Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney signs new 5 year deal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Remind me which club is £800million in debt again.

EDIT: Seen warning now.

Lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

wonder if that ankle injury will have cleared up by Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Essien wrote: »
    The financial crisis has gone away all of a sudden has it?

I didn't particularly want him at Chelsea unless he was going cheap

What self respecting City fan wouldn't take this opportunity to stick the boot in :pac:

I think alot of these United fans are kidding themselves. Most supporters of other clubs I saw didn't really want Rooney and/or care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Ush1 wrote: »
    I think alot of these United fans are kidding themselves. Most supporters of other clubs I saw didn't really want Rooney and/or care.

This is true, but the "bitter ABU" remarks will be thrown around willy nilly for a while yet, despite the fact the rest of us didn't really give a shite.

This is true, but the "bitter ABU" remarks will be thrown around willy nilly for a while yet, despite the fact the rest of us didn't really give a shite.

Chelsea fan...

Seriously, 1,700+ posts on Rooney in the last week says different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Le King wrote: »
    Chelsea fan...

How many of those posts were opposition fans who wanted Rooney in their team rather than people just laughing about the whole thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what amazes me is that people say he did this for the money. Fergie said on wednesday that the contract on offer would not be bettered anywhere. so, how do people know that the offer signed yesterday, was not the one offered prior to august 14th? it seemed to happen too quickly (legal) to be offered and signed in one day, that would point to me that the deal was there for a long long time, rooney just wouldnt sign it.

my take would be that part of the deal is based on success and thats the part that triggered rooneys unhappyness. he got some answers he didnt like off gill and sulked, perhaps after a bad world cup and knowing that his injunction was about to be lifted, so his only way out was to threaten to leave.

please tell me if i am wrong here and back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Fair play to him. He handled it very well. Clearly been in planning for months with his "off form".

Then takes them to the cleaners!

Savy business man that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Mourinho called it, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

A new bike.

With all the shagging around hes been doin im sure Rooney has that on his xmas list too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

my take would be that part of the deal is based on success and thats the part that triggered rooneys unhappyness. he got some answers he didnt like off gill and sulked, perhaps after a bad world cup and knowing that his injunction was about to be lifted, so his only way out was to threaten to leave.

What about him airing all of this in public, treating the club like dirt. Getting on the backs of the players in the dressing room and almost saying our new signings aren't good enough?

Evra
    "If one player in the team does not trust the others, he should not play in the team," Evra told Sky Sports News. "Me, I trust everyone. I know we can win."

Can't find the fletcher quotes.

I just can't slate Gerrard for doing the same thing and then not Rooney. It will die down when he gets his form back but now I'm a sourpuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Did United make a profit last year? Genuine queistion.

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Did United make a profit last year? Genuine queistion.

united as a club, yes, made 100million profit. first time ever a british club broke the 100 million barrier.

that is enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Le King wrote: »
    Chelsea fan...

What does me being a Chelsea fan have to do with anything?

It was the biggest talking point in football for a while, just because we all posted about it doesn't mean we were all desperate to sign him.

The arrogance of a small section of United supporters on here amazes me, I read figures of €40m and €50m being mentioned here for a player with a year left on his contract, laughable stuff. Not everybody wanted to bend over backwards to sign him, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

united as a club, yes, made 100million profit. first time ever a british club broke the 100 million barrier.

that is enough for me.

It's not enough for the banks, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

wow what a turnaround, crazy week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So, just how many shares does Wayne Rooney have in fleet street red tops?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was Holloway's rant that convinced him to stay!

In all seriousness I'm very surprised at the change of mind by Rooney but considering the potential replacements had he left, it has to be seen as good news that he's staying. I'd be lying though if I said I was comfortable with the reported wages he will now receive. I suppose this is the way the game is going though.

There will be talk of United fans changing their minds but ultimately if you're in a relationship with someone who had been telling you they wanted to stay forever and they then tell you they want to leave, then you wouldn't be human if you weren't angry and upset about that. I still think the whole thing was financial rather than anything about 'ambition'. There will be plenty of opinions changing from the ABUs who were starting to warm to the guy too. I'm looking at you, City fans. :cool:

The ones I feel most sorry for though are the chaps on Redcafe. I was browsing the place when the whole storm erupted. Oh boy...

Anyway, what this whole saga has shown to me is that Alex Ferguson is a great, great man. I lost a bit of respect for Wayne in all this - let's be honest when he plays he will win supporters over just like Rio did - but my admiration and respect for Fergie has gone up tenfold. He is well and truly the conscience of Manchester United and I do dread the day that he is no longer at the club.

It's not enough for the banks, though.

errm yes it is. the payments are being met and the debt has not increased. i thought that was made quiet clear.

uniteds finances next year, as long as they have good cup runs, should be pretty decent as the once of penalties, loans and bond share should decrease by about 60-80 million. united should hopefully break even at least next year, taking the signings from the huge cash reserve that we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm afraid the whole thing reeks and stinks of a fast one been pulled on both AF and Gill.

I am no UTD supporter but I believe the truth will eventually come out and will seriously damage Rooneys career .
    Either that or he is in for a shoite load of bad karma.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

But the very fact that it got to that stage where he had to publicly villainise his best player like that and where angry hate mobs were camped outside his house doesn't seem like 'brilliant man management' to me. AS I posted earlier, if he was as good at 'man management' as you lads say it would have never got to that stage.

The process started in August , I'm sure there were talks between then and this week, They didn't work. Going public was a last resort, If Fergie had done nothing Rooney's position would have just got stronger with his contract runnin down and he would have left.

How do you suggest it could have been stopped getting to this stage?

errm yes it is. the payments are being met and the debt has not increased. i thought that was made quiet clear.

uniteds finances next year, as long as they have good cup runs, should be pretty decent as the once of penalties, loans and bond share should decrease by about 60-80 million. united should hopefully break even at least next year, taking the signings from the huge cash reserve that we have.

&t=1&usg=AFrqEzcch0vEn-HVkhviFOA0rpUT8M5Obg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Proof that all this talk of lack of ambition was sheer nonsense.

Isn't it funny how a reported £180,000 per week can focus the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

mixednuts wrote: »
    I'm afraid the whole thing reeks and stinks of a fast one been pulled on both AF and Gill.

I am no UTD supporter but I believe the truth will eventually come out and will seriously damage Rooneys career .
    Either that or he is in for a shoite load of bad karma.

M

I dont think it will harm him in the long run. John Terry did pretty much the same thing and the grumbling about him soon went away, although he didnt publicly come out and say he wanted to leave.
    In fact he played it better then Rooney and didnt say anything - suddenly big pay rise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I read figures of €40m and €50m being mentioned here for a player with a year left on his contract, laughable stuff.

In todays crazy transfer market Utd would of easily got €40m for him.

&t=1&usg=AFrqEzcch0vEn-HVkhviFOA0rpUT8M5Obg

Back to that **** are we? Oviously you can't prove him wrong with actual numbers and you have nothing intelligent to offer, so you reply with a silly picture. Bravo.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Back to that **** are we? Oviously you can't prove him wrong with actual numbers and you have nothing intelligent to offer, so you reply with a silly picture. Bravo.

Nevermind the other obvious point...that United have just INCREASED their wage bill...

????
    I don't need to prove anyone wrong with numbers , in fact his calculations are probably correct and who knows may even be on the money .
    But it's counting the small monkey when there is an elephant in the room .

Having a working capital of around 50million and calculating your net income and results to see if you break even would be good business sense.

To estimate that you will break even next season with a £800 million debt time bomb to me is bordering on crazy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

To be fair, I'm kinda impressed didn't think he had it in him.

He mighn't be as stupid as he looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

the real funny thing here is all the abu's who are now bitter than united are not crumbling as they thought nor is rooney signing for them.

epic fail for xavi for sure anyway, nice to see you like rooney too.

If anything this is the best possible result. One less team that can have a go at us for harbouring mercenaries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Didn't know how to take the news when I heard it on the radio when I came out of school, tbh.
    Glad that Rooney is gonna stay at United because he is a very good player. But, he has a long long way to go before I can see him in the same light as I used too. Attempted to drag the club through the dirt, but I'd say a lot of it came from that cúnt Stretford.

Hopefully this will bring some form back to Rooney's game, this whole saga could have been what had him in such bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hats off to Rooney for securing his £50million 5 year contract.
    I couldnt envision him leaving ManU.

that is enough for me.

You forgot to add the profit on player sales they made of £13m.

Although you also missed the following expenses:

Player amortisation £40m
    Depreciation £8m
    Goodwill amortisation £35m
    Exceptional items £2m
    Interest paid on loans £42m
    Interest accrued on PIKs £28m
    Bank fees on refinancing £41m
    FX loss £19m
    Other debt costs £5m
    Tax £4m

But of course all that would turn a £100m+ profit into a £100m+ loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is good news. Hes a quality player.

If we bought torres and stuck him up front we would be sorted, alls we would need then is for either of them to start scoring goals :D

Torres would be good value in the summer, i doubt he would want to be playing in the nPower championship next season

????
    I don't need to prove anyone wrong with numbers , in fact his calculations are probably correct and who knows may even be on the money .
    But it's counting the small monkey when there is an elephant in the room .

Having a working capital of around 50million and calculating your net income and results to see if you break even would be good business sense.

To estimate that you will break even next season with a £800 million debt time bomb to me is bordering on crazy .

I suggest if a business is making £100 million a year profit an £800 million debt is far from a time bomb. There are no grounds to accuse those of us that can see that the financial situation is viable of having our head buried, are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think Rooneys reps were probably shocked at how little interest their was from other clubs in Rooney.

If i was in charge of City i would not be paying United a huge chunk of money to take an out of form player with so many public personal issues off their hands. Nonsensical.

I suggest if a business is making £100 million a year profit an £800 million debt is far from a time bomb. There are no grounds to accuse those of us that can see that the financial situation is viable of having our head buried, are there?

We will agree to disagree on this one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

finished your sig!
    ;)
    The tragedy for the club is that so much of the profits are wasted in interest, fees and charges. To ensure the club can cover these, ticket prices are far above the level they would need to be if the club was debt free. Net investment in the playing squad is low and the coincidence with the need to service the debt is too great to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Very true.

But only if United were actually making a £100m profit.

We will agree to disagree on this one .

That's fine, less of the stupid pictures though, they are counter productive, we all want the same thing, a sucessful stable club.

• Advertisement

What does me being a Chelsea fan have to do with anything?

It was the biggest talking point in football for a while, just because we all posted about it doesn't mean we were all desperate to sign him.

The arrogance of a small section of United supporters on here amazes me, I read figures of €40m and €50m being mentioned here for a player with a year left on his contract, laughable stuff. Not everybody wanted to bend over backwards to sign him, get over it.

Nothing it was meant in the nicest sense possible. In my post I never said anybody wanted to sign him. You said people didn't give a shíte, I said they obviously did as 1,700+ posts accumulated on the matter.

Whether anybody wanted him or not doesn't bother me. It seems opposition fans are more concerned with getting the point across that their club doesn't want Rooney rather than United fans thinking everybody wanted to sign him.

I really have nothing to get over, it seems to be you with the chip on your shoulder over this whole situation. Not me or anybody else.

Nothing arrogant about asking for €50 Million for Rooney either. Not in my eyes anyway. I'm sure many clubs would of been interested in him. Whether you want to believe a specific transfer fee would of been agreed doesn't bother me. He's here for another 5 years. Get over it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hats off to Rooney for securing his £50million 5 year contract.
    I couldnt envision him leaving ManU.

Player amortisation £40m
    Depreciation £8m
    Exceptional items £2m
    FX loss £19m
    Other debt costs £5m
    Tax £4m

But of course all that would turn a £100m+ profit into a £100m+ loss!

how come there is no rush to thank this post? :confused::P

finished your sig!
    ;)

Good , I hope you didn't wear down your finger reading it .;)

There's financial thread that has covered all your other points , there's no point going over it again here, suffice to say My opinion differs to yours.

Good , I hope you didn't wear down your finger reading it .;)

There's financial thread that has covered all your other points , there's no point going over it again here, suffice to say My opinion differs to yours.

There is when it's why Rooney stalled on signing the contract, the restrictions the debt has placed on the club.

Player amortisation £40m
    Depreciation £8m
    Exceptional items £2m
    FX loss £19m
    Other debt costs £5m
    Tax £4m

yes of course, but these are independant of the running of the club. this a red football limited, not manchester united fc. now, i understand the linkage between the 2 and united figures show a -80million debt, but the reality is that the club itself independant of the owners, is making huge money. that is why the club, will never go broke IMO, as if the glazers left tomorrow, somebody with money can make money back very quickly.

the refinancing of 41 million will not happen next year, nor hopefully will the FX loss. that is 60 million. now, i dont know what the deal is behind the amortisation is but thats another 75 million right there and i believe that 40 million of that, will not happen next year. so in theory, all going well, united should make a profit of 20 odd million next year, as i would expect that the figures this year were exceptional items and wont happen again. the 70 odd million in debt repayments, servicing the interest, is therefor sustainable until the bonds mature in 2017 at which point i expect the club to be sold by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

similar situation with ronaldo iirc.

now clubs will have to offer big money for wayne.

what odds on him not starting next season in united jersey..?

• Advertisement

There is when it's why Rooney stalled on signing the contract, the restrictions the debt has placed on the club.

Why did he sign then?

Why did he sign then?

His stalling seemed to cause panic. Gill had a meeting with the Glazers. Hopefully it caused them to rethink their buy cheap and young, sell at a profit transfer policy.

Maybe the club just begged him to sign and stay another year or two, so they will get their transfer fee.

Maybe he is staying because they have promised multiple signings.

Either way, I think it's good that someone at the club finally highlighted the fact that the owners have saddled the club with massive debt, that the interest payments are eroding profits.

Despite the Glazers improving operating profit and increasing revenue, they have turned a net profit into a net loss comparable to big spending Chelsea when Abromovich arrived and Man City now, minus of course the transfers in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Conspiracy theory time (Or how I learnt to love Utd and Fergie all over again by refusing to acknowledge the shocking lack of loyalty from our star player by subconsciously burying this whole mess deep into the recesses of mind only to have it reemerge as a
    raging drink and savage wife beating problem in my later life)

Fergie realises the squad is in decline and the finances to rebuild are
    not forthcoming from the debt ridden Glaziers.

Worried that the club, in the last years of his reign, are weaker both financially and player wise he has a word with Wayne on the training ground and they both cook up Roo-gate.

Rooney being the die-hard anything for the team type of player he is decides to go along with Fergies plan although it means he will be roasted by the British press.

Rooney states his intent to leave citing lack of ambition as the main cause per Fergies instructions.

The media whirlwind begins.

Fergies delivers an oscar worthy performance at press conference on Tuesday as a shocked manager being held to ransom by star player of debt ridden club.

News filters through to the Glaziers. Conference call is organised for Thursday morning.

Fergie tells them Rooney is on the way out unless the squad is strengthened. The Glaziers are worried as Rooney carried the team last year and see his departure as a huge loss of revenue when we cant finish in the top four.

They call Rooney's bluff and say they wont be help to ransom by a player. Fergie agrees but cannot accept the current financial state coupled with the embarrassment of the past weeks events and notifies the Glaziers of his retirement effective at the end of the current season.

The Glaziers brick it. They tell Fergie a substantial squad rebuilding kitty will be made available to him forthwith and agree to offer Rooney a new and improved contract.

Rooney signs five year deal today.

Outcome: Fergie = Genius. Rooney = loyal beyond levels we can compromise. The squad is given the money to rebuild and prevent its slide into mediocrity and once again we compete for major honors. Champions league winner 2012 anyone?

Less idealistic version of events that took place (or the truth I refuse to acknowledge)
    Rooney cheats on his pregnant wife sometime during last season.

The hooker starts to contact various media outlets to sell the story. Rooney's lawyers learn of this and let Wayne know.

He is advised to take out an injunction and super injunction.

Knowing the story will probably break sooner or later Wayne suffers physiologically. This manifests itself with poor on pitch performances.

He has a shocking world cup.

Realising the stories about his private life will break any day now coupled with his poor showing he faces the stark reality of being booed in every stadium in england bar one and being vilified by the British media.

The story breaks.

He has a mental breakdown and thinks only option is to leave England and escape the lynching. He fails to sign a new contract and tells the club he wants out.

The story breaks a few weeks after. Surprisingly Coleen has forgiven at this stage him at this stage and the media scrum about him quitting Old Trafford has a positive result IE his extra marital affairs and poor form are no longer tabloid fodder.

The backlash from the Utd fans begin. Rooney is now faced with the prospect of leaving the club he loves. He panics and cites lack of ambition as the reason for wanting out.

A lynch mob turns up outside his house.

The next morning he begs Fergie to forgive him and the whole says thing has been a huge mistake.

Fergie agrees to offer a new five year deal under the condition he has to aplogise to the players and fans and allow Coleen to give him a Thai massage in the medical room of Old Trafford while Wayne stands in the corner wearing a mini skirt and a load of lipstick playing the ukulele.

Fergie uses the photos from this encounter as leverage to ensure he never tries to pull this crap on him again.

Outcome: Fergie = genius. Rooney gets booed by a minority of the Old Trafford fathifull until he hits form again. The Glaziers are given a fright and inject funds.

Either way us Utd Fans win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

yes of course, but these are independant of the running of the club. this a red football limited, not manchester united fc. now, i understand the linkage between the 2 and united figures show a -80million debt, but the reality is that the club itself independant of the owners, is making huge money. that is why the club, will never go broke IMO, as if the glazers left tomorrow, somebody with money can make money back very quickly.

the refinancing of 41 million will not happen next year, nor hopefully will the FX loss. that is 60 million. now, i dont know what the deal is behind the amortisation is but thats another 75 million right there and i believe that 40 million of that, will not happen next year. so in theory, all going well, united should make a profit of 20 odd million next year, as i would expect that the figures this year were exceptional items and wont happen again. the 70 odd million in debt repayments, servicing the interest, is therefor sustainable until the bonds mature in 2017 at which point i expect the club to be sold by.
    Player Amortisisation is basically each signing you make say 12m and then say its on a 4 year contract. So for each of those four years you loose 3 million in player amortisisation. So it depends on your signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Why Rooney changed his mind.

rooney-640x472.jpg

Opr

• Advertisement
Advertisement