Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivan Yeats views on Donegal on Newstalk FM

• 22-10-2010 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

During the programme, broadcast this morning at 8.30 he slagged off Ballybofey and questioned why anybody would want to live here. He also said that Donegal was costing the country too much money and should be sold to the Brits.

Link - http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/breakfast/listen-back/
    - Friday 22nd October Part 3 / about 9 mins in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

obviousley not enough listeners trying to stir up some controversy, he's not worth the effort imo (as a broadcaster)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

irlpic wrote: »
    During the programme, broadcast this morning at 8.30 he slagged off Ballybofey and questioned why anybody would want to live here. He also said that Donegal was costing the country too much money and should be sold to the Brits.

who the fcuk is ivan yeats Donegal people dont need or want his kind off attitude so he can stay at home and kiss brian cowens ass :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What a complete tosser. I listened to that clip and have to say Im disgusted.

Anyhow the complaints can be sent to breakfast@newstalk.ie

I am just after sending a nice email ;)

Edit/ for some reason the email wont send for me????

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

muffler wrote: »

Edit/ for some reason the email wont send for me????

The show's editor's email is garrett@newstalk.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

The show's editor's email is garrett@newstalk.ie

Garrett isn't he a donegal man himself, as in Garrett Harte son or is it nephew of Paddy Harte ex-TD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Pinch of salf folks. Ivan has an episode like this every week, be it about women or civil servants or Americans or something else.

Don't feed the WUM's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Wouldn't get too worried about it. Newstalk is going down the pan, he's just trying to do a Dunphy on it.

Supposed to have bullied Claire Byrne off the station too.

How exactly is Donegal costing the country a lot? As an outsider here, I've noticed that the county is ignored, underfunded and cast aside by government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

he's not worth the effort
    RMDrive wrote: »
    Don't feed the WUM's.

I have to agree with comments above - he's so desperate for listeners he has to invent controversy.

The adage,
    you should never argue with an idiot because they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience,
    also applies to wind-up merchants (and ex-bookies).

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

well, golly gee,
    it would certainly solve your heating oil and and car tax problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

With such a massive head I thought he would have come up with something better than this. oh well

On a positive note if we did go to the brits we would not have to deal with this enormous bell end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Original plan for partitioning Ireland (aka “the breaking of the Covenant”) included Donegal in the Six Counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

I just listened to it there... stir up a bit of controversy so he can drum up numbers for his show.

People should just do as normal and normal is prob not listening to his dull show. Ignore him and keep listening to the decent radio out there.

Don't give him the publicity he is after.

ach, c'mon, now, we have had a fun evening imagining Donegal being reclaimed. Just imagine all the jobs you could get done cheaper, all the cheaper goods and services, c'mon, the Sainsbury delivery van going out to Portnoo.
    Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Seriously would not take this serious, he's obviously trying humour for once, something he can't muster at all.

Yes Gareth is one of the Hartes from Raphoe, Yates takes a dig at his own production staff in the comments for not being able to provide stuff, but obviously it sound like someone there, probably Gareth quickly provided him with some info quickly on Donegal. Though Yates is quick to riddicule them, wonder how much Shay Given could cost his betting shop in a great save in a football game. He might rate him better then.

He also says Donegal people are nice and gives a dig at Kerry people which is worse.

I suspect he has a point somewhere in there that overbuilding in Ballybofey was silly, but it happened everywhere and we don't figure at the top of ghost estates.

He would do well to spend a little quality programme time on how Donegal was the forgotten County and only made the news in the boom because of the Morris Tribunral, the only one that seemed to actually come to a conclusion, and one of national importance all the same.

He also while trying to be funny in my opinion be littles the opposition to both British Rule and The last EU Treaty that was always in Donegal, one day the country might come to rue voting in the last treaty and wish they had Donegal's guts in rejecting it.

Either way Mr Yates, neither the EU or Britain would be keen to have such a troublesome county who put up with inaction by many Governments and Fine Gael ones too, but started to draw the line in recent years. Maybe you are sore that Donegal never really appreciated your Fine Gael's Party Politics throughout the troubles.

As a political broadcaster/commentator and ex Fine Gael Minister, he does everything to encourage stronger ties with Northern Ireland, looks like we'll just have to keep supporting the British shops in Northern Ireland to help his view along. The only value we get for taxes we pay is the rate of VAT we pay on purchases in the North.

Maybe he's pissed because its likely that in a General Election Fine Gael will only likely get one seat in Donegal North and One in Donegal South, We see now what attitude Fine Gael still have to the Border and Border Counties. We need to get back to independent seats that any government would rely on.

As much as we resent the RTE License Fee, Newstalk will find that the Highest Local Radio Figures are for a Donegal Station. Not much wonder there then.

Get into the spirit of this, folks, think of the Broadband, the heating oil, the cheap cars!
    As an extra bonus, I could get a primary teaching job there without having to learn Irish. Think of the nature study lessons.
    Ivan Yates, you are the man, never mind that ol Hume fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 badboyblake

Ivan Yeats is an Ogar don't bother giving the muppett any attention.
    Donegal rules (I'm from Limerick btw).
    What is it with irish people and this obsession with where people are from?
    The country is the size of a postage stamp who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

He did say Donegal should be cast-off into the Atlantic, i'm all for that. Everyone grab an oar and we could be down around the Caribbean by this time next year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

His muppetry aside, did he say how Donegal gets so much money? I've heard Eamonn Dunphy somethign similar, but he's a haggard old wino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

Used to listen to newstalk every moring, then they extended Ivan Yates' show untill 10 am... just switched stations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

He was being extremely sardonic and a bit tongue in cheek. I had a good chuckle at his comments, people should stop taking themselves so seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

Agree that he wasn't been serious... but isn't that the problem with him? He's about as funny as Enda Kenny, but at least Kenny doesn't try to be funny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

He also said that Donegal was costing the country too much money and should be sold to the Brits.

How much for?

Wouldn't Germans be more interested?

How would Gerry Adams like this with his ouse outside Gortahork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Durnish wrote: »
    Get into the spirit of this, folks, think of the Broadband, the heating oil, the cheap cars!
    As an extra bonus, I could get a primary teaching job there without having to learn Irish. Think of the nature study lessons.
    Ivan Yates, you are the man, never mind that ol Hume fella.

I think Im with you on some of these thoughts Durnish...

If Im ever sick (touch wood), I know where I'll head to

Wow, I see Deputy Ring has picked up on my thoughts as well as NWA. He suggests going the whole hog and handing the three green fields back to HRH with apologies for the mess.

I was wondering if this would bring the Atlantic salmon back, as well as ushering in usable broadband, cheap heating oil, cheap booze and cheap car tax. (an alien reading this board told me these things would be popular with the inhabitants of Donegal)

Advertisement