Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay for golf weekend near Galway City?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

I have 3 uncles (40's and 50's) coming over to Ireland for a weekend in May 2011 to play some golf. Any suggestions on best courses, nightlife and where is best to get the head down will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Are you from Galway and are your relatives coming from the U.S?

One course that always goes down well with visiting Americans is Ashford castle. It's a modest 9-hole but the grounds are spectacular.

Galway golf club and Ballyconneely in Connemara are two 18-holer's that I would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

spinnaker house hotel, Salthill, galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Are you from Galway and are your relatives coming from the U.S?

One course that always goes down well with visiting Americans is Ashford castle. It's a modest 9-hole but the grounds are spectacular.

Galway golf club and Ballyconneely in Connemara are two 18-holer's that I would recommend.
    No I'm Scottish and live in Ireland (not Galway) and the uncles are coming over from Glasgow. Ballyconneely would be a favourite place of mine anyway, so will check this club out. thank you

They're not coming until May 2011 so I will keep bumping this if it's ok :p

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

spinnaker house hotel, Salthill, galway

no

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

One more place that comes to mind is the Greg Norman designed course in Doonbeg, Co. Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have 3 uncles (40's and 50's) coming over to Ireland for a weekend in May 2011 to play some golf. Any suggestions on best courses, nightlife and where is best to get the head down will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

You would be best off asking this question over on the Golf board, they will give you good idea of best courses along the west of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

thank you

Connemara Golf Club
    Galway Bay G+C Club
    Galway Golf Club
    Lahinch Golf Club

Depends on how far you want to travel. If it's just for a weekend then trips to Ballybunion, etc might be a bit far unless you decide to base yourself closer to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 missymooo

Oughterard has a fab 18 hole golf course set in beautiful grounds and a top class club house! Also like the galway bay golfcourse!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Bearna Golf Club - stay in the Twelve hotel 2 miles away. Taxis to town aren't expensive if you're sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

EI111 wrote: »
    no

Big NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Some great info here, thanks very much. Just searching for decent accomodation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

try galwayholidaylets.com if your looking for self catering

hope they enjoy the holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

wherever they end up staying, google 'Lidl Breaks'. A lot of hotels are listed and its for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

thank you

http://www.westportgolfclub.com/pages/location.html

westport is a beautiful town and plenty of places to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Where to stay for golf weekend near Galway City?

Ballybunion.

If they're Yanks, then 100s of miles mean nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

best to stay in town. somewhere like jurys is an ideal location. right at the bottom of quay st it really is the most ideally located hotel in galway, and is so handy for anyone who just fancies taking a stroll through the town. you will save money big time on taxis.

anyway as for the best courses, i just bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hooked-Amateurs-Guide-Courses-Ireland/dp/190517294X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289578841&sr=8-1

this guy has rated all the courses in ireland and the best ones he picked in galway are in order:

1 connamara
    2 bearna
    3 porttumna

for 1 and 3 you will need a car to drive to them(and if you do have a car check out ballinrobe in mayo too)
    bearna i seasily accesible from galway city, being only 5 miles out. galway bay is a fantastic course but there are no clubhouse facilities at the moment. other courses around are galway golf course, oughterard and athenry. all perfectly fine tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chicofuentes

<bringing up an old thread to promote a business is not allowed.
    PM me if you have any questions, moderator>

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

A personal opinion of course but whoever that bloke was that rated Bearna as the second best course in Galway needs his head examined. I don't like the finishing holes once you cross the road and I'm not much of a fan of the rest..!!

Galway GC (Salthill) is always a solid test of golf, Oughterard would be easier both in terms of challenge and on the body as its far flatter than Galway. Connemara can be a beast when windy so for 90% of the year is tough but a great course. Ballyconneely is another good links course and when the wind is up can be a good test.

With the "current economic climate" there are good deals available for the more well known courses such as Ballybunion and Lahinch but for me and I am biased but I'd stick with the relativel less well know courses closer to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lockage, we also have a lovely dedicated golf forum over here if more golfing discussion is required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement