Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible for a Boxer & Cavalier King Charles to breed?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

I know this is probably a really stupid question so I apologize in advance, but I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a mix breed of the two.

Thing is we have a 17monthh old female boxer, and a couple of months back bought a male cavalier king Charles Pup. The last time the female was in heat, the male puppy was clearly trying to hump her. I doubt he could achieve anything right now even if he wanted to. How old do male dogs have to be before they can sire a litter?

I don't want the dogs to breed, and I'm kind of worrying about it right now. If there's no chance of these successfully breeding do I even need to get the female spayed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

DeWitt wrote: »
    I know this is probably a really stupid question so I apologize in advance, but I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a mix breed of the two.

Thing is we have a 17monthh old female boxer, and a couple of months back bought a male cavalier king Charles Pup. The last time the female was in heat, the male puppy was clearly trying to hump her. I doubt he could achieve anything right now even if he wanted to. How old do male dogs have to be before they can sire a litter?

I don't want the dogs to breed, and I'm kind of worrying about it right now. If there's no chance of these successfully breeding do I even need to get the female spayed?

If you don't want them to breed you will need to get the female spayed. Bitches can be spayed from six months onwards, if I remember correctly my vet told me that it was not necessary for them to even have their first season. If she is in heat at the moment then keep them separated until she is finished and then book her in for the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes absolutely, it is possible for them to breed. Once a bitch is ready to be mated, she will do anything to try and get to a dog if theres one around.

They can lie down etc to help the dog mate with them, ive heard of dogs mating through fences.

So please be very careful when your bitch comes into season and make sure they are kept separate at all times and dont leave them alone for a second as thats all it takes to get a tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

A new designer breed on the way perhaps? A Caxer doesnt sound great though :p
    Back to the serious side and I'd have to agree with both posts above and you should really get them both neutered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

my neighbour had a lovely saint bernard, until last week when she was in heat, loads of dogs calling to the house, so the owner ckept the dog inside, last monday she heard a loud bang in the kitchen, the saint b was after jumping through the patio door, unfortunatly the dog had to be pts it had bad injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Wow! Poor dog :(

Thanks everyone for your replies, I rang the vets & made an appointment for next Tuesday to have the dog spayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Wise move. I like both breeds and can't help being curious as to what a cross between the two breeds would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DeWitt wrote: »
    Wow! Poor dog :(

Thanks everyone for your replies, I rang the vets & made an appointment for next Tuesday to have the dog spayed.

Might be worth mentioning it to them that there is a possibility that she could be pregnant, when was she last in heat? She can still be neutered if she's pregnant but as far as I know it's a more complicated operation, no harm letting them know anyways so they can be expecting it.
    I seen a tiny jack russell (about 8 inches tall) mount a st bernard bitch yesterday so a boxer and king charles is definetely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I seen a tiny jack russell (about 8 inches tall) mount a st bernard bitch yesterday

do keep us posted :D

Advertisement