't mean to offend. Scepticism about Lance equating to a love of cancer is a bit of a running joke. Cancer isn't something I would usually joke about but I assumed that those frequenting this forum would understand the context.

Just occurred to me - does Tommy Lee Jones have cancer? I only mentioned him as he is good at playing smart asses and he is from Lance's part of the world.

Not sure about Tommy Lee having any medical conditions, I'd be on the forums a bit here and would pay no notice usually to any of the Lance slagging, but love or hate him, he's beaten cancer so far and not only managed to live but played a huge part in a professional sport afterwards. I'm not going into the whole drug use debate, the thing for me is that he's survived a serious bout of cancer and don't think it should be joked about at all. I can only assume that we all know at least one person who's been affected by it somehow. Maybe I'm just being touchy, but its just how I feel about it.

CarlosK wrote: »
    I can only assume that we all know at least one person who's been affected by it somehow.
    yeah, so lets joke about it. most of us will probably end up with it anyway.

he's beaten cancer

He didn't "beat" cancer, he was cured of it.

not funny at all dude....

Who put you in charge of what's funny?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

yeah, so lets joke about it. most of us will probably end up with it anyway.

Only a third of us ;)

(another third will get heart disease and the rest will bite the dust from something else )

Since we are discussing batman I shall tell a joke ..

A guy was doing an interview and was asked, "what's your biggest weakness ?" he replied "Well I suppose my grip on reality." "And what's your strongest attribute ?" he replied "I'm batman"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'm predicting a real twist in the plot at the end of this film.

Lumen wrote: »
    He didn't "beat" cancer, he was cured of it.

I don't care how its phrased, he "survived" a serious level of cancer and to me that's someone to admire regardless of who they are! If it was me I'd say I beat it.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    Who put you in charge of what's funny?

I'm in charge of nothing, I'm only asking for a bit of compassion regarding a serious illness

Manwithaplan apologised and stated he didn't wish to offend anyone, and that is cool with me...

I don't care how its phrased, he "survived" a serious level of cancer and to me that's someone to admire regardless of who they are! If it was me I'd say I beat it.

Well if we're being oversensitive then I have to say I find the phrasing objectionable.

If those that "beat" cancer are to be admired, that implies that those who don't are somehow not courageous/willful enough to do so. Which is rubbish. It's a crapshoot, as the Americans say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mumfordandsons

agree with u totally. i know joking lads but when reading this i just thought wrong, i dont think cancer can ever really fit in a "joke".

lumen there is nothing oversensitive about refering cancer this way .it is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

i dont think cancer can ever really fit in a "joke".
    I guess you're wrong. Plenty found the joke funny, judging by the 14 (so far) "thanks given"

Jesus Christ! There is a slight difference between making a joke about cancer and making a joke about someone with cancer. Everyone knows the Lance/Cancer relationship, yes it has been successfully exploited in comedy before (see the Onion) and it goes without saying that everyone knows someone who has battled, or is battling with cancer.

If you don't find it funny then you just don't laugh at it, it wasn't exactly in poor taste and we don't need you to remind us of how unfunny cancer can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

:D
    not sure if you meant this to be as hilariously clever as it is

Manwithaplan apologised and stated he didn't wish to offend anyone

Fixed that for you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mumfordandsons

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I guess you're wrong. Plenty found the joke funny, judging by the 14 (so far) "thanks given"

the joke was crap. when u grown up u might see it different .
    grow up . my point stands cancer is not a joke, and should not be refer to in any way. u dont get this, something wrong with u i guess.

grow up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

END OF CANCER DISCUSSION, NO DEBATE.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Matt Damon is a useless actor anyway, his best work was in Team America as shown in an earlier post....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

agree with u totally. i know joking lads but when reading this i just thought wrong, i dont think cancer can ever really fit in a "joke".

lumen there is nothing oversensitive about refering cancer this way .it is wrong.

Not sure. Appreciation of humour, is a personal thing. Whatsomeone finds hilarious another person finds deeply offensive - that is precisely the reason that a person mayfind something funny - because it is hard to take.

I dont believe that anything, and I mean anything is above a humourous take on it. I have been at comedy gigs and laughed at something other folks cringed at. Also I have cringed and felt offended at something other folks laughed at. That doesnt mean that the subject matter shouldnt be explored from a humourous angle.

On the cancer thing, the singer Warren Zevon when dying of cancer wrote some pretty hard hitting lyrics about it - with a very dark sense of humour.

Ooopps - didnt see the mod warning on the big C until now. Was reading the post and wanted to resond.

Matt Damon is a useless actor anyway, his best work was in Team America as shown in an earlier post....

I like him a lot.

What was the movie he wrote with Ben Affleck? That was a decent flick... and The Departed was pretty good too.

Though does he always have that strong Boston accent (I think its a Boston accent anyway) in all his movies?

and The Departed was pretty good too.

Though does he always have that strong Boston accent (I think its a Boston accent anyway) in all his movies?

The Departed was class.
    Anyone think that De Caprio and Damon look similar.

Thought the Bourne Series were very good films from Damon.

The boy can sing too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfoF6MhgLA#t=2m15s

I'd like to see Lance the musical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The boy can sing too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfoF6MhgLA#t=2m15s

I'd like to see Lance the musical.

He gets my vote for this one...

RobFowl wrote: »
    He gets my vote for this one...

What the hell was that all about??? Looking at the band's image and all I thought it was gonna be punk/goth kinda stuff.... then they produce a song that mcfly would cream themselves to write...

Is that from a film?? It looks brilliant.

Is that from a film?? It looks brilliant.

Eurotrip :D

Not exactly Luc Besson but great fun......

• Advertisement
Advertisement