Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney signs new 5 year deal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

hmmm i didnt like rooney before but i have a new admiration for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I assume that Fergie has basically gotten in a one on one with him and convinced him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Delighted Rooney is staying, it was an unbelievable week! Some of the stories were very hard to take!

Now United must invest! Midfield is a priority as wedensday night proved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

eh how about YOU get YOUR facts right, i said nothing of the sort...

No it was another poster. Why did you reply to a post with a direct quote in it?

I was asking him not to generalise, and you jumped in and said some people have friends outside boards? Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

30t0x7a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Or there is an agreement there to let him go in the summer for decidedly more than the 5m they would have lost him for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ferguson the master wrong foots everyone, Dunphy the dope is wrong yet again.

Is everyone who was wrong a dope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm so disillusioned to be honest.

He acted like a knob-end, showed a complete lack of respect for the manager and his team mates by basically intimating that he was above them, even though he's the one that hasn't been able to hit a barn door in 7 months. And all, by the looks of it, a thinly veiled smokescreen for an extra few grand per week.

He's got some making up to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Delighted :D

Thank fcuk he never had the chance to end up at Chelsea. Ye can keep him lads.

Hope all the United fans can look at Rooney in the same light as some of the "money grabbing, mercenary" Man City players.

Well done Wayne, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He just trolled the press.
    Hahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Rooney is the master in this one no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Called it days ago http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68606092#post68606092

Looking at it from a slightly different angle, this puts a lot of pressure on the Glazers to make money available. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of credibility for an experienced manager like Alex Ferguson to engineer this situation to put the pressure on the owners to give him funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

quad_red wrote: »
    A photoshop of what Rooney will look like in a United strip.

rooney1.jpg

hahaha

article-1321997-0BAE0063000005DC-568_634x370.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

JPA wrote: »
    Rooney is the master in this one no?

Coleen is the master, new contract signed so NOW she will divorce him and take 50% :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

"Club no longer match my ambitions"....48 hours ago.

All Utd fans are falling for this hook, line and sinker. He has made your club and its board look like a joke in the few days and now all is forgiven. Jesus weeps.

• Advertisement

5ForKeeps wrote: »

All Utd fans are falling for this hook, line and sinker. He has made your club and its board look like a joke in the few days and now all is forgiven. Jesus weeps.

As long as he score goals and wins games, that's all that's matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Please quote where United fans have forgiven him? You forgiven Gerrard for the same?

If he gets his act together then I will forgive him but he has a long long way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

quite
    "Steven has told us he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave," a Liverpool club statement read.

Gerrard also issued a statement which said: "This has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make."

He added: "I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions League final, but the events of the past five to six weeks have changed all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not too many people play hardball with sir a and win. Fair play to him, got both things he wanted I would imagine. He must have had the assurances and obviously got the money too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The master?

Rooney scared the club into giving him an extra few quid. I'm not quite sure how Fergie came out of this situation as the master.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

RTÉ are reporting a £190k a week contract.

All in all, this saga has been a joke.

RasTa wrote: »
    Please quote where United fans have forgiven him? You forgiven Gerrard for the same?[/QUOTE]

Quote, look at all the posts on here you will see how he has being forgiven. Gerrard did it twice and I still haven't forgiven him.

Iago wrote: »
    quite

As I said in my above post I have never forgiven Gerrard for doing it, not only once but twice.

"Wayne Rooney, Rooney
    He kisses the badge on his chest,
    Then puts in a transfer request,
    Wayne Rooney, Rooney"

*ahem*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

"Colleen forgave you but we won't"

Emmmm.....new banner time lads?

I actually hope that fans will give him a bit of stick, he shouldn't be able to behave like this (saying he's not a mercenary and is leaving because we have no ambition and then stay for a wad of cash) and then assume everything will be like it was before.

Unfortunately I imagine a lot of fans will jump back on the Rooney bandwagon. He should need to earn the fans affection back.

FatherTed wrote: »
    As long as he score goals and wins games, that's all that's matters.

Time will tell if that is the case. After Evra's and Vidic's comments, clearly some of the squad see him as a disruptive influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He acted like a knob-end, showed a complete lack of respect for the manager and his team mates by basically intimating that he was above them, even though he's the one that hasn't been able to hit a barn door in 7 months. And all, by the looks of it, a thinly veiled smokescreen for an extra few grand per week.

This kinda sums up my feelings.

Im definitely happy hes staying and hope we can kick on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

RasTa wrote: »
    Please quote where United fans have forgiven him? You forgiven Gerrard for the same?

look at all the posts on here you will see how he has being forgiven. Gerrard did it twice and I still haven't forgiven him.

at a guess (and just roughly mind you) what % of United fans do you think are posting on boards.ie? and then what % of those have forgiven Rooney?

In overall terms, would you say the number "isn't statistically significant?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So Rooney puts out that statement, but then he thinks about things. He walks along the beach with his dog bouncing excitedly at his legs, skimming stones out across the ocean, cloudy memories above his head of his goal against Newcastle, himself and Ferguson sharing a joke at training, inserting his penis into those prostitutes vaginas all soundtracked by Celine Dion's All By Myself and decides to do the right and honourable thing.

He makes the brave decision and goes straight across to Carrington and signs that 200k a week contract.

Good man Wayne. Good man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

"Wayne Rooney, Rooney
    He kisses the badge on his chest,
    Then puts in a transfer request,
    Wayne Rooney, Rooney"

*ahem*

To the tune of?

• Advertisement

To the tune of?

Man United's Steven Gerrard song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I don't get this...his reasons for leaving were that the future squad wasn't going to be good enough, that the club wouldn't have the funds to continue to compete.

2 days later and this situation has changed?!? Obviously not. They must of thrown more money at him. I would be very p1ssed off if I was the current United players, and also a United fan.

Of course they all know how important he is so they will forgive him. Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not too many people play hardball with sir a and win. Fair play to him, got both things he wanted I would imagine. He must have had the assurances and obviously got the money too!

If he got the assurances he claimed he was looking for previously then I am delighted, cause I would like assurances on the same issues (but I am in no position to get them, unlike Rooney).

If it was all about money for Rooney, he would be gone, United could not match what City would offer so it simply can't just be about money (though getting as much as he could off United is obviously no small part of the issue).

Wayne is still a dope in my eyes, time heals and all that and he may well win us over, but for now he's still a spanner.

That said, Fergie = absolute managerial God. Played the whole thing beautifully.

How do we know how much the contract was for? Fergie already said it was a huge contract so why would Man Utd up the deal AFTER going public about it on Tuesday? That would not make sense. My guess is that Stretford thought he would play hard-ball by leaking stories to the press saying Rooney would not sign a new deal. Then Fergie called him out on it in the press conference on Tuesday. After seeing everyone's reaction, Rooney's camp realized they screwed up and ultimately came back to the table to sign the deal.

Rooney will now have to do what Rio did and win everyone back by keeping his head down and putting in good performances on the pitch.

Meanwhile Ben Hibs says on twitter
    Just spoken to Fergie. He says Rooney's apologised to him and the players. 16 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Quote of the day from a mate of mine of Facebook who was... Particularily vocal about cursing Wayne Rooney on Tuesday:

"I said some bad things, but I also cursed my mother out today... Doesnt mean im gonna hate her forever!"

:D

at a guess (and just roughly mind you) what % of United fans do you think are posting on boards.ie? and then what % of those have forgiven Rooney?

A large percentage of the Utd support on this Island I would imagine unless they are still trolling the Liverpool forums. Whatever I say percentage won't matter but going on by a number of posts everyone is delighted despite him taking the piss out of your great club in the last number of days.

The overall significance will be seen in the coming weeks and months to what impact it has on him and the rest of your squad because he has made enemies within the squad.

1) Masterplan by Fergie to loosen the purse strings of the Glazers
    2) Rooney acting like an ungrateful child and being rewarded for it
    3) Fergie bringing him around at a reasonable agreement (until I see confirmed figures this is possible)
    4) After a week of phonecalls, he realised that only City were willing to pay him enough money to switch so turned around
    5) He gets a nice deal on a short term basis and united flog him at £50m at the end of this or next season

If we could guarantee to get the money for transfers I wouldn't mind option 5 to be honest. On form he is our best striker and a Berba Rooney partnership with both firing would be great to see at last but I'm seriously disillusioned about him now.

While he's a great striker we haven't been overly short of goals this season and we could strengthen other areas if he was gone.

If he stays he has it all to do to win (me anyway) the fans back.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dermotsull13

After all the rubbish Dunphy talked on RTE Wednesday night he can go f*ck himself...absolute clown of a football analyst...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

chef wrote: »
    I think xavi will need to change his sig now!!!!!
    Was funny though.

Ahem!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Genuinely not sure how to think about this.

1) Masterplan by Fergie to loosen the purse strings of the Glazers

i wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson was in on this aswell, Rooney the prized asset, imo he saw the leverage that he could have to buy some new players because rooney demands investment, specially with Utd supporters wanting the glazers out and loving rooney. it seems like a crazy u-turn, but wouldn't be surprised. jus my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

niallo24 wrote: »
    I don't get this...his reasons for leaving were that the future squad wasn't going to be good enough, that the club wouldn't have the funds to continue to compete.

2 days later and this situation has changed?!? Obviously not. They must of thrown more money at him. I would be very p1ssed off if I was the current United players, and also a United fan.

His reasons for threatening to leave were purely financial.
    He was calling United's bluff and in a way they counter bluffed him.
    Its been obvious from the start that it was all a stunt by Rooney to get a huge pay deal and he didnt really have any viable clubs he could move to.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68564297&postcount=134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

niallo24 wrote: »

Of course they all know how important he is so they will forgive him. Joke.

well, it could change, actually.

In august (not two days ago) assurances were not given about future strengthening of the squad.

Over the last two days, possibly, discussions have taken place between United and Rooney/Reps in which assurances were given. Ergo things changed.

Possibly.

I'm sure more money helped, but he got have got a lot more at City so it can't be just about money.

Interestingly, rumours about United looking at Henderson and Rodwell have intesified over the last couple of days, and there was a lot of journo's talking about it this morning on twitter so maybe they have heard interest and moves for those two players were confirmed to Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've no idea say 20% on the soccer forum and the fans that will forgive him over this are Homerjay, PHB and Mitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Player and club come out looking terrible here as far as I can see.

Rooney states that the club don't have the pulling power they once had and that he wants to leave. He then takes a massive pay increase, therefore eating into the clubs already waning finances. Where is the sense in that Wayne?

The club just look as if Rooney and his agents have bent them over backwards and anally raped them without any lube. The clubs finances (in this case its asshole) are hemorrhaging more than every.

I would genuinely love to know the opinions of Uniteds senior players here. What must Darren Fletcher be on? 50-60k at a guess? Is Rooney worth 4-5 times Darrens wage? Not in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Quote, look at all the posts on here you will see how he has being forgiven.

Generalisations make Baby Jesus cry. Perhaps you conveniently missed the posts below.

The Muppet wrote: »
    LOLZ . we must be no longer lacking ambition, Thank Jebus for that.

The Gob****e
    Cleese wrote: »
    I am a United fan and this is dispicable.

His antics are shocking, the money is obscene.
    I second this. I think he has behaved disgracefully this week. He will need to improve a hell of a lot if he is to justify his place in the starting eleven given his sh1te performances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

I've being saying all week that he wasn't going anywhere. It was just Rooney playing chicken with the club. He obviously just thought that to get the assurances he wanted or to get a bigger salary, he had to pull a stunt like this, with the fergie and gill anyway. But fergie, genius that he is, made it public and turned the whole thing around on him. I guarantee that Rooney never wanted or intended to leave the club. He was just an idiot thinking he could play mind games with the master.

But i don't buy into fergie masterminding this to get more money from the glazers, if he wanted to put pressure on them all he'd have to do is say to them, give me more money or else i'm going to quit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

only one thing to say really

lolololololololololololol

I will also be interested to see the effect on the rest of the squad after the player who said they weren't good enough to match his ambition gets rewarded with a shiny new contract.

I hope it spurs them on but it can't make for a comfortable dressing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Rooney will never be the same to me, in terms of the way I supported him. But i'm glad he's signed.

It absolutely was the money, IMO. He got a decent lump, not as much as City could have paid him, but hey, he probably likes us slightly better. It also means there's a likelihood there's a few bob more to spend than people reckon -- speculate to accumulate, etc. etc. -- but I'm happier than I was yesterday, truth be told!

• Advertisement
Advertisement