Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CCTV streaming on a web page??

• 22-10-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi.

I hope this is the correct forum.

I am looking to access home security CCTV cameras [black and white] from my IPhone.

Can someopne please explain what I need to do here.
    I obviously need to set up a PC as a server and bring the coax cables into some multimedia interface card/box of tricks, load software on the PC to communicate and keep this PC running all the time conected to the net?

I have no background in PCs but would like to try this.
    Any advice etc would be more than appreciated and I am sorry to be asking such basic questions... I don't know where to start.:confused:

I assume that these packages can be bought off the shelf?

I dont need to record the CCTV just watch it live.

Thanks.

Sparktest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sparktest wrote: »
    Hi.
    I hope this is the correct forum. I am looking to access home security CCTV cameras [black and white] from my IPhone.
    Sparktest.

Not an expert in this area Sparktest, but I know the basics of it.. First thing you will need is a static IP for home broadband. Normal IP addresses are assigned through DHCP which means that the IP address of your router can change. And this is something you can avoid by getting a static IP address.

You will also need an IP camera. This is just a camera with power and an ethernet cable.. These days, IP cameras usually come with a built in web server (so you dont need a dedicated PC, unless you wish to record)... You should not need to buy any software as the built in web server will let you access the camera like a web page..

So you just find the IP address (on your Local Area Network) of the IP camera, type that in to your browser and it will send you the video footage.. Once you have it working internally, you just need to set up a port forwarding rule on the router. There are plenty of websites that will show you how to do this for your particular router. This will allow you to access it from the Internet.

That's the basics..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Advertisement