Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intern US Embassy interview

Options
  • 22-10-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

So I was at the US Embassy this morning, just thought I'd let you all know how I got on. I managed to overlap two 1-year J1 intern visas. I left my previous one two months early for personal reasons and applied for a new one before my year ran out this November.

I thought I would be asked a lot more questions than I was but I guess three previous visas and no criminal issues is a really good thing to have. She asked me three obvious facts (Name, company, profession) and that was it. "Your passport and visa will be in the post next week!". I have to say, I was quite shocked and delighted.

Can't wait to get back now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nice. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was blessed to be born in the United States. Love going to the Embassy to get my passport renewed they seem like a friendly bunch and I get to be amongst people trying to blag their best BS to get a visa.

Only down side is the hard time the Irish customs giving me coming back. Had to get the Gardai to sign my passport to state I'm a resident here. Then even with that I got the interrogation treatment. Eventually had to get an Irish passport. Don't really like travelling with two passports though. America doesn't recognise dual citizenship so I'm always worried they will find me out or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I was blessed to be born in the United States. Love going to the Embassy to get my passport renewed they seem like a friendly bunch and I get to be amongst people trying to blag their best BS to get a visa.

Only down side is the hard time the Irish customs giving me coming back. Had to get the Gardai to sign my passport to state I'm a resident here. Then even with that I got the interrogation treatment. Eventually had to get an Irish passport. Don't really like travelling with two passports though. America doesn't recognise dual citizenship so I'm always worried they will find me out or something!

The US is fine with dual citizenship. You just have to use the US passport to enter the US, (and the Irish to enter Ireland etc).

I'm entitled to three but I only have two. I've avoided a US passport because of the extensive reach of the IRS. The US is one of very few countries that will come after its citizens for Tax even though they live outside the US.

How do you deal with paying US taxes? As a US citizen you're required to file a US tax return even though you're resident in Ireland right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The US is fine with dual citizenship. You just have to use the US passport to enter the US, (and the Irish to enter Ireland etc).

I'm entitled to three but I only have two. I've avoided a US passport because of the extensive reach of the IRS. The US is one of very few countries that will come after its citizens for Tax even though they live outside the US.

How do you deal with paying US taxes? As a US citizen you're required to file a US tax return even though you're resident in Ireland right?

I have heard that before, I'm not paying any tax there..I better look into it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

US citizens must FILE taxes with the IRS even if living abroad (you can back file if you didn't realise this). However, in most cases you don't have to PAY taxes, as bilateral agreements mean you only get taxed once, ie in the country you currently live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement