Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here actually finish GTA IV???

• 22-10-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

I got to about 75% & gave up. Have to admit it gets a little dull after a certain point. Kept getting sidetracked with the excellent online multi-player mode. Seems an awful lot of people gave up on the single player game.

Well? who's finished it? After 75% what are the tasks/missions like? Is it worth plodding on till the finish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Not me! Gave up before 50%. Anecdotally alot of other people did the same. The DLC is meant to be decent though…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really? Man I must have finished it 3 times now. I admit, there isn't a whole lot of variety to many of the missions, but I still enjoyed it anyway. The difficulty is the main reason to keep going through it I suppose. Actually planning on playing through all the missions (GTA:IV and the 2 DLC episodes) soon.

Some of the DLC missions are great though, with a lot of variety. Particularly The Ballad Of Gay Tony.

Was it just the lack of variety that made you not want to continue? I admit, I didn't play it online that much, but I enjoyed the missions for the large part anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep.. one of the few games I've finished in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

nope got to 80%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Really? Man I must have finished it 3 times now. I admit, there isn't a whole lot of variety to many of the missions, but I still enjoyed it anyway. The difficulty is the main reason to keep going through it I suppose. Actually planning on playing through all the missions (GTA:IV and the 2 DLC episodes) soon.

Some of the DLC missions are great though, with a lot of variety. Particularly The Ballad Of Gay Tony.

Was it just the lack of variety that made you not want to continue? I admit, I didn't play it online that much, but I enjoyed the missions for the large part anyway

I think the game takes a definite turn for the worse after the 60% point. The main story of the game is well finished by that time & it turns into quite silly long missions that are more like game filler than well thought out tasks. Like the developers ran out of ideas?

I suppose all the missions can't be brilliant. I'l finish it some day.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'l finish it some day.:D

May as well. I was about to say that you paid for it so might as well finish it, then I caught a glimpse of my own game collection, so I'll let you off the hook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I played it to 100%. Took me a while though.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I've completed twice. Might try and do it again just for the trophies(need to get them on the profile I've returned to full time) before Black Ops is out in a week and a bit.

Think I previously was 69% on my other profile but gave up after supposedly missing one of the stunt jumps(I was so sure I didn't :( ) and again, supposedly missing a few of those annoying rats with wings :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Yeah, I finished all three chapters 100%

Pigeons are worst part of the game by far.

Main game story is fantastic but a little all over the place with pacing.
    Lost and the damned is as close to perfect as possible.
    Ballad of Gay Tony's missions are just fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I finished the stories alright, don't really fancy running around shooting pidgeons.

• Advertisement

I finished the stories alright, don't really fancy running around shooting pidgeons.

Friend nearly lost his sanity over this mission.:D Took him about a month to find all of them.

Friend nearly lost his sanity over this mission.:D Took him about a month to find all of them.

Did he not use the internet to help him find them?

I didn't mind going around looking for the cars to steal, they were obviously the basis of the treasure maps in Red Dead.

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Did he not use the internet to help him find them?

He did eventually. He had it in his head looking at the maps online was cheating. Sure it would take you months to find all of the pigeons in the city without the maps.:pac:

Fairly easy to find them in real life though.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I've bought the game two years ago and I still have finished it. It's just not as fun as previous GTA games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Played it through to 100%, I was really pissed off with them pigeons by the end!:pac:

I thought the pigeons were easy, the hardest part was the jumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    I thought the pigeons were easy, the hardest part was the jumps.

Pigeons were easy ya but I was fairly sick of them after getting 200 of the little "flying rats". :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I've tried a couple of times but lose interest after the story is over. There's just not enough variety to what's left.
    At least in San Andreas they mixed it up a bit with the horse shoes, photos and tags. As well as all the different race types and schools. It's the only one of the GTAs I got the 100% in.

I think the main reason I stopped playing 4 was Roman. If he was my cousin I'd change my fúckin number. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Fair play to those who finished it. I must have got through 30% of the game. I was too busy behaving like a lunatic instead of completing the missions. It's great in a way that it's almost impossible to complete - like Football Manager. You can go on forever with the latter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Didn't enjoy it, didn't finish it which was twice as disappointing as it's the reason I bought an XBox 360. Gave it another chance with The Lost and the Damned and it did very little for me.

So I played Saints Row 2 instead and loved it. I recently picked up the first Crackdown game too and that's been a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I think I got to about 92% in the original.

For the Lost and Damned, I didn't enjoy it so just did the missions, races, and gang wars. Maybe about 65-70%

For Gay Tony I got to about 90%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Bought it in Xtravision the Friday before Black Ops for €7. I'll play through it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Loved this game cleared it to 100 percent, paid 60 for it when it came and got my money's worth from it but thats the beauty of marmite, you'll love it or hate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Kill 100 pidgeons in GTA:IV, grand...

Ballad of Gay Tony comes out, Kill 100 seagulls.. FCUK YOU Rockstar!!!

Kxiii wrote: »
    I've tried a couple of times but lose interest after the story is over. There's just not enough variety to what's left.
    At least in San Andreas they mixed it up a bit with the horse shoes, photos and tags. As well as all the different race types and schools. It's the only one of the GTAs I got the 100% in.

Agreed, although its a class game, its 2 thirds of a game & not a complete package like VC or san andreas. My interest strained after the main story was over & it became more of a chore every time i switched on the xbox to fumble through some dull missions. Shooting 100 pigeons? Come on FFS developers, try harder.:rolleyes:

San Andreas is still the no. 1 GTA game for me. Hope the next installment is bigger with better characters & a more involving story or i won't be buying. Even though i'l probably buy it anyway. Its a bit of a tradition for me to buy the new gta.

I have about 66% complete, so I think I'll go for the 100%. I even found a new stranger mission last night, so there's still lots to do.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I so wanted platinum for this but just cba'ed to ever play it again/earn those trophies.. the online trophies look more like a pain in the arse than the pigeon malark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Agreed, although its a class game, its 2 thirds of a game & not a complete package like VC or san andreas. My interest strained after the main story was over & it became more of a chore every time i switched on the xbox to fumble through some dull missions. Shooting 100 pigeons? Come on FFS developers, try harder.:rolleyes:

San Andreas is still the no. 1 GTA game for me. Hope the next installment is bigger with better characters & a more involving story or i won't be buying. Even though i'l probably buy it anyway. Its a bit of a tradition for me to buy the new gta.

San Andreas is an amazing game but I've tried to play it again lately and really struggle with the dated graphics and the awkward controls. I'm really hoping for an HD remake with the GTA4 controls.

Is anyone still playing multiplayer on GTA4? I really enjoyed it but stopped a year or so ago. But RDR online has got me in the mood to start destroying Liberty City again....

Advertisement