Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a pitbull breed standard in Ireland?

• 22-10-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

There's been a bit of talk around pitbulls and staffies lately and its made me wonder what exactly is a pitbull in Ireland?

I know that below is an American pitbull and I've been told that various dogs are pitbulls but they've ranged in size from the apbt down to staffie size. So is there a breed standard description for an Irish pitbull? (I don't mean an IKC breed standard as I know that they're not recogonised but a general standard)

rb_njeji.jpg

Or is it like the common JRT, that it's more of a description of a type of a dog rather than a specific breed standard? (I know that in 2009 thee has been a breed standard written for JRT but the general, common jrt in rescue seems to be a mixed bag!)

Excuse this silly question but would love if anyone would be able to clear this up for me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I know that in 2000 thee has been a breed standard written for JRT

Fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Fixed that for you ;)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

There's been a bit of talk around pitbulls and staffies lately and its made me wonder what exactly is a pitbull in Ireland?

I know that below is an American pitbull and I've been told that various dogs are pitbulls but they've ranged in size from the apbt down to staffie size. So is there a breed standard description for an Irish pitbull? (I don't mean an IKC breed standard as I know that they're not recogonised but a general standard)

Or is it like the common JRT, that it's more of a description of a type of a dog rather than a specific breed standard? (I know that in 2009 thee has been a breed standard written for JRT but the general, common jrt in rescue seems to be a mixed bag!)

Excuse this silly question but would love if anyone would be able to clear this up for me!

I am not really sure about breed standard etc, but I think there is a lot of confusion with "pitbulls". We are not sure what our suzie is - she has a lot of APBT features (her head and slim build), but she is quite small like a staff, so I assume that she is a mix.

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

What do ya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Pitbulls come in all differnet shapes and sizes. And since they are not regconised in Ireland they have no specfic breed standard here. There's no such thing as An 'Irish Pitbull' Most Pitbulls here have some sort of mix in it. since they arent regonised by the ikc they have no papers which means no one has a clue what is actually in it. Most people dont know there dogs pedigree either only a handfull do.

Here is a link on what a APBT should be- http://www.apbtconformation.com/

But that is American Based so would be what the American Kennel Club Go By.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

DBCyc, Suzie is beautiful. Such a cutie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

thats the thing like, nobody knows what they have. its a pity they are not recognised so that we could have a proper breed standard like every other dog!!

heres a pic of my fella. he's still young though so i dont know how big he will get? i think he is already at full height though. he is a year and 4 months and weighs in at 20 kg.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Colm/Pictures/S5000911.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Colm/Pictures/S5000911.JPG[/IMG]

thats the thing like, nobody knows what they have. its a pity they are not recognised so that we could have a proper breed standard like every other dog!!

heres a pic of my fella. he's still young though so i dont know how big he will get? i think he is already at full height though. he is a year and 4 months and weighs in at 20 kg.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Colm/Pictures/S5000911.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Colm/Pictures/S5000911.JPG[/IMG]

He is a cracker ;):D

Here is my fella ( black one) He's 2 half years old :)

august007.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As PB's are banned in the UK they have attempted to define the breed. However Court cases have sometimes depended on expert evidence.

You could ask EGAR as I believe that she may of been asked to provide expert testimony.

The UK "definition" is here :

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/cruelty/documents/dogs-guide-enforcers.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I was hoping EGAR would have an answer alright but haven't seen her on here in a little bit, maybe she got a few days away for herself. :)

Someone recently told me that a pitbull in Ireland is a staffie crossed with something else, so that's another theory to throw into the mix!

The American pit bull terrier is the product of interbreeding between terriers and a breed of bulldogs to produce a dog that combined the gameness of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog.

Though the pit bull type dogs were all created with similar crossbreeding between bulldogs and terriers, each individual breed within the type has a somewhat different history

[Quoted From The Wiki-Peida]

So they are a mixed breed. But some do have some good bloodlines.

• Advertisement

am i right in saying that the black pit is boots??

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

TaraR you have a fantastic looking dog there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pitbull and TaraR, absolutely gorgeous dogs. :D

am i right in saying that the black pit is boots??

Yes he is Boots :D
    How do you know lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

there is no such thing as a set standard of pitbull,the pitbull covers a group of dogs,ie american bulldog,american pitbull terrier,american staffordshire bull terrier,and the staffordshire bull terrior,hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

He is a really lovely looking dog! It looks like he's thinking " here he is with this camera again, I am not sure he knows how to use it tho'!:D

TaraR wrote: »
    Yes he is Boots :D
    How do you know lol?
    i recognise him from the other forums. i spoke to u on 1 or 2. i was gonna head up to the walk in phoenix park but our baby was born a few weeks earlier so i couldnt leave them! bouth4 months ago. he's unreal wit the ears n all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greeno2k14

well i was brought up around since i was born pitbulls staffys and rotties and the pit bulls never turned on me or atacked anyone like i have two pitbulls now and one a bitch she lovely around my new born she protects her wont let anyone near her other that me or my wife my male pitbull he follows me around he house so theres no point saying there bad dogs tbh plenty people out there that will agree with me i find small dogs like jack russels and other rat looking yokes are worse. this is a saying i was told by my grandfather theres no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners dogs do what we tell them ya thay think for them selfs but thay think like a child we teach them right from worng not themself's were there mother and father in there eyes so its are job to show them whats worng and right its easy for ye to say that bad dogs but i bet none of ye have one and if ye say ye do its lies pitbulls are the best friend u can get for a child like i was 5 years old and i be walking 5 pitbulls on me own so dont gave thee bs that there bad dogs there this and thay on tilll u have one u wont no what there like just coz people train them for fighting dont make them aggressive becouse there not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

greeno2k14 wrote: »
    well i was brought up around since i was born pitbulls staffys and rotties and the pit bulls never turned on me or atacked anyone like i have two pitbulls now and one a bitch she lovely around my new born she protects her wont let anyone near her other that me or my wife my male pitbull he follows me around he house so theres no point saying there bad dogs tbh plenty people out there that will agree with me i find small dogs like jack russels and other rat looking yokes are worse. this is a saying i was told by my grandfather theres no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners dogs do what we tell them ya thay think for them selfs but thay think like a child we teach them right from worng not themself's were there mother and father in there eyes so its are job to show them whats worng and right its easy for ye to say that bad dogs but i bet none of ye have one and if ye say ye do its lies pitbulls are the best friend u can get for a child like i was 5 years old and i be walking 5 pitbulls on me own so dont gave thee bs that there bad dogs there this and thay on tilll u have one u wont no what there like just coz people train them for fighting dont make them aggressive becouse there not

This thread is four years old, and I don't see anyone saying pit bulls are bad dogs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

greeno2k14 wrote: »

I'm assuming you haven't actually read this thread at all? Nowhere does anyone say anything negative about them, and there are photos of dogs that are indeed owned by posters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

No need to resurrect such an old thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement