Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney signs new 5 year deal

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was in the shop grabbing lunch and had a nosey at a few papers, running with the notion he changed his mind because his child was sent death threats by United fans?

Wow, thats a new low and a paper looking to jump with the story but has no source close ot it.

Is his child old enough to read death threats?:pac:

And if that kinda stuff factored into Rooney's decision at all then surely he'd be getting the first plane out of Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didn't Ferguson say that they'd not talked about figures with Rooney?

True, but surely when Rooney read the contract draft there would have been a section on money in it, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

flahavaj wrote: »
    Is his child old enough to read death threats?:pac:

And if that kinda stuff factored into Rooney's decision at all then surely he'd be getting the first plane out of Manchester?

Yeah thats why I lol'd at the story, surely if your child was being threatened youd be on the first ticket out, not staying to appease the threats.

Daily Mirror, lolfeast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Sun say that he is on 280k a week :rolleyes: they even have a list of the top ten paid players in the world and Rooney's number 1, and Messi, the actual highest paid player in the world, is 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Liam O wrote: »
    The Sun say that he is on 280k a week :rolleyes: they even have a list of the top ten paid players in the world and Rooney's number 1, and Messi, the actual highest paid player in the world, is 5th

Did they mention that Rooney's is paying 50% tax and Messi only has to pay 30%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Liam O wrote: »

Messi was top if you include wages and off-field earnings, not so sure he was top if you just look at the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There no way Rooney is on the money reported, If united were going to make him the highest paid player in the world they would not have gone public with events this week and Rooney would have signed the contract with no fuss.

The fact that they did go public leads me to believe they didn't improve on the contract they had offered him, He was looking for more threatening to leave, Fergie called his bluff bluff by going public forcing him to make his choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

This whole Rooney saga was a PR stunt to get the spotlight off united's poor form, Tomorrow the rest of the team will have something to prove and will get a massive win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

my understanding of the contract is that he had no improvement in his basic from the original offer (150k) but he has got an improved image rights agreement and a better bonus structure if we win the league/champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote: »
    my understanding of the contract is that he had no improvement in his basic from the original offer (150k) but he has got an improved image rights agreement and a better bonus structure if we win the league/champions league

Source?

Ferguson has said that that there was no offer inclusive of wages up until the other day so the notion that he signed a contract for wages which had been offered to him months ago is entirely fictitious designed purely to make united fans feel better about having their club bent over and raped by Wazza.

• Advertisement

So now you take everything Fergie says as Gospel Alan? Thats kinda funny to me

Not gospel but when it's something that was quite trivial at the time and of no benefit for him to lie about, then that's kinda backed up the all the media reporting that in a clamour to keep him Utd have offered him a quite ludicrous pay packet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Was in the shop grabbing lunch and had a nosey at a few papers, running with the notion he changed his mind because his child was sent death threats by United fans?

Wow, thats a new low and a paper looking to jump with the story but has no source close ot it.

What a ridiculous story.

If it was indeed true, Rooney would have left immediately and rightly so.

Not gospel but when it's something that was quite trivial at the time and of no benefit for him to lie about, then that's kinda backed up the all the media reporting that in a clamour to keep him Utd have offered him a quite ludicrous pay packet.

We couldnt afford to offer him a ludicrous pay packet, well most top footballers have ludicrous pay packets, but we could not afford to offer what has been reported today as a basic wage.

Anything to do with money is not trivial when it comes to a contract negotiation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Source?

Ferguson has said that that there was no offer inclusive of wages up until the other day so the notion that he signed a contract for wages which had been offered to him months ago is entirely fictitious designed purely to make united fans feel better about having their club bent over and raped by Wazza.

he actually said both if what you say is correct, cause he def said the offer was still on the table.

Think he more meant the door was still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think he more meant the door was still open.

so you are taking at face value some of what he says, then reading implications into stuff he said which was also quite clear.

Fair enough.

Love how you are selective on the contract stuff in general, like how some papers reporting 160 as his wages (with increases to ~200k if we continue to be successfull) is disregarded cause others say 200k+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danroan/2010/10/how_rooneys_u-turn_came_about.html

This article covers the events that changed Rooney's mind pretty well.

There's something about all this that strikes me as odd. When Rooney first signalled to Gill back in August that he wasnt signing a new deal, why didnt the club ask him for his reasons, they then could have arranged the conference with the Glazers and thrash out an agreement and all this could have been easily resolved, with him getting a wage hike, without the glaring media spotlight and damage to his relationship with the fans/manager/club/teammates etc.

The media spot light was necessary imo to get the Glazers to pull the finger out. Save face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Source?

LOL @ the tabloid language.

Getting raped by keeping a player they wanted to keep?

I suppose it's the small things that get you through the day:pac:

• Advertisement

you have to understand them though, this would have been serious **** material for non united fans for a long time to come

Especially for people who support teams currently sitting in the relegation zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So wait a sec, the main opinion seemed to be he was leaving for money, so now he is staying, it isn't for more money?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    So wait a sec, the main opinion seemed to be he was leaving for money, so now he is staying, it isn't for more money?

guess it depends on which poster you talk to considering not everybody thought money was the main factor

Common tactic from ABUs. Take conflicting opinions from different comments by various Utd supporters, and present it as a contradictory consensus.

Bet you won't be able to find one poster who holds the opinion, or has said, ''he was leaving for money, so now he is staying, it isn't for more money''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Cleese wrote: »
    I am a United fan and this is dispicable.

His antics are shocking, the money is obscene.

TBH I imagine his agents had a say in his statements. I would imagine they get a lot more money off his new contract.

Money talks, and it's voice it much louder than any club anthems/loyalty.

Indeed Kryogen, that is why I said most. You are one of the smarter posters around here that can take a little criticism.

It wasn't even criticism. The vast majority were suggesting it was money, I was one of the few saying it was trophies, though obviously money was a factor.

I think dismissing suggestions of an even higher offer makes no sense, nobody knows.

Jaysus the ABU card is easily played, bit like the racist or pc card on AH, especially for something ye don't know yourselves.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Indeed Kryogen, that is why I said most. You are one of the smarter posters around here that can take a little criticism.

It wasn't even criticism. The vast majority were suggesting it was money, I was one of the few saying it was trophies, though obviously money was a factor.

I think dismissing suggestions of an even higher offer makes no sense, nobody knows.

Jaysus the ABU card is easily played, bit like the racist or pc card on AH, especially for something ye don't know yourselves.

I didnt play the ABU card did i? i was actually answering your question seriously!

I would doubt that you can find a poster who was saying he was leaving for the money and is now saying that he is staying for something other then more money though.

Sorry, hard to know who's WUMming or not the last few days. No hard feelings eh?:cool:

I didnt play the ABU card did i? i was actually answering your question seriously!

I would doubt that you can find a poster who was saying he was leaving for the money and is now saying that he is staying for something other then more money though.

Yes, but I don't think anybody can completely rule out a better deal than was offered during August.

Oh, that wasn't aimed at you btw.

I called it originally that it was contract negotiations and I'm happy enough he stays at United, rather than City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Regardless of how Rooney has behaved there's still a hell of a difference between re-signing for a club that has won three Prems, a CL, 2 Carling Cups and a World Club in the last 4 years and signing for a club thats won jack sh*t in 34 years but pays the likes of Robinho and Emannuel Adebayour massive anmounts of money.

Irrespective of what ye said earlier in the week, ye'd have wet yeerselves in glee if Rooney had signed for ye, he's a far better vplayer than any striker ye have currently.

Whatever Flah:D

Regardless of how Rooney has behaved there's still a hell of a difference between re-signing for a club that has won three Prems, a CL, 2 Carling Cups and a World Club in the last 4 years and signing for a club thats won jack sh*t in 34 years but pays the likes of Robinho and Emannuel Adebayour massive anmounts of money.

Irrespective of what ye said earlier in the week, ye'd have wet yeerselves in glee if Rooney had signed for ye, he's a far better vplayer than any striker ye have currently.

adebayour with 3 goals this week would beg to differ!!!;)
    Money well spent in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I don't rate Adebayour much myself. He has bursts of goals and then they dry up for a while. He wouldn't be a constant first choice but that's just my opinion. Really think the lad is over rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's not fit to tie Rooney's shoelaces and a terrible attitude to boot. The epitome of a mercenary tbh.

He's not fit to tie Rooney's shoelaces and a terrible attitude to boot. The epitome of a mercenary tbh.

Yeah, gotta hate those mercenaries tbh, an absolute disgrace to the good name of football:D

Adebayor isnt fit to lace Lee Martins boots tbh

• Advertisement

What a ridiculous story.

If it was indeed true, Rooney would have left immediately and rightly so.

Agreed , but I'm reading more and more articles and stories about how a number of fans gathered outside his house in Eric Cantona masks threatening Kai, may be the story the mail was referring too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

not a city fan myself but id much rather have tevez than rooney
    for the remainder of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Agreed , but I'm reading more and more articles and stories about how a number of fans gathered outside his house in Eric Cantona masks threatening Kai, may be the story the mail was referring too.

:pac:

Now, even I could make up something better than that.

Scary image in fairness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Adebayor isnt fit to lace Lee Martins boots tbh

not his left one anywho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭jacool

:pac:

Now, even I could make up something better than that.
    Yes, there are clearly 2 stories being mixed up here.
    1. The Nike ads in the city which had "Join City and You're Dead" and
    2. The 30 or so balaclava wearing people who gathered outside Rooney's house overnight.
    At no point was anything said about Kai.
    Regardless, though, I wonder are these the "fans" he wants at the game each week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Advertisement