Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Randi's million $ challange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

it doesnt matter how handy you think it is. it discriminates and isnt an open competition - which is contrary to what many 'sceptics' believe. False advertising, case closed if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

maccored wrote: »
    it doesnt matter how handy you think it is. it discriminates and isnt an open competition - which is contrary to what many 'sceptics' believe. False advertising, case closed if you ask me.

It's hardly false advertising if the terms are on the internet.
    Case open.

Also: It's hardly discrimination if anyone can get in the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

So Maccored, basically your entire complaint/argument here is: "What about really really really shy people with magic powers, how come they don't get catered for?"

By all means start up an anonymous competition for these people yourself if you want. But it will hardly prove or disprove anything when someone wins it and you come out and say.

- "Well that didn't take long, only two weeks in and a guy came into the Maccored Million Dollar Contest and melted lead with the power of his mind."

+ "Really, who was this guy?"

- "Can't say, he's very shy and private"

+ "But then how do we know he isn't just made up or that he can really do what you say he can?"

- "SHUT UP!!! That's how!"

i give up. its like talking to a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

i give up. its like talking to a wall.

If you can get the wall to talk back and you don't mind having your name in the paper you should ring up Randi, could be a million bucks in it for ye.

• Advertisement

as you can clearly see from this thread, walls cant actually supply any kind of answers.

As already mentioned, and so far unrefuted - the JFEF Million $ challange is a cynical marketing scam.

It should never, ever, ever be used as a possible validation test for anything paranormal as its limited and biased.

No doubt it wont stop those who believe it though from slopping out such crap to anyone unfortunate enough to be within hearing range.

I ask once more - what is the need for rule 12? I dont care how 'easy' it is to prostitute yourself to the papers .. I want to know why rule 12 is there in the first place. I havent seen any proper reply to that yet.

If the answer is because it costs money to vet entrants, then I suggest whoever says that go reads the FAQ again, as they would be misinformed.

strobe wrote: »
    So Maccored, basically your entire complaint/argument here is: "What about really really really shy people with magic powers, how come they don't get catered for?"

By all means start up an anonymous competition for these people yourself if you want. But it will hardly prove or disprove anything when someone wins it and you come out and say.

- "Well that didn't take long, only two weeks in and a guy came into the Maccored Million Dollar Contest and melted lead with the power of his mind."

+ "Really, who was this guy?"

- "Can't say, he's very shy and private"

+ "But then how do we know he isn't just made up or that he can really do what you say he can?"

- "SHUT UP!!! That's how!"

No offense, but how long will it take you to get it?

The question IS NOT "What about really really really shy people with magic powers, how come they don't get catered for?"

The question is whats the point of rule 12, if not to put people off from entering?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

I have no psychic or paranormal abilities so rule 12 does put me off applying for the challenge.

(Thinks!) ...but then again I never claimed to have any psychic or paranormal abilities so it really doesn't apply to me - oh well... :rolleyes:

Now where did I leave my portfolio?

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

(Thinks!) ...but then again I never claimed to have any psychic or paranormal abilities so it really doesn't apply to me - oh well... rolleyes.gif

I was going to ask why you'd apply when you dont make any paranormal claims.

Just because it doesnt apply to you (the same as it doesnt apply to me) shouldnt stop you telling me why theres a need for rule 12 in the first place.

i think im wasting my time in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

i think im wasting my time in this thread.

Probably because you haven't been very convincing in presenting your unfounded belief.

Ever heard of Eddie the Eagle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Forgive me if I'm also "missing the point", but is it not just simply a spam filter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

as you can clearly see from this thread, walls cant actually supply any kind of answers.

As already mentioned, and so far unrefuted - the JFEF Million $ challange is a cynical marketing scam.

It should never, ever, ever be used as a possible validation test for anything paranormal as its limited and biased.

No doubt it wont stop those who believe it though from slopping out such crap to anyone unfortunate enough to be within hearing range.

I ask once more - what is the need for rule 12? I dont care how 'easy' it is to prostitute yourself to the papers .. I want to know why rule 12 is there in the first place. I havent seen any proper reply to that yet.

If the answer is because it costs money to vet entrants, then I suggest whoever says that go reads the FAQ again, as they would be misinformed.
    Sadly i agree.

Standman wrote: »
    Probably because you haven't been very convincing in presenting your unfounded belief.

No. Its because no -one can give me a decent answer. theres no actual need for rule 12, and this challange isnt really anything more than a bit of PR the more gullible seem to fall for.

nummnutts wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm also "missing the point", but is it not just simply a spam filter ?

a spam filter eh? and you think that makes sense as an answer? have a competition but block the average punter from entering so it can act as a spam filter.

block the average punter by looking specifically for those who want publicity and you call that a spam filter? its a spam attracter (even you should see that mr lovechild).

Lets face it folks, you are so taken by mr randi than you cant see the wood for the trees.

There is no need for rule 12. the whole thing is a joke but at the same time, we can be taking away the 'sceptics' (i use that word lightly) little toy answer to the paranormal now, can we :rolleyes: .

Its laughable to be honest. 5 pages and not one actual answer that makes any kind of logical sense. well done there 'critical thinkers'.

have a competition but block the average punter from entering so it can act as a spam filter.
    No it doesn't.
    block the average punter by looking specifically for those who want publicity and you call that a spam filter?
    There are other rules that state the JREF can use photos of you in the trials and such as they please. It's not Rule 12 that the shy should be worried about.

I ask again, whats the need for rule 12? If you cant answer it, then dont bother trying - this thread is boring enough as it is.

No it doesn't.

tell that to whoever suggested it on the other page. If you read my post you would have seen I was restating what had been already put to me.

theres a terrible amount of waffle and strawmen going on around here. I wish one of you would just try and answer the question for me instead of waffling.

• Advertisement

block the average punter by looking specifically for those who want publicity and you call that a spam filter? its a spam attracter (even you should see that mr lovechild).

That's Major to you young man!

Rule 12 means you have to have a portfolio. I can live with that. :D

if you can live with it or not isnt the question. whats the point of it and why would someone with a paranormal ability need a portfolio? See, you've just added to the waffle load on this thread there.

i honestly dont believe you (or any 'sceptic' on here) has the answer. Just admit, you're being conned into believing you're a 'critical thinker'. I'd say we just leave it at that. the main thing is that 'challange' is a pile of crap.

tell that to whoever suggested it on the other page. If you read my post you would have seen I was restating what had been already put to me.

I was referring to the point you made about it stopping the average person (with paranormal abilities).

if you can live with it or not isnt the question. whats the point of it and why would someone with a paranormal ability need a portfolio? See, you've just added to the waffle load on this thread there.

Your question was what was the need for rule 12.
    And there is my answer. Rule 12 means you have to have a portfolio. A resume of sorts.

But now you are going to ask why would you require a resume -

G'wan so!!!

Your question was what was the need for rule 12.
    And there is my answer. Rule 12 means you have to have a portfolio. A resume of sorts.

But now you are going to ask why would you require a resume -

G'wan so!!!

i already asked you that. its always a good idea to read the other persons post

Rule 12 is there primarily to reduce applcaitions. they as much as admit that on the site when they say not too many mediums etc with a media prescence enter. its obvious but its obviously a bit too deep for many of you to cop on to.

really - if this is all that can be said (ie lets talk a bit of waffle and avoid answering the question) then I say give up.

I was referring to the point you made about it stopping the average person (with paranormal abilities).

by quoting my restatement of what smeone else said and adding 'no' to the end of it??

i already asked you that. its always a good idea to read the other persons post

Rule 12 is there primarily to reduce applcaitions. they as much as admit that on the site when they say not too many mediums etc with a media prescence enter. its obvious but its obviously a bit too deep for many of you to cop on to.

really - if this is all that can be said (ie lets talk a bit of waffle and avoid answering the question) then I say give up.

I was being sarcastic.
    It is indeed dreadfully obvious. I gave you my answer and it did not satisfy you.
    Not everyone can be satisfied with the obvious and that is why some people still believe the world is flat.

by quoting my restatement of what smeone else said and adding 'no' to the end of it??
    You said
    have a competition but block the average punter from entering
    I disagree.
    Maybe I should have cut the end off the sentence the first time.

• Advertisement

I was being sarcastic.
    It is indeed dreadfully obvious. I gave you my answer and it did not satisfy you.
    Not everyone can be satisfied with the obvious and that is why some people still believe the world is flat.

that makes no sense. please stop with the waflling.

yor 'answer' was rule 12 exists to make sure peopel have a profile. Im sorry - but WTF? Whats that got to do with paranormal abilities?

Repeat after me 'It Has NOTHING' To Do With The Question'.

Say it loudly, cus hopefully next time maybe you'll give an 'answer' that actually relates in some way to the question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement