Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has snakes?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I think there's a member or a mod on here who keeps snakes but I can't remember who...? I know someone trying to rehome a Corn snake....I know nothing about snakes but I'm sure they need an experienced home, or a particular type of home...
    Can a snake owner please get in touch with me for a bit of advice? I wouldn't like to see this snake go to the wrong owner....
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Socket.

Ive kept snakes in the past.What do you need to know?

The main thing with corns is that they dont really need any special lighting/heating as theyre a temperate snake with a range from the southern US to the South of Canada and as such the ordinary Irish home is usually warm enough for them except in the real cold winters where a 10-15 watt bulb or heat mat will keep them cosy.

A secure cage is a must as they are great escape artists--I should know--I lost a couple and found them months later in the house.

Feeding wise depending on the size they`ll take a pinkie mouse right up to an adult once every 7-10 days.

A water bowl should be provided thats large enough to soak in as they may need it if its time to shed.

Substrate is usually bark chippings but no cedar or pine as the fumes can harm them.

Thats all I can think of now but honestly Corns are the ideal snake for a beginner as they really need little or no looking after.

Feel free to ask if you need anymore info.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Thanks for the info Hellrazer.... I have no intention of taking on this snake myself... I'll PM you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have no intention of taking on this snake myself... I'll PM you

Feel free to pop me a pm if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Cheers, just PMed you...:)

Advertisement