Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing a house

• 22-10-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what to seal various holes in a house. Have some gaps where drains exit through the wall, other gaps around window frames. Do I use silicone or is there something specifically for the job?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Expanding foam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I was gonna say does anyone know anything other than expanding foam. Hate the stuff :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I was gonna say does anyone know anything other than expanding foam. Hate the stuff :o

Do it the hard way then,hammer and chisel,cut down some concrete blocks to suit the holes and gaps,set them in with cement/mortar and then plaster/pebble dash back over them to suit the house exterior.

Internally cut out a piece of plaster board to suit and reskim or patch back up with filler and then sand and repaint to suit the house interior.

And if its a cavity wall,with insulation board in between,then dont forget to cut a piece to suit the hole and stick it in the middle to cover the insulation gap.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If the holes arent too big, use Gripfill....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

if your house is white or white dashed, used white sand and cement.

if its just napped plaster and painted, use sand and cement . Both with filling such as bits of blocks.

Paint.

good as new .

• Advertisement
Advertisement