Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XML... whats its purpose?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Just trying to teach myself some XML but i find it extremely confusing, i know it's mostly HTML tags,but why not use HTML which seems a lot easier??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xonet

Purpose of XML is to store date in a structured format so that it can be parsed and manipulated programatically

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Its just structured data. It makes it easy to pass data around between applications. Its also very easy to use x-path to quickly extract a piece of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Its also used extensively in the OSS / BSS worlds via North Bound Interfaces etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wapnote

XML is just a way of storing data. By using tags and sub tags you can give your data structure. Using parsers you can read data from xml files straight into your code easily.

HTML combines data and formatting information.

XML just contains data. You can use XSLT stylesheets if you want to display XML data in a web page. This allows separation between the data and the formatting.

Advertisement