Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slippy commute home

• 22-10-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Made it home. Just about.
    Been cycling in and out of work from Cabinteely to city centre via Rock rd for 5 years. This is the first time I ever came off the bike. And I came off 3 times!
    Someone tell me the roads were very slick.
    Granted I am on a road bike with 23mm conti slicks, but I had to take to the path half way home, was too dangerous.
    Anyone else have issues tonight?
    Tyres are only a fortnight old by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Just saw this which probably explains....

Last Updated: 22/10/2010 18:51:39

Dublin Summary Report

** A heavy evening in Dublin this rush hour.** *MAIN TRAFFIC* * A 2-car crash is blocking Church St inbound by the North King St jct. Heavy on approach – motorists should avoid the area. * Delays on the M50 southbound from after J13 Ballinteer to the M50/M11 merge. A collision at J14 is adding to delays. Heavy northbound on the M50 from J9 Red Cow to J7 Lucan. * Reports of a fuel spill from the Merrion Gates to the Bellevue Ave jct on the Rock Rd. Gardai are at the scene. Drive with extra care in the area. * Heavy outbound from the Drumcondra Rd/Clonliffe Rd jct right through to the N1/Swords Rd at the Whitehall Flyover. Delays then, on the M1 northbound from Port Tunnel to J2 Dublin Airport. * Slow on the N11 outbound at Fosters. The Merrion Rd is slow outbound at St Vincent’s Hospital. * The North Quays are slow from Wolfe Tone Quay to Arran Quay. * Slow from Macken St onto Samuel Beckett Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Cheers mate.
    Explains it alright.
    Was worried I got bad tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

speaking of bad tyres one of mine caused a blowout on the way home. Big bang when I was going at 30km on the straight. When I pulled in I and took the tyre off the bead seems to have come away from the tyre in a nice clean line. It looks like a fault as I hadn't hit anything and the rim is perfect. I had put them on over 1100km ago so it's unlikely to have been bad seating. I just about made it home with the spare tube. It's to the bike shop tomorrow to see if I can get any redress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Watching fixies on the way home from town. Suicidal bloody hipsters. I know people would disagree but you wont convince me that that is in any way safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

trihead wrote: »
    Just saw this which probably explains....

Last Updated: 22/10/2010 18:51:39

Dublin Summary Report

** A heavy evening in Dublin this rush hour.** *MAIN TRAFFIC* * A 2-car crash is blocking Church St inbound by the North King St jct. Heavy on approach – motorists should avoid the area. * Delays on the M50 southbound from after J13 Ballinteer to the M50/M11 merge. A collision at J14 is adding to delays. Heavy northbound on the M50 from J9 Red Cow to J7 Lucan. * Reports of a fuel spill from the Merrion Gates to the Bellevue Ave jct on the Rock Rd. Gardai are at the scene. Drive with extra care in the area. * Heavy outbound from the Drumcondra Rd/Clonliffe Rd jct right through to the N1/Swords Rd at the Whitehall Flyover. Delays then, on the M1 northbound from Port Tunnel to J2 Dublin Airport. * Slow on the N11 outbound at Fosters. The Merrion Rd is slow outbound at St Vincent’s Hospital. * The North Quays are slow from Wolfe Tone Quay to Arran Quay. * Slow from Macken St onto Samuel Beckett Bridge.
    Interesting. I saw the Gardai about, but I had no idea what for.

I have GP4000's and was was chugging along at 40kmh+ along there so I'm pretty impressed that they kept perfect grip considering the above.

• Advertisement

I have conti ultra sports. Cheapish. Maybe too cheap? Were you cycling in the wet about 6pm or earlier in the dry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

A bit after 7 in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Blowfish wrote: »
    Interesting. I saw the Gardai about, but I had no idea what for.

I have GP4000's and was was chugging along at 40kmh+ along there so I'm pretty impressed that they kept perfect grip considering the above.

i have gp4000s too, that was me overtaking you ;)

yeah I popped the foot out a couple of times inside traffic it felt treacherous and a dick on a motorbike undertook me just after merrion as I was avoiding the deadly yellow lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I had a wee slip off a ramp on the way home. Back wheel slid out sideways, thank goodness it wasn't the front wheel. It's probably just the new rain (and leaves?) on a road that has been basically dry for quite a while. I've never slipped on that ramp before.

Take care.

Just thinking I had a slight buckle in front wheel due to breaking a spoke on the way in to work. Probably didnt help right?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Watching fixies on the way home from town. Suicidal bloody hipsters. I know people would disagree but you wont convince me that that is in any way safe.
    In what way is not having a choice of gears or a freewheel unsafe? On-topic with the thread title, you've much better feedback and control on dodgy surfaces, Sheldon Brown puts it well:
    Fixed gear gives you a very direct feel for traction conditions on slippery surfaces. This makes them particularly suitable for riding in rainy or icy conditions.

This same feel for traction will help you learn exactly how hard you can apply your front brake without quite lifting the rear off the ground. Most fixed-gear riders only use a front brake--a rear brake is quite unnecessary on a fixed-gear machine.

Because you are more solidly connected to the bike, you have better control of it in bumpy conditions or in difficult corners.

On any road bike, the rider must learn to un-weight the saddle to ride over bumps. Most cyclists coast to do this. A fixed-gear rider will learn to "post" over bumps without breaking stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

How is it in any way less safe to ride a fixie than a single speed/bike with gears, or have you just got a silly bee in your bonnet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

garlad wrote: »
    Granted I am on a road bike with 23mm conti slicks,

These are normally slippy for the first few days (depending on use), I had the same, they lose it after the initial shine is worn off the tyres, I got a warning about it when I bought them.

Advertisement