Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport tax refund

Options
  • 22-10-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

I cancelled a flight recently and was wondering am I entitled to claim a refund on the taxes I paid and who I would contact, I know I'm not entitled to the cost of the flight.

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact your airline. They usually charge an administration fee which is close to the taxes you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Which airline was it? Most airlines have a section on their website with details how you can claim back your tax. But be aware that most of them charge an administrative fee to process the refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Philip_irl

One of the guys on another thread said that there was a website in Ireland set up to help refund your taxes and fees.

Never gave the url though. :(

Anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Philip_irl wrote: »
    One of the guys on another thread said that there was a website in Ireland set up to help refund your taxes and fees.
    Sounds like one of the "pay us to do it for you" sites where they charge any where from 10 to 50% of what they recover.

I'll have a look around Google more to see it appears.

Would be interesting to see what they charge alright.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Sounds like one of the "pay us to do it for you" sites where they charge any where from 10 to 50% of what they recover.

I don't know if you can mention websites here, so if you go to Google and search for the following "uncollected Taxes On Cancelled Flights" you will find them. I can't see any charge but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The website being referenced is www.airtaxrefund.com. This appears to be a consumer advocate group who are attempting to organise an easier refund process for passengers.

They do state
    For the moment, we’re not charging any fees for our service, but we probably will early in the New Year. But don’t worry; they will be “reasonable”.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

They are now charging €5 per person to recoup your tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

They are now charging €5 per person to recoup your tax...

thats still pretty reasonable when you consider your taxes could be 40/50e and the airlines charge admin fees at a level that would be way higher

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

daheff wrote: »
    thats still pretty reasonable when you consider your taxes could be 40/50e and the airlines charge admin fees at a level that would be way higher

That's €5 per person, PLUS whatever admin fee is charged by the airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

number_1 wrote: »
    That's €5 per person, PLUS whatever admin fee is charged by the airline.

oh! :eek:

so how & why are they in business? you fill out form for them..they post it to airline, get money back off airline, take their cut, give remainder to you???

why would u use them then???

Advertisement