Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HMS Astute: world's most advanced nuclear submarine Gets stuck!

• 22-10-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

The world’s most advanced nuclear submarine, HMS Astute, has run aground on rocks off Scotland causing considerable embarrassment for Navy chiefs.

It is understood that the boat, which is first in its class, ran aground by its stern in a manoeuvre that “went slightly wrong” after it had dropped some sailors ashore in tidal waters off the Isle of Skye.

As the tide rapidly ebbed it is thought the skipper of Astute, Commander Andy Coles, decided not to power it off the obstruction as it would risk damaging the hull that carries some of the most advanced acoustic tiles that make Astute virtually undetectable beneath the seas.

Navy insiders insisted that there was no likelihood of a nuclear reactor leak or any other environmental issue.

No one was injured in the incident that happened earlier today. It came the morning after Trafalgar Day, where sailors celebrated the 205th anniversary of Nelson's victory.

At 7,200 tonnes the Astute is the biggest British nuclear attack submarine ever built.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ran aground? Not very Astute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

RobitTV wrote: »
    At 7,200 tonnes the Astute is the biggest British nuclear attack submarine most expensive coastal erosion barrier ever built.

FYP :D

Someone's going to lose their L plates over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Slightly perplexed by the claim it's the most advanced. I would have thought the US trumps anything the UK has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

bloody brits again. First the Titanic now this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

neris wrote: »
    bloody brits again. First the Titanic now this.

That was built by paddies. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

How very.....Astute...Of them.

YYYYYEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

mike65 wrote: »
    That was built by paddies. :pac:

historically inaccurate,built by British ulster men of the unionist margin

Slightly perplexed by the claim it's the most advanced. I would have thought the US trumps anything the UK has.

Be fair, the Americans still measure ingredients by the cup and use Fahrenheit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

On a provisional?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    historically inaccurate,built by British ulster men of the unionist margin

If you are born on the Island of Ireland you are Irish. Ones politics are a seperate matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

We know a song about that, don't we?

"Astute! Astute!
    All fall dowwwnnnnn!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Be fair, the Americans still measure ingredients by the cup and use Fahrenheit

And have you seen the size of the cups?

11l7rsx.jpg

If you are born on the Island of Ireland you are Irish. Ones politics are a seperate matter.

men of most probable scottish decent living in britain with british citizenship are suddenly irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

pmcmahon wrote: »
    men of most probable scottish decent living in britain with british citizenship are suddenly irish?

I think he's talking about the Titanic builders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The biggest submarine ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

so is he ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The latest US Virginia class is very similar, to the Astute, though the Astute is newer. That said no one knows the spec's of either, as a lot of it is classified. So who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

When a submarine which is designed to be undectable gets stuck, you would think the last thing they would want to do is tell the world.

"Hey, our totally undetectable submarine is over here...stuck on some rocks. Take your best shot!"

so am i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

most advanced maybe, but with disney having one of the bigges navys it's much of a muchness

• Advertisement
Advertisement