Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Masterchef

Options
  • 22-10-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Is anyone the same as me and lovin the New Australian Masterchef on Watch every evening. It is so much better and more exciting than the English version. So two things:

Did anyone try Maggie Beers pastry that she used for the Pigeon Pie? The pastry looked amazing - so I was going to try it with a beef pie at the weekend. Just wondering if it tastes as good as it looks!

Also - just an observation, but the TV producers seem to be very diplomatic in what they are showing i.e. no 'back-stabbing or bitching. I am getting the vibe that Joanna is not too popular in the house at the moment and is just hanging in there by a thread. The blue team failed the canape challenge on board the cruiser and from what I could see, Joanne stuffed up everything she did - salmon, tampora batter etc. And then Jake who managed to rescue the salmon dish and remove all the bones that Joanna left in, was put in the elimination and then eliminated. Think Aaron as team leader should have put himself up for the elimination instead of Jake. Just my views!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

I love masterchef australia!
    This is the second series and think it is much better then the english version.

Havent tried any of the recipes yet but would love to try the MB pastry.

Yes I get the same vibe about Joanne, but then again im not liking her too much, she just doesnt seem to be able to follow things through in team challenges. And was very surprised that she nominated herself for elemination, she has previously passed the blame onto others.

I dont like her and wished she got eleminated! Her time will come (hopefully soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rockys Lover

At last, someone else who watches it, I love it, sky plus it if I'm not in.

Missed it last night and can't believe poor Jack is gone, he had such a sad face and really didnt deserve to go down for that wagon Joannas mistakes. Never really took to her but lost all respect when a couple of weeks ago she they were doing a team challenge and she said she just wanted to say that she was not involved in the making the pastry (or something like that) when it was slated by the judges - the look of shock on everyone elses faces said it all! I think she must have been trying to redeem herself by putting herself up for elimination.

Watched last year too and keep meaning to buy Julies cookbook, was delighted when she won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Was in shock the other night when the judge tasted the pasta, made a face as if he had just ate dog shít, said 'disgusting' and dropped the plate to the ground.

Then it went to the ads... I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

When it came back it repeated the scene... only for yer man to say 'disgusting-ly good'... everyone sighed with relief... including me.

Very good show... way better than the UK version. The format is great with the cookery classes, the challenges and the take on the pro.

The Aussie version you feel you get to know more about the competitors and their personality.

The UK version is so stale, rigid and repetitive. in it's format

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

Rockys Lover,
    That is the exact reason why i have gone off joanna - when she said she had nothing to do with the pastry or whatever it was when clearly she did and just didnt own up to it.

Yeah i sky+ it every night and watch it around 9 or so as im relaxing.

Who is everyones favourites?
    I really like marion, think she has great potential to be in the final
    Like Aaron too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I love the theme music more than anything... the corniest thing I've heard in donkey's years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have it sky plussed too! Watch it saturday mornings.

I hate Joanna, and don't like Sharnee. I don't think either can cook and think both are air heads.

I love Marion and Alvin. Also think Adam is a pretty good cook.

I often try the masterclass recipes. There was a fab kofta recipe last year, and a stuffed squid recipe which was yum also. I havne't tried too many yet this year, but thats more due to lack of time. The veal saltimbocca and the prawn kalamaki is on my list..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

I think Marian is brilliant and also Alvin. BUT I MADE A BIG MISTAKE YESTERDAY - SO BE WARNED .. I googled Masterchef Australia cos I wanted to get a few recipes and there in bold print was the winner (cos it has already been aired in Aussie)!! I was sooo close to tears cos I just didnt want to know who won. Kinda spoiled the excitement for me now, but dont worry I will not tell you all.

So just dont google it unless you want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

PaddyJules wrote: »
    The blue team failed the canape challenge on board the cruiser and from what I could see, Joanne stuffed up everything she did - salmon, tampora batter etc. And then Jake who managed to rescue the salmon dish and remove all the bones that Joanna left in, was put in the elimination and then eliminated. Think Aaron as team leader should have put himself up for the elimination instead of Jake. Just my views!!

This "gameshow" slant on it ruins it for me, to be honest.

I think they really re-invented the format well, and then ruined it by making a show where being the worst in a given round doesn't get you kicked out.

The English masterchef format isn't without its flaws either, to be honest, but it still feels (to me, at least) to be more of a cooking competition then a cooking-themed gameshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For people who watch the Aussie show, i'll just mention this.

Snow Egg, yum

(if it means nothing yet, watch the final)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The show format has it's ups and downs, but it is gripping
    It is very much about a story rather than cooking alone

Some of the taste test seems like luck more than anything else rather than 'skills'

It is highly addictive though

and some of the dishes they make in the final week are amazing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What channel is it on?

Its on watch at 7pm. It repeated on Watch +1 at 8.

I've gone of Aaron since the team challenge. He should have been in the pressure test instead of Jake or Marion.

Am still waiting for Joanne to be eliminated.

Paddyjules - I made the same mistake as you! I was so mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Haha this show is my guilty pleasure :D If I think I may miss it I make sure I have it on the plus box recorded. Really like Claire, Adam and Alvin.
    Sadly I also made the Google mistake :eek::(

I agree with you Dinkie - Aaron should def have been in the elimination and not Jake. There are a few coasting along at the mo that shouldnt still be there but I am sure they will be put under pressure soon as the numbers start decreasing.

I have it Sky+'d so that I can watch it on my own with no interruptions when the kids are out. Oh what a sad life I lead when Aussie Masterchef is the highlight of my day!!

Glad I am not the only one that googled and got the winner - but be careful chaps that you do not let slip on this forum and spoil it for all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

So glad I found this thread. I just LOVE this show...I also know who wins it, but it doesn't spoil it for me at all. And if last years show is anything to go by, there will still be a few surprises thrown in (bringing back eliminated contestants..) Poh for example was eliminated last year, brought back, and became runner up to Julie- She's has her own show now 'Poh's Kitchen' so win or loose, the exposure is great..
    The format is better than last year also, imo, Less of the 'house' and more of the 'kitchen'. Love the masterclasses, really feel like I do pick up a few tricks and ideas...As for the contestants- I was sad to see peter go, surprised Joanne is still there, Sharnee is winging it. The rest of them have great potential. And the judges fancy sky :D
    I have challenged my OH to a ' mystery box challenge' haven't gotten around to it yet, but we are hoping to do it some night soon (when kids are in bed).
    I know...we are SAD- but i think it will be fun, and hopefully I'll get a nice dinner out of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'm a big fan of Aussie Masterchef. The second series is better than the first. I was never a fan of the elimination rounds where each contestant skewered their nominated evictee's name onto a spike in front of the person. Too much of that depended on personality and allegiances and not enough on cooking ability. At least now the elimination rounds depend on skills, palate and food knowledge.

The success of the first series is evident in the scramble by the great and the good in the food industry to appear on the show. The glitterati of the UK food scene are flying half around the world to make a guest appearance.

The masterclasses are the best part of the whole thing. Either the cooking by George and Gary, or the specials by the guest chefs - all brilliant (Well mostly). I could hardly believe that Matt Moran thought a quesadilla of crab and sweetcorn was worthy of a masterclass. Adam also looked very unimpressed. Of the masterclasses, the Fruit Carnival with Sugar Tuile, Aerated Fruit Chocolate and Toffee Apple by Darren Purchese was the standout for me. He almost made it look easy.... ingredients may be difficult to source, powdered cocoa butter anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Not a fan of the Australian version at all from what I've seen. Is it pretty much like cooking in a Big Brother house?

Obviously the English version has some annoying aspects too (the constant asking a constant if they have what it takes to win gets pretty tedious after a while) but I prefer the format of it all tbh.

Just want to share my pure joy that Joanne got eliminated from the Australian Masterchef. YAHOO !! Now it is a cooking competition with good chefs in it that all deserve to win. She was really annoying the last few weeks - so glad she is gone now.

Ah feck. I new I shouldn't have opened this thread. I'm a couple of programmes behind - watched two episodes this morning (throwin a sickie) and saw that Jonno and your woman were in the elimination round. Never mind.

Last year when the series was about half way through (on Watch) I went looking for some recipes on the Masterchef website. There on the website was Julie as the winner. This year I've avoided the Masterchef website so I don't find out who wins. Then two weeks ago a friend of mine on Facebook commented on a picture posted by a friend of hers (keep up). Picture was a snap of herself and this years winner. Terrific! So I sit there with Mrs Minder watching the show trying desparately to avoid giving something away.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm gunning for Callum to win it..

.. the guy goes from being an absolute disaster at times to being hugely talented, and one of the more likable contestants.

• Advertisement

I watched the Donna Hay masterclass last night. What an absolutely brilliant episode. She taught the contestents so much it was fantastic to watch. Unfortunately it was all about self promotion. She may be a million selling author, food stylist and editor (of her own magazine) but I fail to see the relevance of the Miss Piggy impersonator's contribution to the show.

Damn, I'm going to have to start avoiding this thread.... I haven't watched Jo get kicked out yet.... I was going to watch it today.

Am still glad though. How she got this far is beyond me. Much better contestants have been sent home before she was.

Sorry me again ! Had a problem with my sky box and it failed to record Masterchef Aussie on Thursday and Friday eve. In severe mourning now!! Not too worried about Fridays ones as it was masterclass, but I am mad to know what happened on Thurs. It was the elimination between Aaron and the guy who cooks the currys. They had to fix a dish or something. Did anyone watch it and what happened and who was eliminated?

Split decision between Gary and George, so they called it a dead heat and neither contestant went home. Both Jimmy & Aaron still in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I have to say I don't like Aaron at all, and he doesn't seem all that popular with the other contestants either. I enjoyed the Masterclass yesterday, especially Alvin and Adam's private class, all that chocolate :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Minder wrote: »
    Split decision between Gary and George, so they called it a dead heat and neither contestant went home. Both Jimmy & Aaron still in it.
    They probably did that so Aaron wouldn't kill someone if he got knocked out - very intense chap!
    Did you spot both he and Claire weren't in the kitchen in the house the night the others were welcomed back?

-C.

Yes noticed that they were not drinking champers with them all. Claire was very put-out that the others came back, as was Aaron. Surely if they had all watched series 1 then they would have been prepared for the eliminated contestants to reappear.

Really enjoy watching Marion and listening to her comments. And think Alvin is a very funny guy with his facial expressions and views.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Hope Marion gets through this challenge, reckon Aaron could struggle

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Yes noticed that they were not drinking champers with them all. Claire was very put-out that the others came back, as was Aaron. Surely if they had all watched series 1 then they would have been prepared for the eliminated contestants to reappear.

The decision in the first series to bring back previously eliminated contestants was hugely controversial - the public outcry was massive. Maybe those in this series were hoping that the producers thought better of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I thoroughly enjoyy Australian Masterchef too. Most compelling and addictive :P

Advertisement