Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forster St. bus lane

Options
  • 22-10-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

anyone know what the story is with car access when the new bus lane on Forster St. comes into effect next Wednesday? the street can't take a bus and car side-by-side so are cars banned between 1600 and 1900?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The street can take a bus + car, provided there are no parked cars on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

There seems to be a bit of a no-mans-land at the bottom of the hill, where the bus lane keeps going right up to the junction, but there is no markings letting you know if you can use it when turning right down past the parkhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The fact that you've normally got one or more Burkes from Tuam buses parked in the top left hand corner doesn't help.

Are they there legally?

And if so, what f*ck wit deemed that a good idea?
    And why have we spent all that money on a new bus terminal?
    Wasn't that to prevent these situations?

Puzzled...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I doubt Burkes want to pay to use the new depot.

The fact that you've normally got one or more Burkes from Tuam buses parked in the top left hand corner doesn't help.

Are they there legally?

And if so, what f*ck wit deemed that a good idea?
    And why have we spent all that money on a new bus terminal?
    Wasn't that to prevent these situations?

Puzzled...

Yes, they were there, legally. Not there any more though: they moved the Burkes bus stop around the corner into Bothar um-whatever a couple of month back.

However the same spot is still a bus stop for the city tour buses, and for regular city services.

Decisions about placement of bus-stops are made by AGS (not sure I'd want to be called gardi anything-wits in public, YMMY).

As someone said, the "landing charges" to use the new bus-station are quite high: targetted to long distance buses rather than short-hop commuter services. But please don't ask why there's not a taxi-stand outside!

And (to answer the poster before), I'm sure there are still more road markings to be painted in to Forster St, it's still a mess ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

jkforde wrote: »
    anyone know what the story is with car access when the new bus lane on Forster St. comes into effect next Wednesday? the street can't take a bus and car side-by-side so are cars banned between 1600 and 1900?
    Does this mean we have to go straight through the lights and through the bus station to get into eyre square? Thats a right auld pain.

Really hate those burkes buses and the likes who park on the bothair bhrendain ui eithir (the road in question). They stop traffic from using the left lane... I use that lane to get to my house! They're no doubt out to inconvien me!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Does this mean we have to go straight through the lights and through the bus station to get into eyre square? Thats a right auld pain.

Doubt they would do that, as long as the traffic lights have a green arrow pointing right im sure its fine to turn off towards eyre square. Sending people through the bus station would be a joke.

More likely that the parking will be removed from Forster St from 4-7pm. Far more sensible, IMHO.
    Really hate those burkes buses and the likes who park on the bothair bhrendain ui eithir (the road in question). They stop traffic from using the left lane...

As I recall the city-councillors aren't too thrilled about 'em either. Take it up with the guards, they approved the stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

And what about the taxis which have always queued up around the corner?

Oh my. Hope someone gets a right kick up the arse for what they have done.

Right lane is now Bus only. Middle lane is for turning right (eyre square) and the left lane is for going left and straight.
    Only, the corresponding traffic lights are elsewhere. Turning lane lights are in the left lane, ok. Going straight (left lane) are in the middle lane, and going right lights (middle lane) are in the right lane.
    Watched traffic for a few mins there tonight and not even taxis could get it right.
    Whats worst, the lights dont match up for the left lane (going left, or straight). If you're going left, but the guy infront of you is going straight, you may have a green light, but cant go, because the straight light is red.

Whats more, some are using both left and middle lanes to go straight, and some are using both middle and bus lane to go right. Its just asking for someone to crash.

I really should record it and show the madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yep,it's all over the place at the minute. I came that way this evening from Bohermore side and was going straight through the lights and no one knew which lane to be in. There were cars just stopping dead in the road trying to see where they should be.

So they fixed the lights around, and have those big portable LED signs flashing away showing what lane to be in, at least some of the confusion has been lifted.

As for the bus lane, it now stretches all the way to about centra, and is off limits between 4pm and 7pm. The other 2 lanes going from the junction towards eyre square merge into one, causing lots of congestion as lights are red here there and everywhere.

Also, once 7pm kicked in, everyone decided the bus lane was back to being on street parking. My understanding would of been that its just open to all vehicles outside of those hours.

People are retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I have genuinely never come across anywhere like Galway for disrespectful motoring, it puts me off driving anywhere unless necessary around the city, due to the actual driving as well as the parking/dumping the car wherever.

Coming down Bothar Brendain(? the road where the new bus lane is leading onto Forster Street) to go to the bus station this morning was lethal. Yes the lights weren't orientated to match the road markings correctly but in fairness the road markings were big and white, traffic was light and there were road signs in place. Motorists persisted in using the middle lane to go straight ahead, causing me to brake while using the newly correct lane to go straight ahead to the bus station on a wet road. Still, first day using them so, understandable but still irritating!!!

Nothing however to the daft pr*ck in the Opel car that stopped quicky outside where Al Murettos used to be and parked up. When a car that was behind him and had evidently not expected this manouvere beeped he beeped back and put his fingers up! Hello!!! That is a road, not a parking space you twat.

Roadworks at the minute are painful :-(

Advertisement