Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips and tricks for binding burgers

Options
  • 22-10-2010 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm experimenting with liver burgers :). and I can make a nice mix using,
    Onion, egg, liver and a small amount of tomatoe pura, But I can't for the life of me get it to bind.

Do you guys have any tips or idea's I could try?
    Has anybody tried using those small bottomless tins in their burgers making or would it work.

Yummm!! Liver burgers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Liver Burgers eh? Never heard of that one before! I'd imagine that mixture would be fairly wet, so how about some breadcrumbs to bind it all together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

I read the thread title as "Tips and tricks for blinding burglars"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

Alun wrote: »
    Liver Burgers eh? Never heard of that one before! I'd imagine that mixture would be fairly wet, so how about some breadcrumbs to bind it all together?

Yes, liver burgers are my invention, (patent pending :p).
    Good idea will add some breadcrumbs to the next batch. (If this works I'll split the profits :cool:)

turbobaby wrote: »
    I read the thread title as "Tips and tricks for blinding burglars"!

I think you'll need more than a few eggs and onions for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

If you are using raw onions it may have ome trouble binding.

I'd either grate the onions or cook them very slowly first.

Breadcrumbs definetly for some additional texture and helps the binding and I also always add in about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar - gives it just a little bit of a kick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I like liver but that sounds mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Is the liver sliced or minced? If minced, you could mix with a bit of minced beef/pork/lamb, your gently sweated onions, herbs, seasoning, some breadcrumbs and a beaten egg.

Or does it have to be all liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Flour also works well

I'm trying to make a bit of a nutritional monster here....

From Fitday, so this some milk and few seeds and your sorted for the day :D

Food Name
    Amount
    Unit
    Cals
    Fat (g)
    Carbs (g)
    Prot (g)
    Delete

Total

Beef liver, fried
    cup, cooked, dicedoz, cookedoz, raw (yield after cooking)cubic inch, cookedslice (6-1/2" x 2-3/8" x 3/8")gramskglboz347
    Onions, yellow, sauteed
    cup choppedgramskglboz132
    Egg, whole, fried
    cupeggextra largejumbolargemediumsmallgramskglboz87
    Coconut oil
    cuptablespoongramskglboz43
    Broccoli, cooked
    cupcup, floweretsfloweretspear (about 5" long)gramskglboz54
    [/TABLE]

RDA% RDAVitamin A
    mcg
    Vitamin A
    IU
    ----Vitamin B6
    mg
    Vitamin B12
    mcg
    Vitamin C
    mg
    Vitamin D
    mcg
    Vitamin D
    IU
    ----Vitamin E
    mg
    Vitamin E
    IU
    --

Calcium
    mg
    Cholesterol
    mg
    ----Copper
    mg
    Iron
    mg
    Magnesium
    mg
    Manganese
    mg
    Niacin
    mg

Pant. Acid
    mg
    Phosphorus
    mg
    Potassium
    mg
    Riboflav
    mg
    Selenium
    mcg
    Sodium
    mg
    Thiamin
    mg
    Water
    g
    ----Zinc
    mg

But in short there would be lots for good stuff in one of these burgers if I could make it work....and they actually don't taste too bad so far.

• Advertisement

00112984 wrote: »
    Is the liver sliced or minced? If minced, you could mix with a bit of minced beef/pork/lamb, your gently sweated onions, herbs, seasoning, some breadcrumbs and a beaten egg.

Or does it have to be all liver?

Ah! at the moment I'm chopping it up myself......It's a very messy job....the neighbors probably think I some sort or pyscopath, with all the chopping and the blood ever where!

I think you might be right about mixing some beef in, it would help with the texture alright.

Will try frying the onions first next time as that should make them smaller and more pilable.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'm report back with the final masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Mr Marri wrote: »
    Ah! at the moment I'm chopping it up myself

In that case I'd definitely try mincing it. It's hard to find a butcher who will mince "other" meats for you but if you don't have a mincer yourself at home they can be picked up cheaply enough from good kitchen shops.

I'd imagine that no matter how finely you're chopping it at the moment the liver is too dense to stay in place in a burger shape so even mixing it with some minced beef should help.

I'm a little intrigued by the idea of a liver burger. Not something that's making me foam at the mouth, I must admit but an interesting idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anyone have any ideas for binding burgers without using egg? My OH is allergic to a ton of stuff, including eggs, and it makes making burgers/breading chicken really difficult.

00112984 wrote: »
    I'm a little intrigued by the idea of a liver burger. Not something that's making me foam at the mouth, I must admit but an interesting idea.
    Traditional f a g g o t s s (a British speciality) although they're more a large meatball rather than a burger, contain a certain amount of liver, and indeed the commercially made ones are as I understand it almost all liver and they're actually very tasty. They are quite heavily spiced though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_%28food%29 (insert f a g g o t without the spaces instead of the *'s to get around the silly swear filter!!)

http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/******s.htm

Traditional f a g g o t s s (a British speciality) although they're more a large meatball rather than a burger, contain a certain amount of liver, and indeed the commercially made ones are as I understand it almost all liver and they're actually very tasty. They are quite heavily spiced though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_%28food%29 (insert f a g g o t without the spaces instead of the *'s to get around the silly swear filter!!)

Found this receipe aswell, It looks like they use pig liver, I don't think I've ever seen pig liver in ireland.

I will have to invest in a mincer.

Found this receipe aswell,

http://www.hub-uk.com/tallyrecip01/recipe0010.htm

It looks like they use pig liver, I don't think I've ever seen pig liver in ireland.

I will have to invest in a mincer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

It looks like they use pig liver, I don't think I've ever seen pig liver in ireland.

Anytime I'm in Tesco in Clare Hall Pigs liver is right next to the Lambs liver.

It tends to be too strong for simple liver and onion recipes so I never buy it. But the two packs look so similar I'm always careful to pick up the right one.

As well as looking for burger recipes why don't you google liver dumplings? The ingredients are very similar, and steaming them (I've done it) seems a gentler way of cooking so that the binding might not be so critical.

That's odd, I've had the opposite experience in that pigs liver is pretty much the only liver I've found here with any degree of reliability. I've never seen lambs liver or beef liver, although it must be available as I had some the other night in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I've never seen lambs liver or beef liver

Bought lambs liver this morning. Tesco charge €4.70 per kilo for it, so a 300gm pack, which will feed two comfortably, costs less than €1.50. There's no waste, either.

Mustard mash and onion gravy and that's dinner for about €2.00.

Beef liver is really only fit for feeding to the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi folks,

I'm experimenting with liver burgers :). and I can make a nice mix using,
    Onion, egg, liver and a small amount of tomatoe pura, But I can't for the life of me get it to bind.

Do you guys have any tips or idea's I could try?
    Has anybody tried using those small bottomless tins in their burgers making or would it work.

Yummm!! Liver burgers :D

all those ingredients will not bind until you add breadcrumbs or flour or breadcrumbs and flour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

kylith wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas for binding burgers without using egg? My OH is allergic to a ton of stuff, including eggs, and it makes making burgers/breading chicken really difficult.

spelt flour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

goat2 wrote: »
    spelt flour
    For binding or for breading? Would it stick to the chicken without anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Try using a finely grated potato to bind the liver. The Potato will cook and the starch released will hold the burger together

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

To bind beefburgers I blitz onion and breadcrumbs together - add this to mixture to bind

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

My tip for binding burgers ( and meatballs etc ) is to 1. Knead the burger mixture until it resembles bread dough 2. squeeze your patties well and also slap them from your hand onto a hard surface to impact the mixture .

Advertisement