Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad??, I already have MacBook Pro & iPhone 4 - Should I get one?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 2:29pm

Hi Guys & Gals

I have a MacBook Pro (newest model, 13inch) and an iPhone 4

Just trying to work out if its actually worth me buying an iPad.

A mate of mine has one and I used it for a few mins, yea its great....but as I already have a MacBook and iPhone, would it just be a waste of money.

Stupid questions, but here goes...
    I presume you still cannot watch anything like 4OD etc as that runs on flash, yea?
    Any movies you watch have to be "legit" ones from iTunes, is that right, or is there a way of adding them to iTunes then over
    If I get an airport, I presume I can use all the functions eg - share movies / music, photos between all 3 devices, yea?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would say, no, you don't need one at all.

But hey - if you're loaded - go for it!

(Also bear in mind it's still a first gen product)

Dades wrote: »
    I would say, no, you don't need one at all.

But hey - if you're loaded - go for it!

(Also bear in mind it's still a first gen product)

Short and simple answer - just what I wanted.

And no, I'm not loaded, redundant, yes, but not loaded...ha

What do you mean by the first gen product?.....should I just wait until the next gen comes out?

My way of thinking is that it is basically a big iPhone, so its wayyy more restricted than a MacBook, but can do ever so slightly more than an iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

You can watch any type of movie either via iTunes or stream via Air Video. I ended up selling my iBook after I bought an iPad, it became completely redundant. For heavy duty stuff, work etc, I have an iMac, for browsing, movies etc the iPad is great. Couldn't consider a laptop ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've a Macbook Pro like yourself and my mother has an iPad in the house. It's a lovely device but I don't use it. I much prefer sitting at the MBP with the mouse and using it as a normal machine. I never took to the iPad, I found touch browsing more frustrating than anything. My MBP does everything and I don't need anything else.

It all comes down to preference. I would see if you could get a loan of the iPad from your mate for a weekend or so and see if you like it.

Personally the MBP blows it out of the water! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

No way! You have enough gadgets that all do the same thing anyway...with the recession, would'nt it be more sensible to save some money for something more fun or useful?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ipad-vs-blu-tack1.jpg

I've a MB & iPhone 3g and wouldnt consider getting one.. better things to buy tbh!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What do you mean by the first gen product?.....should I just wait until the next gen comes out?
    Yeah it's always good practice to not rush and buy first gen products. They'll release an updated iPad soon with more capabilities and any teething issues from the first one ironed out.
    My way of thinking is that it is basically a big iPhone, so its wayyy more restricted than a MacBook, but can do ever so slightly more than an iPhone
    Well I have an iPhone and a laptop at home for mucking about. The iPhone serves for surfing when the missis is on the laptop and the laptop serves for multimedia stuff much easier than dealing with iTunes and file conversions and whatnot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It depends on how you use your existing devices and how an iPad might fit into that arrangement.

I have an iPhone, iPad and MBP, but when I'm at home I use the MBP as a desktop with external display and am not too inclined to go unhooking it (interrupting whatever it's doing) and dragging it around the house. So my iPad gets a lot of use.

On the other hand, if I had a 27-inch iMac as well and my MBP spent most of it's time sitting on the coffee table or next to the bed, I would have a harder time justifying an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I presume you still cannot watch anything like 4OD etc as that runs on flash, yea?
    Any movies you watch have to be "legit" ones from iTunes, is that right, or is there a way of adding them to iTunes then over
    If I get an airport, I presume I can use all the functions eg - share movies / music, photos between all 3 devices, yea?

4OD works fine on the iPad, at least through Plex it does. No issues whatsoever.

If you have a VPN, BBC iplayer and ABC work too, although ABC is a dedicated app and really a cut down version of the main site.

You can stream all your media( more or less) to the iPad too.

I don't have a MBP so can't really advise you. I have a iMac and I can safely say a day hasn't gone by when I haven't used the iPad since I bought it back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I have an iMac, MBP, iPad and iPhone 4. The MBP and iMac are both from december/january 2008/9.

I opened the MBP up the other day and the iCal icon in the dock took a second to update the date, last used 3 of september... It's a great machine and I'm going to start using it much more.

I live on the iMac, and it has hundreds of things being done at once, I'm going to split these up between the two machines, but I don't really need the laptop for this, but I do need it for travel etc (photography) about 8 times a year. Refuse to sell it. It's handy.

Had an iPhone 3G, will never use another phone (at the minute any way) and I needed an upgrade, 4 it was.

iPad was a want product, don't really need it handy for showing off photographs etc. Web browsing, other general sh1te, and the girlfriend loves playing games on it, worms is great fun!!

You don't need it, so I would say don't get it.

I would permanently be using the laptop if I hadn't got the iMac for free due to numerous faulty mac laptops. The phone was always going to be had and the iPad isn't needed but wanted.

Don't spend money on it to see it lie on a desk for days or even weeks. It's heartbreaking to see stuff like that not being used, hence the rebirth of my laptop. I'm even lending it to the GF and family members, something I'd never normally do with my Apple babies!!

Save and buy yourself a real toy you'd need, not sure what yet, but you don't need an iPad!!

• Advertisement

Cheers guys....you've made my decision for me !

I'll stick to my MBP (my baby!)

Advertisement