Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm pregnant now what??

• 22-10-2010 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I just had many positive pregnancy test results so tell me what is my next move
    Why lies ahead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Find out if its Jack's or Ricky's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Decide where and how you want to give birth and get booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Book the hospital, now, especially if going private, there are a few threads discussing the pro's and con's of public vs private maternity care on the forum.

Go to the doctor to get it confirmed and to fill in the combined care form.

Start saving :o:p

Relax and enjoy the next nine months.

Buy baby stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Buy baby stuff.

I agree with the rest of the advice but not this. Much too early to be buying anything. There is very little that needs to be bought until you're acking your hospital bag. Also, as your GP is likely to tell you, there are a lot of things that can go wrong in the first trimester so it is best to wait until you're out the other end of it.

What you do need to do is take good care of yourself, eat well, get as much sleep as you can and avoid stress.

Congrats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Leave it a few days to a week to go to the GP. Their tests aren't as sensitive as over the counter ones and they may give you a negative result which will send your head spinning and leave you doudting yourself and the pregnancy.

Definately book a hospital though. They do not require conformation from a GP before you book in.

Congratulations and enjoy the journey ahead :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

Jeramey kyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Agree with most others here, when I found out I waited a week then went to my GP to get the ball rolling, came home that day and booked myself in for first visit to my chosen maternity hospital.............Is this a good or bad thing for you that you are pregnant?? Hard to tell from your initial post.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Squiggler wrote: »
    I agree with the rest of the advice but not this. Much too early to be buying anything. There is very little that needs to be bought until you're acking your hospital bag. Also, as your GP is likely to tell you, there are a lot of things that can go wrong in the first trimester so it is best to wait until you're out the other end of it.

What you do need to do is take good care of yourself, eat well, get as much sleep as you can and avoid stress.

Congrats :)

Sorry! Was meant as a general nine month forecast, not just the early days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I found out literally the day my period was due but didn't go to the doctor for 2 weeks as I'd read here and on other forums that the docs tests might not give a positive result if it's too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Before you go and confirm it, have a few days to be looking into the various doctors you can choose if ur going private/semi private, the hospital websites have names etc and then just google them and you will find loads of thread etc which i found very helpful as didnt have anyone to ask. also then when u do go to your gp they may recommend someone etc. Holles st gave me my first scan appointment at 20 weeks when i booked at 5 weeks, so it is quite busy, so id say after uve been to your gp (id go around 5 weeks) then get straight on the phone to them. Between the gp and the hospital they will explain what appointments you need and make it all a bit clearer :)
    Then stop worrying about it all and just be smug and happy with the loveliest secret you could ever have! Im chuffed for ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I found out literally the day my period was due but didn't go to the doctor for 2 weeks as I'd read here and on other forums that the docs tests might not give a positive result if it's too early.

My doc didn't even do a test :D He told me there's no such thing as a false positive test so just did a general check of BP etc and sent me on me way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭cinderella2010

Well I went to doc and he didn't do test either - said 8 positives was enough of a confirmation - he told me to come back again in a few weeks but that was all - no blood pressure, weight nothing

I am going public as advised by GP
    does the GP make the appointment for 12 scan or what happens

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You might not get a 12 week scan going public,prob just the one at 20-24 weeks.
    Did you talk to him about hospitals?normally you ring and book your choosen hospital yourself then they book your scan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭cinderella2010

Well due to my location I only have a choice of one hospital -

He said my first appointment will be for approx 12 weeks and they will scan to make sure all is ok - I am only going on what he says

I suppose I will ask again when I go back in a few weeks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can ring the hospital or gp surgery to check.
    The longer you leave it the longer it will be before you have an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 neillcm

I'm can second Moonbeam on that....

I phoned the hospital on the day I left the doctors surgery (4weeks 2 days pg) and was told to send an email instead. So, I sent off my email with a scanned copy of the GP's letter and all my details attached - sure all my work was done.

I had arranged a private 8week scan, where I found out I was expecting twins. Hadn't heard a peep from the hospital in the mean time but assumed they were just busy so gave them the benefit of the doubt... After the scan though thought it best to ring up and double check. When I got through they had nothing on file for me!!! Good job I rang again! Luckily because of the twins and an underlyig medical issue I got an appointment within two weeks but I'd hate to think how long I'd be waiting if I was only expecting the one and in tipp topp health!!!

I know my case probably isn't the norm but really the sooner the better you get on to your hospital!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hi, Im new to all this and have never posted before but spent hours here reading over last 2 nights...

had 4 positive tests last wk & due to irregular cycles we had no idea how far along we were ( might be as far as 11 wks)... Doc suggested a Dating scan which we had today and they think around 5wks. There was very little to see and basically only a little black blob and what they thought was a 'yoke'... has anyone else had a scan at 5wks? Is this normal? They said come back to the EPU in 2/3wks time to get a better scan...

Im a little perplexed as I thought they would say for definate how far along I am and also that I might see a little more than a black little blob...

I hope everything is ok...

sorry for babbling... just mystified. :confused:

Would love to hear from others who may have had a scan at 5wk....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hi Quin, if you are about 5 weeks, that all sounds normal. There's a good link below to show you what to expect at early scans:

http://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html#week5

From people I know who've had scans, it's quite normal not to be able to see a heartbeat until week 7. If they detected the yolk sac at 5 weeks that's a good sign. Various factors can affect how visible things are (apart from your actual dates) like how full your bladder is, your body weight, where the embryo has implanted etc.

Really at this stage, all you can do is wait and see.

Hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Thanks Cat,
    Great site! Fascinating to see it and makes me a little happier as it seems normal! Im super excited and cant wait to tell people! Will have to try get through various christmas nights out with very observant friends aaaahhhhhh! Dont know how Im going to manage it as Im usually the one looking for 'aw we'll have ONE more!'
    I think they're going to cop straight away!

Thanks again!

Advertisement