Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney signs new 5 year deal

Comments

Oh and LOL @ the opposition fans:

John Terry to City

Stevie Me to Chelsea

Rooney to ??????

They're all as bad as each other. This isn't some kind of "victory" for you. It merely shows you that modern footballers (and their agents) are greedy morons. They're all as bad as each other.

Stretford orchestrated this, and got played off the park by Fergie tbh. United had a big offer on the table BEFORE this all started. People like Stretford are what's wrong with modern football. And regardless of what bitter opposition fans of various clubs will say, people like Fergie (and Ancellotti, Roy etc) are what remains as good for the game.

If I were to express how I feel about Wayne Rooney right now, I'd get banned. But I haven't forgiven him as the generalization brigade would imply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    I've no idea say 20% on the soccer forum and the fans that will forgive him over this are Homerjay, PHB and Mitch.

I'll forgive him cause it would be hypocritical for me not to.

His statement on Wednesday indicated he wanted to leave because he was not happy with the direction the club was going in re. transfer policy.

I have stated for 2 years I am not happy with the transfer policy (BUY SOME DAMNED CMs AND STOP RELYING ON GIGGS AND SCHOLES!!).

Had he signed for City it would have hurt bad, had he left at all it would have hurt, but I am not going to abuse the guy for saying the same things I have been saying - the only difference is the level of exposure what he says gets (obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

"Wayne Rooney, Rooney
    He kisses the badge on his chest,
    Then puts in a transfer request,
    Wayne Rooney, Rooney"

*ahem*

Haha. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Rooney is being paid what's starting to be reported, then i have absolutely no idea how Ferguson comes out of this as a genius, unless it's merely a plan to sell him in the summer for a lot more than £5m.

if Utd simply bowed to Rooney's demands, then master Wayne has doggy-styled the club big time.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=833&filename=trtw.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm disappointed to be honest, I was wary of who would be brought in as a replacement, but I wanted to see how it would pan out for him, Ferguson & United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

monkey9 wrote: »
    So Rooney puts out that statement, but then he thinks about things. He walks along the beach with his dog bouncing excitedly at his legs, skimming stones out across the ocean, cloudy memories above his head of his goal against Newcastle, himself and Ferguson sharing a joke at training, inserting his penis into those prostitutes vaginas all soundtracked by Celine Dion's All By Myself and decides to do the right and honourable thing.

He makes the brave decision and goes straight across to Carrington and signs that 200k a week contract.

Good man Wayne. Good man!

lmfao.............classic !!!!!!!!!!

SlickRic wrote: »
    if Rooney is being paid what's starting to be reported, then i have absolutely no idea how Ferguson comes out of this as a genius, unless it's merely a plan to sell him in the summer for a lot more than £5m.

if Utd simply bowed to Rooney's demands, then master Wayne has doggy-styled the club big time.

What demands though? Rooney called off all negotiations and refused to discuss a deal - so there were no demands and no offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

monkey9 wrote: »
    So Rooney puts out that statement, but then he thinks about things. He walks along the beach with his dog bouncing excitedly at his legs, skimming stones out across the ocean, cloudy memories above his head of his goal against Newcastle, himself and Ferguson sharing a joke at training, inserting his penis into those prostitutes vaginas all soundtracked by Celine Dion's All By Myself and decides to do the right and honourable thing.

He makes the brave decision and goes straight across to Carrington and signs that 200k a week contract.

Good man Wayne. Good man!

comedic gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Such a better read than the rooney refusing to sign a new contract thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'm delighted Wayne saw the light and signed a contract. Nice to know how much City and Chelsea would welcome him to their clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What demands though? Rooney called off all negotiations and refused to discuss a deal - so there were no demands and no offers.

There was a deal left on the table, according to fergie. Clearly Rooney took it. Nobody can say for sure, but I think fergie's "pathetic" press conference on Tuesday may have worked on rooney to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ferguson called is bluff and lost. Ferguson has come out of this a weaker manager and has clearly lost his 'edge'.

mar-z wrote: »
    I will also be interested to see the effect on the rest of the squad after the player who said they weren't good enough to match his ambition gets rewarded with a shiny new contract.

I hope it spurs them on but it can't make for a comfortable dressing room.

But that is making an assumption.

Rooney stated lack of ambition.

That is, possibly, not an indictment of the current squad, but irritation that he could get no assurances regarding transfer spending going forward. This coming summer we potentially have to replace Van Der Sar, Giggs and Scholes, maybe Hargreaves too. So what Rooney said could be leveled towards future purchases, which is something many players have done.

I think I read about Gerrard and Torres previously having discussions with Liverpool managers about the direction of the club - it is the same thing. Same with Fabregas, same with Van Persie. They were happy with what they heard, seemingly. Rooney was not, seemingly (from what has been said no assurances at all were given in August)

Ferguson called is bluff and lost. Ferguson has come out of this a weaker manager and has clearly lost his 'edge'.

How? Did Rooney leave?

How is Rooney signing a new contract result from Fergie losing? Does Fergie have to pay his contract himself?

How? Did Rooney leave?

How is Rooney signing a new contract result from Fergie losing? Does Fergie have to pay his contract himself?

Because he really, really wants to believe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'll forgive him cause it would be hypocritical for me not to.

His statement on Wednesday indicated he wanted to leave because he was not happy with the direction the club was going in re. transfer policy.

I have stated for 2 years I am not happy with the transfer policy (BUY SOME DAMNED CMs AND STOP RELYING ON GIGGS AND SCHOLES!!).

Had he signed for City it would have hurt bad, had he left at all it would have hurt, but I am not going to abuse the guy for saying the same things I have been saying - the only difference is the level of exposure what he says gets (obviously)

Well said and spot on.

I'm sure Rooney was given assurances about the squad and future transfers that may happen in January and the summer. If Rooney is still not happy within a year he could hand in a transfer request and still leave for the reasons he gave in his statement.

Once a Red, Always a Red!!!!

:D

• Advertisement

LOL

2.5/10

How? Did Rooney leave?

It was clearly a power battle between the two. Fergie lost big time.
    I'd say Rooney was looking for a big increase in wages back in August and was told he wasn't getting it so he told them he was leaving. Fergie played hard ball for a few months and when he realised that Rooney was serious he went grovelling like a bitch and eventually gave in and paid him.

I'd say Rooney was looking for a big increase in wages back in August and was told he wasn't getting it so he told them he was leaving. Fergie played hard ball for a few months and when he realised that Rooney was serious he went grovelling like a bitch and eventually gave in and paid him.

He turned the entire country against Rooney, Englands great hope.... yep....b1tch.

Your choice of language truly reflects your lack of a brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Iago wrote: »
    Genuinely not sure how to think about this.

1) Masterplan by Fergie to loosen the purse strings of the Glazers
    2) Rooney acting like an ungrateful child and being rewarded for it
    3) Fergie bringing him around at a reasonable agreement (until I see confirmed figures this is possible)
    4) After a week of phonecalls, he realised that only City were willing to pay him enough money to switch so turned around
    5) He gets a nice deal on a short term basis and united flog him at £50m at the end of this or next season

I think 2 & 4 are most likely, 3 and 5 are a possibility & 1 is how I would like it to have played out.

If it's 2 or 4 then I think that in the long term this is a bad move for the club and we may regret it.

My thinking would be along those lines too. I would love to know the clauses in his new contract.

Fergie has gone up in my estimation over his whole handling of this situation, he didn't let the situation deterioate to an extent that bridges were burned and let the good of the club take precedence. What a man , What a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

lol, and one more poster who I can just skip over in future. If that's the limit of your footballing knowledge and insight I feel confident I won't miss anything too groundbreaking.

You do realise Fergie doesn't negotiate contracts, right? That is Gill's job.

The second half of your post seems nothing like what has happened or been reported in the last week.

So in a power struggle where Fergie wanted Rooney to stay, and Rooney stayed, Fergie lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Fair play to Rooney for being the first at the club to highlight the effects the Glazer debt is having on the current and future success of the club.

So, is Rooney still injured??? :pac:

L'prof wrote: »
    So, is Rooney still injured??? :pac:

Yes. He signed a contract. That's not a cure for injuries, afaik.

You do realise Fergie doesn't negotiate contracts, right? That is Gill's job.

The second half of your post seems nothing like what has happened or been reported in the last week.

So in a power struggle where Fergie wanted Rooney to stay, and Rooney stayed, Fergie lost.

Nice edit :)

Do you honestly think Fergie has no say in contract negotiations? cop on.

Since when does anything that's reported or not make it factual?

Rooney got his loot and stayed. Rooney won. Fergie looks silly, really silly.

davyjose wrote: »
    Yes. He signed a contract. That's not a cure for injuries, afaik.

We'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Oh and LOL @ the opposition fans:

John Terry to City

Stevie Me to Chelsea

Rooney to ??????

I agree with the sentiment that all modern days players are greedy cunts, but for me the Rooney situation was not the same as the other 2 you mentioned.

If Terry had been sold to City we just would have went out and bought another center half, we all know he hasn't been great the past year or so anyway.

If Gerrard was sold to Chelsea, while Liverpool may not have been able to replace him like for like, they certainly would have been able to use the money to strengthen the squad.

If Rooney was sold it meant United were losing their last remaining world class attacking option, the money would have been used to service loans and in the eyes of many it could have been the start of a downward spiral for the club.

IMO he showed an incredible disregard for the club and its fans, and this really is a horrible case of a player holding a club at gunpoint for his own benefit, much more so than anyone who did it before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

All I can say is that Im a happy man.How it must sting the opposition fans to see him staying.;)

Nice edit :)

Do you honestly think Fergie has no say in contract negotiations? cop on.

Since when does anything that's reported or not make it factual?

Rooney got his loot and stayed. Rooney won. Fergie looks silly, really silly.

Rooney got a pay rise, rooney wins.
    Fergie keeps his best player, Fergie wins.

Neither person has lost in this situation, Fergie can only have lost if he wanted Rooney to leave and Rooney 'calling his bluff' is actually Rooney agreeing to stay. Unless that is the case, Fergie did not, and could not be seen to, lose. Very simple.

As for Fergie looking silly.... people saying that are you, and....

All press and pundits are saying Fergie played a blinder, whether Rooney stayed or not. Now that he is staying they are saying Fergie did a nigh on perfect job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Really thought Ferguson would have shipped him out after this.

Its like when your parents get older, they are softer on your siblings than they were on you.

"When I was her age I never got to stay up late" :mad:

He didn't ship Cantona out after the Selhurst Park kick. In fact, he chased him around Paris on a moped. When it comes to a good player that he thinks will improve the teams chances of success, Ferguson has always shown he will go the extra mile. Same as he did with Keane, Ronaldo, Cantona etc.

As for Rooney, I'm not that surprised to hear he is staying. I'm very happy albeit with reservations about the last few months antics, especially this week. But as I said before, the agent is the real villain. Rooney may be great on a football pitch, but his agent is 10 times better when it comes to creating a fuss and getting money in his pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

But that is making an assumption.

Rooney stated lack of ambition.

That is, possibly, not an indictment of the current squad, but irritation that he could get no assurances regarding transfer spending going forward. This coming summer we potentially have to replace Van Der Sar, Giggs and Scholes, maybe Hargreaves too. So what Rooney said could be leveled towards future purchases, which is something many players have done.

I think I read about Gerrard and Torres previously having discussions with Liverpool managers about the direction of the club - it is the same thing. Same with Fabregas, same with Van Persie. They were happy with what they heard, seemingly. Rooney was not, seemingly (from what has been said no assurances at all were given in August)

True it's an assumption. I don't think he was talking about players that have been there for a couple of seasons but his comments can't be good for the confidence of a young player just bought in like Hernandez.

Rooney could get past this by explaining it to the players and everything could be hunky dory. But as I said it will be interesting to see how the team respond in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Fergie played hard ball for a few months and when he realised that Rooney was serious he went grovelling like a bitch and eventually gave in and paid him.

Fergie is not United's chief executive and is not responsible for paying anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

nedtheshed wrote: »
    All I can say is that Im a happy man.How it must sting the opposition fans to see him staying.;)

Doesn't bother me to be honest.

What bothers me is the way he went about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I'm a United fan and i had respected his initial decision to leave because he said he hadn't been given the assurances he needed about the direction the team were heading. Three days later he's signing a new 5 year deal worth an estimated £220k a week proving to everyone that what he was saying was pure bullsh*t and it was all about the money!

Of all the players out there at the moment, he was the one I (stupidly) thought was playing for the love of the game. Obviously thats not the case and he has gone well down in my estimations.

Fair play to Rooney for being the first at the club to highlight the effects the Glazer debt is having on the current and future success of the club.

LOLZ and his solution is to take even more money out of the club with an improved contract.

All Hail Wayne, United's Guardian Angel.

Give me break and Talk sense man will ya

I'm a United fan and i had respected his initial decision to leave because he said he hadn't been given the assurances he needed about the direction the team were heading. Three days later he's signing a new 5 year deal worth an estimated £220k a week proving to everyone that what he was saying was pure bullsh*t and it was all about the money!

Of all the players out there at the moment, he was the one I (stupidly) thought was playing for the love of the game. Obviously thats not the case and he has gone well down in my estimations.

some reports saying the deal is 150k per week, big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Why a new thread for this when it was already being discussed on the Man Utd thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Wasn't he on £90,000 a week prior to this? If so that figure sounds more like the offer he initially turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

That_Guy wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me to be honest.

What bothers me is the way he went about it.

I agree it was distasteful but its nothing that hasnt been seen before - Keane,Gerrard,Terry etc.

Its a sad part of modern football but unfortunatly it is part of it and until such time (if ever) that wage caps are introduced or agents get less power then it is going to remain that way.

As for his wages,he is arguably the most popular player from a fan base perspective therefore will shift more merchandise so they revenue they make from jerseys,sponsorship and what not will cover his additional salary IMO.

Feck it,at the end of the day he is still a United player and for me thats the most important thing of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Either way, I don't see how, in the past 3 days, United could have given him the assurances that he claimed he was looking for if they couldn't give them to him last Auguat when Fergie said he informed them he wouldn't be signing a new deal.

What's Santa bringing you this year?

Paleface wrote: »
    Wasn't he on £90,000 a week prior to this? If so that figure sounds more like the offer he initially turned down.

It's the offer they claim was still open for him to accept. Fergie mentioned it in his Press Conference. If it's 220k that's nuts tbh.

Rooney got a pay rise, rooney wins.
    Fergie keeps his best player, Fergie wins.

Neither person has lost in this situation, Fergie can only have lost if he wanted Rooney to leave and Rooney 'calling his bluff' is actually Rooney agreeing to stay. Unless that is the case, Fergie did not, and could not be seen to, lose. Very simple.

As for Fergie looking silly.... people saying that are you, and....

All press and pundits are saying Fergie played a blinder, whether Rooney stayed or not. Now that he is staying they are saying Fergie did a nigh on perfect job.

If Fergie played a blinder we would have never heard anything about this milark. It would have passed over smoothly. It was anything but. It turned the spot light on Fergies inability to keep his best players and it put the spot light on the owners lack of investment in the club which is clearly not going in the right direction.

The Muppet wrote: »
    What's Santa bringing you this year?

I lolled. I do kind of agree with Wile E coyote though. the game is losing its romance to a bunch of money-grabbing brats. Thank God for players like Scholes, giggs, Messi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

nedtheshed wrote: »

Why would it?

• Advertisement

Paleface wrote: »

yeah, it sounds very like the deal he reportedly turned down, turned down because of a lack of assurance over the future direction of the club, not money, according to himself.

Maybe we will hear more about the money in due time, but right now I regard a lot of it as mere speculation (I have heard 150, 160, 190 and 220) so i am not going to use the size of his new pay packet as a stick to beat him with.

Also, I think he was a top earner at United on his last contract which would have put him on 110 or 120.

Advertisement