Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bord gais DD problems

Options
  • 22-10-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Just an issue I've had and it annoys me hugely. When I get my paper bill from Boar Gais it gives a date when the money will be taken out. but they never take the money out on that date. Happened a couple of weeks ago. I was expecting the money to come out on the date so when i checked the balance a week later i figured i had plenty of money so had a good weekend. looked at my bank balance the a few days later to find -€42 or something in uinpaid fees because they couldnt take the DD when they felt like it. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Just an issue I've had and it annoys me hugely. When I get my paper bill from Boar Gais it gives a date when the money will be taken out. but they never take the money out on that date. Happened a couple of weeks ago. I was expecting the money to come out on the date so when i checked the balance a week later i figured i had plenty of money so had a good weekend. looked at my bank balance the a few days later to find -€42 or something in uinpaid fees because they couldnt take the DD when they felt like it. Is there anything that can be done about this?
    did it not occur to you that the reason you had plenty money left was because the DD wasnt taken from your account?

Is there anything that can be done about this? Nope,wouldnt think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree with the OP, I use internet and phone banking and balance enquire with my own bank's ATMs and still I have been stung.

I get paid at end of the month and all my dd come out so by the 7th of the new month, what I know what I have left.

If a bill is late taking the money it screws up every thing.

Of course the way to safe guard against this is to keep a float of one months bills in you account all the time (earning no interest).

I say contact the bill issuer and threaten to cancel the dd and pay by internet banking if they can't sort it out.

The rules say they just have to inform you before they take the money:

Direct Debit Guarantee
    • This is a guarantee provided by your own Bank as a member of the Direct Debit Scheme, in which Banks and
    Originators of Direct Debits participate.
    • If you authorise payment by Direct Debit, then
    ‣ Your Direct Debit Originator will notify you in advance of the amounts to be debited to your account
    ‣ Your Bank will accept and pay such debits, provided that your account has sufficient available funds
    • If it is established that an unauthorised Direct Debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed a prompt
    refund by your Bank of the amount so charged.
    You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, I use internet and phone banking and balance enquire with my own bank's ATMs and still I have been stung.

I get paid at end of the month and all my dd come out so by the 7th of the new month, what I know what I have left.

If a bill is late taking the money it screws up every thing.

Of course the way to safe guard against this is to keep a float of one months bills in you account all the time (earning no interest).

I say contact the bill issuer and threaten to cancel the dd and pay by internet banking if they can't sort it out.

The rules say they just have to inform you before they take the money:

Direct Debit Guarantee
    • This is a guarantee provided by your own Bank as a member of the Direct Debit Scheme, in which Banks and
    Originators of Direct Debits participate.
    • If you authorise payment by Direct Debit, then
    ‣ Your Direct Debit Originator will notify you in advance of the amounts to be debited to your account
    ‣ Your Bank will accept and pay such debits, provided that your account has sufficient available funds
    • If it is established that an unauthorised Direct Debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed a prompt
    refund by your Bank of the amount so charged.
    You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your Bank.
    they must take the money on a certain date which they must notify you of or shortly after that date not a week or two after! i have had many problems with bord gais billing but the opposite of your issue op, they were sending my bills out so late they were not giving me the obligitary 14days notice. they promised this was fixed but my most recent bill arrived only 7days before the due payment date.

i have contacted them and told them i refuse to pay by direct debit until such a time as they give a written undertaking to provide adequate notice of the direct debit being taken. they have not asked me for any deposit yet and should not as they have failed on so many fronts including the time taken to investigate the issue!

they kept asking for the envelope the bills come in as if it is the fault of an post, maybe it is? but that is for them to investigate not me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Was the bill wildly more expensive than usual?

/gets coat :D

Advertisement