Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum TV Repairs

Options
  • 22-10-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I'm living in Kilkenny but am up every weekend with the girlfriend who has an apartment in Dundrum.

Her tv broke last weekend and I said I would get it sorted for her. The only company I kind find nearby was Dundrum TV Repairs on the Dundrum Road near Bird Avenue.

The guy rang me early this week to say the tv is banjaked as the transformer is gone and it would cost less to get a new one and even if he fixed it the same problem would come back. I said to leave it with me as I needed to speak to the girlfriend.

I spoke to him again today and we were talking about how to get rid of it and he said he had a guy who picks up things like that from him and charges €20. He then said he had a 2nd hand 32' screen he could sell to us for €100 while also getting rid of the old one.

Sounds a little ropey but if true would be a good trade-off.

Anybody ever used them before and know if they are reputable?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I used the guy when my vintage Sony CRT gave up the ghost. I had to pay him to pick it up and have a look at it, so fair play to you if you got away with not paying up front. He was very straight about it, and I clearly understood there was a good chance that it would not be viable to repair it.

You can dispose of unwanted electrical items for free at Ballyogan anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks!

What's ropey about it? If he's in the business of repairing TVs then of course he's going to have old working models, probably ones that were fixed by cannibalising parts from other models on their way to the scrap heap, it's sounds a lot more kosher than the car radio you'd buy from a guy in a pub.

That type of business is fast disappearing, there used to be a TV repair place up in Stillorgan but when I took a look they were closed so I just brought my old Mitsubishi to Ballyogan and bought new. There's also a place in Shanganagh, it's beside the cemetery and they'll take old TVs and electrical stuff for free. Both Shanganagh and Ballyogan are run by DLR Co. Co, provided you turn up in a private vehicle (saloon or estate, no commercial markings) and have no domestic refuse there's no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

coylemj wrote: »
    What's ropey about it? If he's in the business of repairing TVs then of course he's going to have old working models, probably ones that were fixed by cannibalising parts from other models on their way to the scrap heap, it's sounds a lot more kosher than the car radio you'd buy from a guy in a pub.

That type of business is fast disappearing, there used to be a TV repair place up in Stillorgan but when I took a look they were closed so I just brought my old Mitsubishi to Ballyogan and bought new. There's also a place in Shanganagh, it's beside the cemetery and they'll take old TVs and electrical stuff for free. Both Shanganagh and Ballyogan are run by DLR Co. Co, provided you turn up in a private vehicle (saloon or estate, no commercial markings) and have no domestic refuse there's no charge.

Do you not think its a little ropey that he was trying to flog me a tv after telling me the one I gave him to fix was beyond repair. He also knows damn well I know very little about tvs.

If he was dodgy he could take the one I gave him, fix it and sell it on himself while also getting €100.

I may be thinking the worst but just posted to hear other people's good or bad experiences of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I used the guy when my vintage Sony CRT gave up the ghost. I had to pay him to pick it up and have a look at it, so fair play to you if you got away with not paying up front. He was very straight about it, and I clearly understood there was a good chance that it would not be viable to repair it.

You can dispose of unwanted electrical items for free at Ballyogan anytime.

Thanks for that. I actually gave him a €20 deposit when I went in.

Was he able to fix yours?

Nope - the parts would have cost more than a new TV, so it went to scrap. I miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JohnnyMicMac

I got my tv "fixed" from this guy, got it back after a week and when I got home the tv worked for about 3-4 hours then went again. I brought it back to him and he looked at it again, after another 2 weeks he told me the screen was gone (not his original assessment).
    The tv couldn't be repaired at a reasonable price. He did offer me a tv as compensation, which I declined, as I wanted my tv fixed and not some repaired second hand one.
    I didn't believe my tv was broken beyond reasonable repair, so I brought it to a repair shop in Rathmines. They have fixed it and guaranteed the work.
    I really think this guy doesn't have a clue and kept saying the screen was "arcing", but never fully explained what this meant.
    I'd stir clear from this place as I think their tv repair skills went out with the old tube tvs!!

I'm living in Kilkenny but am up every weekend with the girlfriend who has an apartment in Dundrum.

Her tv broke last weekend and I said I would get it sorted for her. The only company I kind find nearby was Dundrum TV Repairs on the Dundrum Road near Bird Avenue.

The guy rang me early this week to say the tv is banjaked as the transformer is gone and it would cost less to get a new one and even if he fixed it the same problem would come back. I said to leave it with me as I needed to speak to the girlfriend.

I spoke to him again today and we were talking about how to get rid of it and he said he had a guy who picks up things like that from him and charges €20. He then said he had a 2nd hand 32' screen he could sell to us for €100 while also getting rid of the old one.

Anybody ever used them before and know if they are reputable?

Thanks!

I got my tv "fixed" from this guy, got it back after a week and when I got home the tv worked for about 3-4 hours then went again. I brought it back to him and he looked at it again, after another 2 weeks he told me the screen was gone (not his original assessment).
    The tv couldn't be repaired at a reasonable price. He did offer me a tv as compensation, which I declined, as I wanted my tv fixed and not some repaired second hand one.
    I didn't believe my tv was broken beyond reasonable repair, so I brought it to a repair shop in Rathmines. They have fixed it and guaranteed the work.
    I really think this guy doesn't have a clue and kept saying the screen was "arcing", but never fully explained what this meant.
    I'd stir clear from this place as I think their tv repair skills went out with the old tube tvs!!
    Very postive or very negative reviews from first-time posters are often treated with scepticism.

Fair enough, just trying to give a heads up. I felt strongly enough about this so I joined boards.ie
    Let people find out for themselves so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Fair enough, just trying to give a heads up. I felt strongly enough about this so I joined boards.ie
    Let people find out for themselves so.

Who was the crowd you used in Rathmines?. I have my digi box in with yer man in Dundrum. If he can't sort it might use your lads.

Gallagher's TV. No completes what so ever. Professional. Let me know how you get on with Dundrum TV?

• Advertisement
Advertisement