Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest/farm work

Options
  • 22-10-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Just wondering how easy it is to get (half decent) work that qualifies for the 2nd year whv, would have to do straight away when I get there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/map.aspx

Remember (or know, if you haven't seen it) that specified work for the 2nd visa covers a number of different jobs in regional areas of the country.

Harvest work is seasonal, so you'll need to match your location to the time of year you'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

hollysf wrote: »
    Just wondering how easy it is to get (half decent) work that qualifies for the 2nd year whv, would have to do straight away when I get there..

I have mates that are on farms at the minute and to be honest they had a nightmare of a time trying to find somewhere. They even signed up with agencies in Sydney who apparently find you seasonal work and they got one phone call between them over the space of 5 weeks.

That are other things you could do rather than farm work, you just have to work within certain area codes doesn't always have to be on a farm though. I have a mate that worked in a ski resort 4 hours outside Melbourne and that counted as seasonal work and I have another mate who worked as a waitress in Fremantle and that qualified her.

The trend I am seeing here the minute is that one year WHV holders who are only staying in Sydney for a few weeks end up staying here for the year and then freaking out 3-4 months before their visa ends cause they have 88 days seasonal work to do to get a 2nd year visa and cause they have seen fookall of Oz!.

So if you definitely planning on staying 2 years (make that decision before you come here), chill out for a couple of weeks, do the seasonal work and get it out of the way that way you have 18-20 months of enjoying yourself and seeing Oz. You will also have a few quid saved from the seasonal work too, so you can chill out for a while after it..

My 2 cents anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I'm going to Australia in 10days time. I'm starting off in Melbourne. I hope 2 do a bit of travelling in November and December then look for work in January maybe sooner than that. What harvest jobs would be best to go for and what locations etc? I'd like to get the 88days over done with asap the way I can enjoy the rest of the year.

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I'm going to Australia in 10days time. I'm starting off in Melbourne. I hope 2 do a bit of travelling in November and December then look for work in January maybe sooner than that. What harvest jobs would be best to go for and what locations etc? I'd like to get the 88days over done with asap the way I can enjoy the rest of the year.

Have a look at Wooly's link

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/map.aspx

Do a search on towns and crops and it will show you all the crops being harvested in January and towns that are harvesting them. Unfortunately it doesn't have many jobs posted on it but its a good start. Your best bet is to ask around the hostels when you get here. January might be a slow month to be honest, bang in the middle of summer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Feelgood wrote: »
    I have another mate who worked as a waitress in Fremantle and that qualified her.

Not true, fremantle is not on the list
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm
    "6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799
    Note: Excludes Perth and surrounding areas. "

Fremantle is 6160

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Not true, fremantle is not on the list
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm
    "6041 to 6044
    6083 to 6084
    6121 to 6126
    6200 to 6799
    Note: Excludes Perth and surrounding areas. "

Fremantle is 6160

My mistake * SOMEWHERE * in Western Australia. I more pointing out the fact that she did waitressing to get her second year visa rather than farm work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Contrary to popular belief waitressing or bar work doesnt qualify IIRC (I still remember the laugh we had when a poster here ranted and raved about "scumbags" lying on their visas to get the 2nd year- it was quite funny when I revealed to him his roadhouse job didnt count, and that he had probably wasted a few months :D )

Presumably your mate was lucky enough not to get checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

What harvest jobs would be best to go for
    the available ones.
    and what locations
    remote and/or regional ones!

This may be less of a surprise to the more literate among us, but specified work actually covers quite a bit more than just harvesting. If you're more construction inclined, you've even more choice. Provided you can find the work, that is!

basically, if you want that 2nd year bad, get out of the cities for 3 or 4 months.

Advertisement