Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Homer Simpson is not a Catholic"

• 22-10-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11593990

..and neither is this homer..

The real shocker of this story is the fact that the Vatican claimed he was in the first place! Are they really so out of touch? Do they think he makes a great role model? Would he even be classified as Christian? Perhaps they think it doesnt matter whether or not he's a Christian, as long as he is Catholic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pretty sure he founded his own religion, joined a cult and met God (at least once).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think we should have a light-hearted thread just to chart some of the more amusing and bizarre news stories attached to Christianity.

I came across this one recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I have it on good authority, that the reason Tom and Jerry is no longer on our screens, is that they became born again. Tom realised he should love his neighbour, and Jerry embraced him with a heart of forgiveness.

They were converted by Coyote, who had a conversion experience after a giant piece of cliff edge fell on his head while chasing Roadrunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think we should have a light-hearted thread just to chart some of the more amusing and bizarre news stories attached to Christianity.

Hahahaha. Hillarious:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

homer911 wrote: »

The real shocker of this story is the fact that the Vatican claimed he was in the first place! Are they really so out of touch? Do they think he makes a great role model? Would he even be classified as Christian? Perhaps they think it doesnt matter whether or not he's a Christian, as long as he is Catholic
    Maybe they reckon Homer is not far off the average person on the parochial list? He certainly would pass for the average nominal Protestant.

The Simpsons has some classic observations on modern life, and some very funny:
    Mr. Burns: Family. Religion. friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed.

Bart: Aren't we forgetting the true meaning of Christmas? You know, the birth of Santa.

Homer: When will I learn? The answers to life's problems aren't at trhe bottom of a bottle - they're on TV!

Sideshow Bob: Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?

Ecclesiastes 2:26 For God gives wisdom and knowledge and joy to a man who is good in His sight; but to the sinner He gives the work of gathering and collecting, that he may give to him who is good before God. This also is vanity and grasping for the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Maybe they should use g-y, as PC sites use for words they don't permit? But then we would have to figure out if it referred to a man, a homosexual or a gentile. :D

Even this board has problems for those wishing to quote songs or speech that have the word n*gger. I'm all for removing offensive language, but the computer generated censor does have its limitations. [I've just now tried several other abusive terms, religious and racial, but its seems they are not on the auto-censor].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Arent the Simpsons Lutheran or some other presbyterian/episcopal faith?

as an aside one of my fave episodes ever was when bart & homer become catholic because of the charm of a catholic priest (voiced by liam Neeson)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Arent the Simpsons Lutheran or some other presbyterian/episcopal faith?

it is never made clear iirc , but i think it is safe to say Rev Lovejoy was never ment to be a RC preist LOL

as an aside one of my fave episodes ever was when bart & homer become catholic because of the charm of a catholic priest (voiced by liam Neeson)

did they not stop before the baptisim ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JesterMinute

The fella who wrote the piece in OR denied what the media said he said. The MSM took it up wrong. I can't find the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JesterMinute

The author of a much-discussed article in the Vatican newspaper about The Simpsons has complained that his words have been misinterpreted.

Father Francesco Occhetta, who wrote in L’Osservatore Romano that the television show should be commended for raising serious issues about faith, denied reports that he had classified the Simpson characters as good Catholics. “I wouldn’t say that at all,” he said; “I would say they’re people of faith.”

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=8012

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

At least Homer is a man willing to lift his eyes to the skies in times of need
    "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

it is never made clear iirc , but i think it is safe to say Rev Lovejoy was never ment to be a RC preist LOL?

No, it was clarified alright. They attend the Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism who schismed from the Catholic faith in 1573 over the congregations right to attend church with wet hair. True story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

The real shocker of this story is the fact that the Vatican claimed he was in the first place!

How shocking! where? Please don't post a newspaper as official Vatican policy!

Are they really so out of touch?

Nope. You are it seems. Where is your evidence the Vatican claim Homer is a Catholic?
    Do they think he makes a great role model? Would he even be classified as Christian?

I would think he is stupid but he does love his family and suffers for them. And admits when he is wrong.
    Perhaps they think it doesnt matter whether or not he's a Christian, as long as he is Catholic

Perhaps you should look up the definition of Catholic? Do you really believe roman Catholics are not Christian?

And to people who say it isn't important, remember when George Bush said "I wan't families more Waltons than Simpsons" or some such comment. He lost one per cent in the polls! And they made a Simpsons epsode featuring it which cost him another per cent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Wow! No sense of humour!
    ISAW wrote: »
    How shocking! where? Please don't post a newspaper as official Vatican policy!

I provided a link to an article which referred to this - I never said it was "official Vatican policy". I'm sure the Vatican has far more important things to make up policy about

I would think he is stupid but he does love his family and suffers for them. And admits when he is wrong.

So that makes him a Christian? On that basis pretty much everyone is a Christian. Even atheists can pray when they run out options...
    Perhaps you should look up the definition of Catholic? Do you really believe roman Catholics are not Christian?

I would have said exactly the same about Protestants, but nobody in any Protestant church tried to lay claim to him!

I still don't see the point of any religion claiming the affiliation of a cartoon character and, in this case, doing it on the back of one episode in a thousand

I'm looking forward to a follow-up episode after all this..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Wow! No sense of humour!

I provided a link to an article which referred to this - I never said it was "official Vatican policy". I'm sure the Vatican has far more important things to make up policy about

Others did though or believe it so. I didn't mean to imply you actually believed the suggestion was true. I assumed you don't.
    So that makes him a Christian? On that basis pretty much everyone is a Christian. Even atheists can pray when they run out options...

If they can get the heaven I suppose so.
    I would have said exactly the same about Protestants, but nobody in any Protestant church tried to lay claim to him!

Well counter evidence was posted but it depends iof you mean Roman or Anglican Catholics ( for which a link to such a claim was supplied) . If you did not mean Romans then why associate the Vatican?
    I still don't see the point of any religion claiming the affiliation of a cartoon character and, in this case, doing it on the back of one episode in a thousand

Yeah only a Mickey Mouse religion would do that ! :)
    I'm looking forward to a follow-up episode after all this..

See? Maybe the comment on audience demographics was right? People will watch it more if they think it is okay for family viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Time for a famous Simpsons quote:

Bart: I thought we were going to breakfast.
    Marge: First, we're visiting grampa.
    Homer: No fair, we just went to church.
    Bart: So we already heard stories from thousands of years ago that didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭chainsaws

Homer and Bart are Presbylutherans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Plowman wrote: »

Particularly for someone who's taken a vow of poverty! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

Plowman wrote: »

He said he was looking after it for a parishioner, I think.

I only hope the imposter wasn't attempting to hear confessions or say Mass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He said he was looking after it for a parishioner, I think.

The money was resting in my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The money was resting in my account.

I don't disbelieve the monk, but that excuse didn't really work when a teenager's mom found cigarettes in his school blazer.

''I'm looking after them for a friend.''

Sure. Because your friend is not big and bad enough to carry his own cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

it is never made clear iirc , but i think it is safe to say Rev Lovejoy was never ment to be a RC preist LOL

I remember one epsoid where they refer to lovejoy's church as ''The one true church of west springfield presbaluthernism'':D

Advertisement