Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I guess I need to work on my shouty voice...

• 22-10-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

I hit a pedestrian on Sth. William St. (Dublin) earlier. It wasn't that bad as I shouted at her just as she sauntered in front of the bike. I did make her spin round though. I stayed on the bike thankf**k. :pac:

So, other than shouting at pedestrians any other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

same advice to as cars get....

slow down in Pedestrian areas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

How about slow down in area's with high pedestrian traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I was going slow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

A bell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Get yourself an Airzound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Work on anticipation also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Dord wrote: »
    I hit a pedestrian on Sth. William St. (Dublin) earlier. It wasn't that bad as I shouted at her just as she sauntered in front of the bike. I did make her spin round though. I stayed on the bike thankf**k. :pac:
    Dord wrote: »
    I was going slow

Obviously not slow enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

madrabui wrote: »
    A bell?
    murph226 wrote: »
    Get yourself an Airzound!
    Even at slow speeds, if someone blindly walks out in front of you, you'd be too busy braking/swerving to avoid them to faff about with a bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Blowfish wrote: »
    Even at slow speeds, if someone blindly walks out in front of you, you'd be too busy braking/swerving to avoid them to faff about with a bell.

Well at that stage then you can rule out shouting too, and just pad the bike with pillows.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I suggest this:

ryan+trebon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Worst I had was when a pedestrian, who was on the footpath less than a bike length away, just did a right turn out onto the road. Was going slow enough but there was no time to react, just plowed into him. I'd say it was painful for him....

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

You gotta have alertness. I never hit a pedestrian - only jammed on the brakes. It's only those pesky motorists that have hit me (nothing serious though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've had two bumps into pedestrians: one was when someone jumped (yes, they actually hopped forward) off a bus as I was passing, the other was a van was perpendicular to the cycle lane, sitting in bus lane, I think they were waiting to reverse in when the gates were opened. Anyway, passenger appears out from behind the van and just walked straight into my path.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what speed you are doing or how slow you are going, people just don't look and walk in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

yup an absolute nobjockey walked in front of me this morning, i managed to slow and creep to the right but even shouting at him he didnt notice me because of his ipod and general air of nobjockery. At this stage i was against the footpath on the other side of the road. I explained to him that he would be dead if I was one of the 3 motorbikes that were coming behind me. he took one ear piece out said "whatever. its cool yeah" and sneered at me, lookin around like I was the asshole that almost got killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

poochiem wrote: »
    he took one ear piece out said "whatever. its cool yeah" and sneered at me, lookin around like I was the asshole that almost got killed

darwin-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭buffalo

Blowfish wrote: »

Use the bell well in advance as a warning (with anticipation), not at the last second.

Although there'll always be cases where it won't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe we need The Whistler to come on here and give us advice on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

buffalo wrote: »
    Although there'll always be cases where it won't make a difference.
    Indeed, if someone is walking along a path, it's sometimes impossible to tell if they're going to step off and cross without looking.

Thanks to all those who jumped down my throat and suggested I was going very fast. :rolleyes:
    joker77 wrote: »
    Worst I had was when a pedestrian, who was on the footpath less than a bike length away, just did a right turn out onto the road. Was going slow enough but there was no time to react, just plowed into him. I'd say it was painful for him....

This is exactly what happened here. I wasn't going fast at all, she just walked out at the last minute. I swerved and shouted at her and managed to only brush off her shoulder with mine which spun her around. She let an almighty scream outta her. :D

I like the suggestion of a sword but it may be overkill. :p I'll have a look round for a nice bell and take the advice of using it in advance as a warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Was she hot? I've seen a few movies in my day.... and if they're anything to go by, then that was your big moment to get in there and seal the deal. Might be a bit late now though.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Do you keep an arm's length away from the footpath where possible. Coupled with a moderate pace it usually gives you plenty of time to react. But not always ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I saw a pedestrian get hit the other day when she jumped out of a cab in the middle of the road - not at the curbside - and straight into the path of an oncoming bike.

Some people are just too stupid not to get hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Anticipation, positioning and a shout are the best tools IMO. Also, being prepared to stop. On Sth William St, as it's a one way single lane, I'd cycle along the middle. Cars probably can't pass anyway, so it should be holding up nobody.

The worst place on my commute is coming from Nassau St. onto the corner of Merrion Square at the lights beside the Merrion Hotel. Haven't had an incident in a while, but this is where I find I'm most likely to see this. The crossers are usually aware of cars so if there doesn't happen to be any around me, I'll stay VERY far out from the kerb - on the line between the 2 lanes - to give myself more wriggle room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm not a big fan of shouting at peds tbh, as it leads to confusion.... if someone's walking in front of you and you shout, they will either run forward, backwards or stop dead, and you've no idea which one of them they'll do -it's better to say nothing until you taken avoiding actin and are past them.

This doesn't work so well when they get in your path with no room to move, but if that's the case, a shout will tend not to have made a difference, so I'd not worry about it, and just call them a cunt on the way past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yogipear

I have an airzound and i find it usually makes everyone freeze in place ped, cars, etc.
    I did have a scrote jump infront of me on tuesday and wave his hands and the airzound shifted him fairly quickly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

yogipear wrote: »
    I have an airzound and i find it usually makes everyone freeze in place ped, cars, etc.
    I did have a scrote jump infront of me on tuesday and wave his hands and the airzound shifted him fairly quickly though.

I intend to purchase an airzound shortly, I don't think bells cut it at all - particularly in alerting errant motorists. Are they available over the counter anywhere in Dublin does anyone know. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

.... if someone's walking in front of you and you shout, they will either run forward, backwards or stop dead, and you've no idea which one of them they'll do -it's better to say nothing until you taken avoiding actin and are past them

I find that if somebody knows you're there and you can see them looking at you, you've got a better idea of what their next action will be. If they're oblivious to you, then they might start/stop/run so it's harder to react accordingly. Another benefit of the shout is that it will hopefully make them and anybody else in the vicinity a bit more conscious of looking left/right before stepping out onto the road.

CarlosK wrote: »
    Was she hot? I've seen a few movies in my day.... and if they're anything to go by, then that was your big moment to get in there and seal the deal. Might be a bit late now though.... :D

She wasn't half bad tbh. :p

Those airzound things sound a bit like overkill but I dunno I guess I'd have to hear one in action first.

I have an airzound. One of the problems is that the sound is very like a train sound, so if you're anywhere near some tracks it would be assumed its coming from there. Also the mount I have isn't compatible with OS bars which is an issue. Very loud though, and it can be handy, but using it on pedestrians / other cyclists probably won't go down well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I hit a school kid once who jumped out of a parked car. I broke my wrist, loads of gravel rash and a bent bike, and the little fecker ran off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

trad wrote: »
    I hit a school kid once who jumped out of a parked car. I broke my wrist, loads of gravel rash and a bent bike, and the little fecker ran off.

what about the car he jumped out of:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

hobochris wrote: »
    How about slow down in area's with high pedestrian traffic.
    robtri wrote: »
    same advice to as cars get....

slow down in Pedestrian areas...
    hobochris wrote: »
    Obviously not slow enough.

If you're going really slow a pedestrian can still walk out onto the road and into your path or walk back from the road into you.

I find road positioning helps here -- keep away from the kerb -- but also isn't something that always works.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

monument wrote: »
    If you're going really slow a pedestrian can still walk out onto the road and into your path or walk back from the road into you.

I find road positioning helps here -- keep away from the kerb -- but also isn't something that always works.

Yeah, and own the road where there are parked cars. If you are cycling past a line of cars, give them enough room to open the door. I've had a few near misses but never actually hit someone getting out of a car or the door. If you hit someone getting out of a car, well, as far as I'm concerned, it's both your faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

South William street is in practice almost a pedestrian street. People spill out of the pubs (Grogans) and wander across the road. Same applies to all the little streets around there - some are pedestrian, some not.

The OP should have been cycling at a walking pace, or else keeping to the centre of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do squirrels count as pedestrians ? A brazen one this morning strolled out in front of me, stopped for a look, I thought he'd turn around out of my way but he just continued on daring me to cycle over him. Something should be done about wildlife using cycle lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

el tonto wrote: »
    I suggest this:

ryan+trebon.jpg
    Ha ha i know how ya feel

Advertisement