Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airbag for Cyclists

• 22-10-2010 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Once the saddle had taken out your wedding prospects I don't think you'd feel the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nice invention, but needs more thought. Generally impractical for everyday use - you'll sweat like a rapist. I wonder if they've tested what happens to the device if it gets hot - as in, "wrapped around the neck of a hard-working cyclist in 30 degree heat". They're based on compressed air, which does things when it gets hot.

It also ignores that rear strikes are statistically a very uncommon type of crash for bikes, seems like an expensive and irritating thing to wear for very little benefit.

The crash test also shows that the cyclist's back is left completely unprotected. The airbag might save your brain, but you could be lying in bed, breathing through a tube for the rest of your life.

A better invention would be to look at the same kind of thing, but embedded in a helmet (and a whole lot cheaper). When you come off the bike, you get some all-enveloping mushroom thing to cover your head, saving both your brain and the soft flesh on your face. Then you buy a replacement air canister for €10, fold the airbag back into your helmet and away you go. The forces involved are a lot less than a car, so you don't need the same degree of inflation that a car does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

seamus wrote: »
    A better invention would be to look at the same kind of thing, but embedded in a helmet (and a whole lot cheaper). When you come off the bike, you get some all-enveloping mushroom thing to cover your head, saving both your brain and the soft flesh on your face. Then you buy a replacement air canister for €10, fold the airbag back into your helmet and away you go. The forces involved are a lot less than a car, so you don't need the same degree of inflation that a car does.(PATENT PENDING)

fyp.
    Now print it off and send it in to the patents office. I demand 25% off royalties/earnings for it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I was thinking the same when I saw the video - curtain airbag like stuff that comes out of the helmet to protect the head, and may be the cycling jerseys could have incorporate a lightweight and flexible 'spine', which in itself would protect the spine and could also have curtain airbag thingees to both sides of it to protect the ribs / kidneys etc.

To tackle the pressured air issue, what if you inverse it, that is vaccum holds them all in place, and when the seal breaks (with a pulley attached to the bike or a sensor) the air rushes in and the bags expact? I suppose it would need some sort special rubber to inflate like that.. but I am sure there's something out there..!

Right, also calling my patents lawyer now..! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As an exercise in what could serve as an alternative to a helmet I find it interesting, but as a practical solution to some problem or other I'm far from convinced (of either the solution or the existence of the problem it is trying to address).

Of course, given that it is the Daily Mail that is reporting it they'll likely go on and on about how it will be sheer suicide to choose to not use one, just like it is apparently only "vain people" that don't wear a helmet. They may well even start a campaign to make these things mandatory for all cyclists. Unless their interest is diverted by some other "notable" news event, that is, such as someone from the telly being seen in public wearing mismatched socks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone remember the safety gadget in bond where if you pulled a cable a bubble inflated around you, that would be awesome, can't find a picture :(

gadget007.jpg

I was sure I remembered it from the Moore era but apparently not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

As doozerie said, people who choose to wear a helmet are not necessarily doing so out of vanity.

I'll say no more. This has Friday Helmet Thread written all over.

As I said on the Broomwagon, I'd be interested to see what foolproofing has gone into it too. I've seen people wear helmets backwards, amazingly enough, and I imagine suffocation would be a real prospect if you were to wear that pre-inflation collar back to front. Or if it didn't follow your head movements and went off when you were looking back over your shoulder.

I read somewhere that 6 million SEK went into developing this, which I think is €650k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

seamus wrote: »
    The crash test also shows that the cyclist's back is left completely unprotected. The airbag might save your brain, but you could be lying in bed, breathing through a tube for the rest of your life.

The bonnet crumples for the cyclists back. At least it did when pretty much that exact crash happened to me. My arse is harder then the bonnet of a Hyundia Accent anyway..
    Another car safety design solution would be to make the windscreen a crumple-zone as well. Can't beat separate lanes though. In my opinion of course being as it's Friday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

article-1162439-03EDF9CB000005DC-442_468x340.jpg
    article-1162439-03EDF9CB000005DC-107_468x276.jpg

Whats the inflation time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Peterx wrote: »
    Can't beat separate lanes though.
    +1

Separate lanes:
    Provided they're not designed by the current generation of Irish road engineers. Imposing a parallel network on top of the current road network is a job for skilled, informed people. Junctions are very tricky to get right, and the ideal solution is not to paint Yield triangles for cyclists at all junctions.

EDIT: I might as well, as usual, adduce our internationally recognised best-practice cycling facility.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/September2010.htm

doughiska_galway.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

article-1162439-03EDF9CB000005DC-442_468x340.jpg
    article-1162439-03EDF9CB000005DC-107_468x276.jpg

Here is is in action. I love the comments.

As always, Sheldon had the answer:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/images/airbag-helmet.jpg

131995.jpg

Seems it took 30 million SEK to develop it.

3.25 million euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

tomasrojo wrote: »

3.25 million euro.

What a waste. A good motorcross helmet would give the same protection. If they concentrated on reducing back injuries they'd really be onto a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not plugging this - just came across it on youtube and thought it could be cool to let you guys know. Helmet is still under development and isn't available yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hovdingsverige#p/u/0/CwF-ZbJ_txw

It's worn around your neck like below and sensors blow it up if there is a crash/collision.
    I've no comparing data with real helmets.
    prod_cykelhjalm_ro_2.jpgprod_cykelhjalm_ro_1.jpg

love the vid where the dummy face plants and smashes nose/chin into ground ! really great design

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

biko wrote: »
    Not plugging this - just came across it on youtube and thought it could be cool to let you guys know. Helmet is still under development and isn't available yet.

It's worn around your neck like below and sensors blow it up if there is a crash/collision.

Uh, biko, that's the exact product this thread is about :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Confab wrote: »
    Uh, biko, that's the exact product this thread is about :D
    That's because I merged biko's new thread into this one to avoid having 2 current threads on the same topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oops, sorry, didn't realise there already was a thread on it.
    I did a search for "Hovding", not "Hvvding" as in this OP :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

prod_cykelhjalm_ro_2.jpgprod_cykelhjalm_ro_1.jpg

Did anyone else think this was about a device that turned a man into a woman when they first looked at this post?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious what causes it to go offf, sudden increase of speed?

God help the person that decides to go down and hill and hits 50km only for this thing to deploy around their head :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Curious what causes it to go offf, sudden increase of speed?

God help the person that decides to go down and hill and hits 50km only for this thing to deploy around their head :eek:

Presumably its some kind of accelerometer that only activates under extreme acceleration - for example, during a 30 kph crash the head might accelerate at a rate of 1026 m/s², which is far higher than what you could achieve through normal means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

tomasrojo wrote: »

3.25 million euro.

Not to mention all those poor dummies with no cycling sense and now severe injuries to add to their woes too. That's the hidden tragedy here, all of those shattered dummy families. And the fashion disaster that is large collars, of course - did we learn nothing from the 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

They forgot to simulate the scumbag throwing at your face an unidentified (flying) object (happened to me on the quays last week)

Advertisement