Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De La Salle collage

• 22-10-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

De La salle college have now got a senior rugby schools team, they have won 2 of their matches .the victories were over CBS sexton street Limerick and St clemians college Limerick(37-nil).This is just great news for all rugby supporters, De La salle college with a rugby team .They are made up of boys from the city that play rugby locally, this is a great move forward for De La salle college and fair play to the headmaster for allowing RUGBY to be played in the college

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Bout time they got a rugby team tbh. When I was there anyone who wanted to play rugby ended up playing for Waterpark, Br Damien wanted nothing to do with a rugby team. We played it for P.E. once or twice but they stopped it when of the lads broke his wrist. From what I heard, before they even played their first match there was a broken arm and two broken legs just from training! :P
    Also, *college. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

We played it during P.E. and number of times, each time resulting in someone getting an injury. Someone go their head stood on and ripped open the scalp, another got whiplash from a rough tackle!

But still, nice to see DLS with a rugby team, presumably of players who know how to play unlike us in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

DLS had regular rugby coaching in the mid 90's with lots more taking part than across the road in Waterpark. For whatever reason the school stopped it.

BTW rugby is not something id consider a PE sport, people need to know what there doing, lots of injuries come from clumbsyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

DLS had regular rugby coaching in the mid 90's with lots more taking part than across the road in Waterpark. For whatever reason the school stopped it.

BTW rugby is not something id consider a PE sport, people need to know what there doing, lots of injuries come from clumbsyness.

Exactly. Too many rules and always those either too fond of or afraid of a tackle. I remember one of the lads was an absolute speed merchant regularly winning gold medals in athletics. He got in for about 12 trys one day but spiked the ball American football style each time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My son plays rugby as do a number of his friends for Waterpark Rugby Club and they attend DLS so there are plenty of boys who've been playing it for years and know how to play as they should for their age.

One of the teachers is a former Munster player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

They should do boxing instead. The only Olympic sport we can win medals in :D

John O Neill coaching them?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

Waterpark under 17's where unbeaten last year they won the all- Ireland competition U17
    the under 19's where munster chapions
    did'nt Waterford city win some competition lately
    with that of pool of players, thing are looking good for the game of rugby in waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I broke my wrist playing rugby there during Joe Spunks time

1971 wrote: »
    Waterpark under 17's where unbeaten last year they won the all- Ireland competition U17
    with that of pool of players, thing are looking good for the game of rugby in waterford.

Great and all that achievement is, schools rugby is where its at quality wise. Till we have a school doin half decent in the senior cup we wont be getting anywhere. So best of luck to DLS

• Advertisement

My son said DLS have someone in to coach them and that a few teachers are involved as well, Miss Morrissey is one of them, he said she used to play.

He fractured his wrist at training a few years ago, he also fractured 3 bones in his foot running across the green after he stumbled and another time he fractured 2 bones in his little finger after lying down on his skateboard went over a speed bump and the wheel came down on his finger.

1971 wrote: »

I heard the U19's were denied a chance to proceed to the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

wellboy76 wrote: »
    I broke my wrist playing rugby there during Joe Spunks time

I also broke my wrist playing rugby for De La Salle during Joe Columba's tenure.

Are we the same person? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Great to see this!! Br. damo held them back long enough he was afraid he might lose a couple of hurlers to the sport, we had some great rugby players from dls when i was playing underage for park its a shame they never got the chance to play hopefuly future teams make the wait worth while schools rugby is where all the money is and we need a strong schools team to bring waterford along best of luck lads

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

deisemum wrote: »
    I heard the U19's were denied a chance to proceed to the All-Ireland.

Something to do with the leinster rugby i believe.

waterpark under 21's beaten by bohs of Limerick today (very disapointing game)

waterpark under 19's playing tomorrow @ 12 o clock

Advertisement