Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney signs new 5 year deal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Would love to see the "emmmmmm" count in that video. Had to turn it off was so annoying.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

opr wrote: »
    Why Rooney changed his mind.

Opr

Because you badly photoshopped a picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I honestly feel that this is Rooneys last season at United. The five year deal is to ensure that United get a good return on their investment when he is sold. If its not it will be the first time that someone has publicly crossed Alex Ferguson and survived.

I also think it could cause problems with the other players at United because Rooney has now shown the way to them in getting a better deal.

All in all I do not think this will end this saga at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gandalf wrote: »
    I honestly feel that this is Rooneys last season at United. The five year deal is to ensure that United get a good return on their investment when he is sold. If its not it will be the first time that someone has publicly crossed Alex Ferguson and survived.

I also think it could cause problems with the other players at United because Rooney has now shown the way to them in getting a better deal.
    All in all I do not think this will end this saga at all.

I agree it is the begining of the end for him at United, He might stay another season or two, I think he'll look for another big payday then and he'll be just coming to his peak.

Rooney is the only Player that would get away with what he did, Vidic tried something similar but didn't bring it as far, United would probably have let him go had he pushed it.

Rooney didn't really cross Fergie he was very carful not to with the comments he made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

PHB wrote: »
    I assume that Fergie has basically gotten in a one on one with him and convinced him.

Convinced him with all that money. That'll teach him.. er wait..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

These 2 threads are epic win. :D

Though am puzzled on a few things now...

Is Rooney back to being over rated or is he still world class as acclaimed by haters here after Fergies interview ? :confused:

Are United now showing ambition or did they cave into a mercenaries wage demands ? :confused:

Turnaround from the haters is quality reading.Keep it up please. :pac:

As for the handful of so called United fans who spouted drivel.. You should be fookin ashamed of yourselves. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

as a Liverpool fan i have to say well done to mufc, with that clause rooney had to buy himself out of the contract they would of lost loads on him now they can sell the fat headed git for what - 40 million be fair, Ferguson will have hime gone next summer or the one after, rightly so, greedy git! I do think united are sailing towards troubled waters though, circa 43 million debt repayments a year - crazy, team is in decline too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What are the possibilities that he's doing a Stiliyan Petrov?

If I was a united fan I'd be happy that he's staying but sickened by his (probable) motives. ie money over club.

Still though, if he gets back scoring no-one will bat an eyelid.

Premiership footballers have way too much power.

Money talks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Aquos76 wrote: »

The mirror report it as 160k with incentives and bonuses that could take it to 200k if we win league titles and CLs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

all youse utd fans love him again now , greedy little money grabber , clubs ambition me ar$e !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

BERBA wrote: »
    all youse utd fans love him again now , greedy little money grabber , clubs ambition me ar$e !

Example of someone who cursed him before today and now back on the bandwagon?
    Links please, none if this "Look all over th thread" shíte being spouted by some people on here.

He has a long way to go before I'll 'love' him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

BERBA wrote: »

Less for ya to type this way ;)

baz2009 wrote: »
    Example of someone who cursed him before today and now back on the bandwagon?
    Links please, none if this "Look all over th thread" shíte being spouted by some people on here.

He has a long way to go before I'll 'love' him again.

There's at least 3 or 4 who whined like tabloid readers they probably are.3 or 4 out of how many United fans who post here.That surely equates to a 100% fanbase theory. :rolleyes:

Why did you lose your love ? Because of something you read ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

d22ontour wrote: »
    There's at least 3 or 4 who whined like tabloid readers they probably are.3 or 4 out of how many United fans who post here.That surely equates to a 100% fanbase theory. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I saw a few alright, I called him a bad name I think, but I still feel the same.:P
    But, what I haven't seen are these posters loving Rooney again, but yet quite a few people claim this has happened.

Not what I read. What I heard from Fergie and Rooney. Rooney acted like a spoilt child, and tbh I hoped that he was better than that, but obvioussly it was false hope. I hope he goes on to play great stuff for United for the rest of his career, because he's undoubtedly a great player. But, I'm not too gone on him at this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Which United fans are these? I can't remember one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In what kind of f*cked up sport does a fella insult his manager, fellow players, p*ss of the fans that worshipped him and gets rewarded with more money than he could possibly spend in a week?

'Twould be nice if he bothered his hole on the pitch somtime soon as well.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    In what kind of f*cked up sport does a fella insult his manager, fellow players, p*ss of the fans that worshipped him and gets rewarded with more money than he could possibly spend in a week?

Flah for someone who i am sure the mods had in consideration for the modship with Slick, you really have let yourself down over all of this imo.
    You, me, the dog behind me who thinks i am bringing him for a walk, don't have a fookin clue behind what generated this.Whether it was for money,investment in the club or a huge fookin selling fee we won't know until the other 2 are discounted.

:(

Flah for someone who i am sure the mods had in consideration for the modship with Slick, you really have let yourself down over all of this imo.
    You, me, the dog behind me who thinks i am bringing him for a walk, don't have a fookin clue behind what generated this.Whether it was for money,investment in the club or a huge fookin selling fee we won't know until the other 2 are discounted.

:(

How have I "let myself down?"

The whole saga is just another nail in the coffin of soccer's soul for me. All I can comment on is what I've seen the last few days. And what I've seen is Rooney letting everyone down at United and getting rewarded with a sick pay rise for doing so. I don't see why I should scrabble around for some kind of angle or conspiracy theory that paints him in a better light just because I support United.

Also LOUL at the Flah modding this forum. Some craic that'd be.:pac:

Well looking at the options am pretty sure it was between the two of you. ;)

Am not looking at any angle at anything.I don't know what happened bar a fergie interview and a statement.I didn't post regarding either as i felt it was quite unusual.
    I still think Rooney may go in jan or the summer though.
    There may or may not have been motives behind either statement, that's something we will never know until a movie is made. :D

To quote possibly the greatest thing ever said....For every action there is a reaction.This shít is for real. :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Seems like he did a Roo-turn on he's decision

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Seems like he did a Roo-turn on he's decision

:rolleyes:

About as funny as cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

m@cc@ wrote: »
    About as funny as cancer.

But not quite as serious :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Flah is right. Another nail in the coffin of the working class sport. It's GUBU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Also LOUL at the Flah modding this forum. Some craic that'd be.:pac:

'the Flah', oh dear, he has started referring to himself in the third person. Bail out, bail out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Aidric wrote: »
    'the Flah', oh dear, he has started referring to himself in the third person. Bail out, bail out. :pac:

Sounds like "The Fly"

616px-BrundleStages.JPG

Arrrgghh!

That would be Football, I love quizzes, what do I win?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It has been an interesting week but I have to say thank you Rooney!!!
    Not one of my Man Utd friends can now talk about the mercenaries at City with a straight face......:D

He's a great player obviously when he is on form but I'm glad I stated early in the week that I didn't want him at City....

• Advertisement

Not one of my Man Utd friends can now talk about the mercenaries at City with a straight face......:D

I'm sure your friend's that support other clubs will keep you busy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm sure your friend's that support other clubs will keep you busy.:D

I'm sure they will:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The mirror report it as 160k with incentives and bonuses that could take it to 200k if we win league titles and CLs.

and there i think lies the issue, this is what i was saying yesterday afternoon. rooney took a contract yesterday that never changed. he was offered the same one yesterday, that he was offered before august 14th.

the reason he didnt sign, was lack of faith that we could win the CL and Prem again soon, unless we invested in a few new top players.

this was a story, made alot bigger than it needed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But not quite as serious :cool:

I say that "Rythem is a dancer" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

L'prof wrote: »
    I say that "Rythem is a dancer" :cool:

In the interest of being an annoying arseh0le, rhythm & rhythms are actually the two longest words in the English language with no vowels ... so no e.

Back on topic ...

got to be wha chu wanna
    if the groove don't get you the rhyme is gonna
    cause I'm serious as cancer when I say that .... :cool:

are we just showing our age guys?

What the hell is this thread about anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to say I'm happy he is staying, but I havnt seen the official figues on his contract and will be interested to see them.

Should he get the massive wages been spoken about, I think thats going to cause some serious friction in the club.

If I was Berbatov, I'd be concerned as to why basically someone having a whinge and playing **** on the field gets rewarded with a massive pay rise.

I know Berbatov conducts himself better in these matters and I'm sure wouldnt, but you cant help but feel it might cause a bit of a little underlying tension.

Personally with how quickly things turned, I'm in two minds.

1) He has agreed to sign a new contract and be sold in the summer so the club can recoup a nice sum for him. Rooney has acknowledged that it would be the best for club.

The rise in salary might be a little hush hush money of the sort. But it doesnt explain why it would be five years, expect maybe for deceit.

2) This is genuine and he is staying. This makes the 5 year deal and the extra money seem a bit more realistic.

I dont know what to think. I expect Rooney to man up and start performing on the pitch and give his left bollock for the club now.

But I wouldnt be suprised in the summer, or next summer, if he looks for a move again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Guardian reporting 180k, that is an insane amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rooney better start performing soon then. Him demanding more money when everyone else is cutting back is fcking cheeky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Rooney better start performing soon then. Him demanding more money when everyone else is cutting back is fcking cheeky.

I guess that 50% tax rate he's paying was hurting him, somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He's a great player obviously when he is on form but I'm glad I stated early in the week that I didn't want him at City....

That was everybodys fear I think.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've seen it mentioned a few times here that Rooney mightve signed a contract so that United could sell him for more money. That's not true because if he left on a free he could demand a massive signing on fee whereas when bought that'd be reduced sow by would he essentially take money from his own pocket for United?.

But a signing on fee doesnt supply money to United in any shape or form, thats money for himself.

I guess one of the theories is that he manned up a little and realised that with a new contract United can recoup some money from his sale when in a lengthy contract rather then the slashed price if he went on his current contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Guardian reporting 180k, that is an insane amount of money.

do you think that his antics since august the 14th led to this or his performances last summer?

imo, he signed the same contract this week, that he was offered all along, so this weeks activitys changed nothing.

Regardless of how Rooney has behaved there's still a hell of a difference between re-signing for a club that has won three Prems, a CL, 2 Carling Cups and a World Club in the last 4 years and signing for a club thats won jack sh*t in 34 years but pays the likes of Robinho and Emannuel Adebayour massive anmounts of money.

Irrespective of what ye said earlier in the week, ye'd have wet yeerselves in glee if Rooney had signed for ye, he's a far better vplayer than any striker ye have currently.

The Muppet wrote: »
    That would be Football, I love quizzes, what do I win?;)

Soccer bai.

You can have Xavi's sig as a consolation prize.

do you think that his antics since august the 14th led to this or his performances last summer?

imo, he signed the same contract this week, that he was offered all along, so this weeks activitys changed nothing.

Didn't Ferguson say that they'd not talked about figures with Rooney?

Irrespective of what ye said earlier in the week, ye'd have wet yeerselves in glee if Rooney had signed for ye, he's a far better vplayer than any striker ye have currently.

There's nothing between Tevez and Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

There's nothing between Tevez and Rooney.

Never say Never ...

Daily Mirror have another story of Premiership stars in Hooker 3some shame ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Didn't Ferguson say that they'd not talked about figures with Rooney?

No he said there was an offer on the table and it was still there for him to sign.

• Advertisement

Was in the shop grabbing lunch and had a nosey at a few papers, running with the notion he changed his mind because his child was sent death threats by United fans?

Wow, thats a new low and a paper looking to jump with the story but has no source close ot it.

Advertisement