Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with a Springer Spaniel pup

Options
  • 22-10-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 month old Springer and want to get him accompanying me on regular runs but am conscious that doing too much too soon may be detrimental to his long term health - hip damage was mentioned as a risk!! Anyone any advice on when he might be ready for regular runs, or the type of limits that I should put on our current runs?

He joined me on a 3 mile run earlier on this week and showed no signs of getting tired over the 22ish minutes. All advice and suggestions will be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

5 minutes per month of age (walking) is recommended for pups - so your guy should be getting about 20 mins in total per day of walks. Playing with them and training/games that include mind work are a brilliant way to tire them out.

Running young pups puts is too high impact on their joints and can cause long term health issues. May be a good idea to shelve the runs for at least another few months, until he is out of the rapid growing phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Definitely DON'T overwork a puppy because it's no fun when they have problems with their legs - for you or the poor puppy!!! Our guy has problems due to a deformity (from the growth plates closing too soon on one side so curved bones) and we're back to the vets every month or so with complications from it. Luckily we stuck to 5 mins per month of age - I hate to think what state he'd be in if had of over worked him when he was younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Puppies should not be going on 3 mile runs!!

The rule is about 5 mins per month of age, so at 4 months thats a total of 20 mins per day, but not 20 mins of non stop running.

Puppies joints are still growing up until they are a year or more, so they should not be put through any vigarous exercise until their bones have fully matured.
    This type of vigarous exercise can do lasting damage to a pups body so please be very careful on what way you are exercising the pup until they are fully mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Thanks for the advice guys - will hang up the runners until next year. May have been walking a little too long also misinterpreting that boundless energy :o Really glad I asked the question,.
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

lecheile wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys - will hang up the runners until next year. May have been walking a little too long also misinterpreting that boundless energy :o Really glad I asked the question,.
    thanks again.

Try splitting up the walks into 2 or 3 sessions into only one. Even though its not as long it means the pup is getting out a few times a day which will tire them out mentally as well.
    Theres nothing wrong with playing games in the garden and in the house as well as your walks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement