Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Term?

• 22-10-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Don't worry I'm definitely chilling this weekend :P

I'm just wondering what's the plans for mid-term, study or non-study? Figure it'll keep me well motivated to see how much others are doing :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Dunno about you lot, but im going to cork for a 5 day bender. wuhay! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Thats the first time my username's come up in a thread I've started :P

I actually can't wait to go out tomorrow night, I haven't been out in months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I'm going to study..! :p Lazed around all through 5th year so need to start back getting 5th year stuff done!

Plan is:
    Business - Unit 3 and half of 4
    Physics - Waves and Sound and Light
    Irish - 1 poem, 1 prós, 1 aiste
    English - Robert Frost and Adrienne Rich
    Maths - Trigonometry and Differentiation
    French - Essay phrases
    Applied Maths - Q1, 6 and 8 from papers

Lets hope I stick to it!

And then plans for Saturday and Sunday week.. ;) A gal has to have some fun! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

wayhey wrote: »
    Thats the first time my username's come up in a thread I've started :P

I actually can't wait to go out tomorrow night, I haven't been out in months...
    :eek: i didnt even look at your username WTF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

the amount of homework I got, I'll be surprised if I've time to breathe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

the amount of homework I got, I'll be surprised if I've time to breathe.

I've been like that the past few weeks... was actually up til 12 and getting up at 6 to finish stuff, twas craaaaaaaaazy. But finally back into the swing of it. Hang in there soccy, I've mountains to do too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've got a fun week up ahead of me :(

About 12 pages worth of English essays
    6 Maths exam questions
    2 French Essays
    Pretty much my entire Engineering brief

And there's what I need to study =/
    Business - A lot of topics. Let's leave it at that.
    Maths - Integration, Circle, Matrices, Differentiation, Trigonometry
    English - Hamlet , Kavanagh
    French - Reading Comprehension practice
    Irish - An Triail

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Going to try and do 3 hours a day but I know I haven't a balls notion of keeping to my plan. I'll just try and do as much as possible I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sh4128

new poster here.. teachers gave us a small bit of homework got it all done 2nite but thats not the end my mum has signed me up for supervised study 9-4 everyday and yes that includes saturday and bank holidays and on sundays i work! fun times ahead week off ..yeah rite!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Have exams the week I get back from midterm, so I'm planning to do a good bit of study. Take the weekend off, all week, then take Sunday off. Just like another week of school I suppose :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭soup1

i was out last night and im goin to galway on monday for a few nights out! i got 545 last year and i went on a massive bender this time last year. . .so dont be stuck inside all midterm studying. .. they give you a break for a reason. ..enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I have enough homework to keep me going for two weeks, never mind one! Did three hours last night, and three hours this morning and haven't even made a dent in what I have to do. I guess it's sort of revision in itself, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Starting study on Monday. My plans:

Do all the Algebra questions in the papers based on the first 3 chapters in the book.
    Do Applied maths questions from the papers until I finally start getting them right
    Relearn all my French and Irish Tenses
    Do a tonne of exam questions in Chemistry, Biology and especially physics.
    I have no idea how to study for English aside from learning a few quotes, so I think I'll do that.

Basically I want all of this half terms work perfect before I start the rest of the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Basically going to do sweet damn all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

well I plan to relax a good bit and get as much work done as I can, teachers haven given us quite a lot of homework so il be working on covering that first so doubt i'll get much study done. Gonna do a bit of sorting though, have to sort my folders and stuff like that out for subjects cause got a bit messy over the past few weeks:rolleyes:
    taking this weekend off and its being great, prob try and face the books monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

starting monday

i'm going to go do my outline plan for history and an essay or two
    do a couple of maths questions
    do some french essays, a letter and a comprehension
    practice accounting ratios and look over management accounting
    study business and do some of the questions in the book and exam papers
    maybe some english revision too if i get time

and then il do some halloween stuff next sunday and go see some movies during the week if i find time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

Arghh wasn't planning on any but now i'll do some seeing as everyone else is :P

English- Sylvia Plath and Act I Hamlet
    Maths- Exam Q's. Paper 1 Q 1&2 and Paper 2 Q2
    French- Tenses and phrases on The Struggle of Adolescents
    Music- Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky (Really need to catch up)
    Business- Unit 1,2,3.. I HATE UNIT 2 with all the acts >:(
    Geography- Plate Tectonics, The Earth, Volcanoes and Topic 1-5 Geoecology
    Irish- 2 poems and a Pros

:( yey....

I'm not starting until tomorrow though....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm not starting until tomorrow though....

Why not? Start today - if you leave it too long, it might never get done. It reminds of overweight people who say they will be starting a strict exercise and diet regime in 2 weeks!

Even doing a small bit today would ease the pressure for tomorrow. Nothing like the feeling of 'I have a whole day to do all that' and it ends up at 10.50pm and you still have loads to do!

On a separate note, you all seem to have good plans. What worked for me last year (when I was doing my LC) was to make plans like

App Maths: 2007: Q3,5,10,6,1,2
    Geography: 2009: Soil, 2007: Biomes questions
    Maths: Differentiation, Integration
    Accounting: 2007 Company Final a/cs
    English: Any two reading comprehensions in last 5 years

That list above contains a lot of work but is manageable. Note you don't have to do it all in one go. I could do two applied maths questions, do a reading comprehension, do a few exercises in maths, get writing my geography essay, take a break, do an accounting question, do the other reading comoprehension, more exercises in maths, the remainder of the applied maths questions, dinner time!, the other geography essay - and bravo I'm done!

What worked for me (which may not be what works for you) is making plans in 'list' form but not in timetable form. Writing 12-12.50 Geography, 1-1.50 Accounting, ........ just never worked for me.

When I had my list, this is the order I would usually do it in. I would start with the easiest thing (or the thing I most enjoyed) - in order to get me to sit down and do it. Once I had that finished, I would attempt the hardest thing (your concentration is greatest here!), then eventually moving into less taxing work. So by the end of the day, when you are tired, you are not trying to do something overly-complicated and get frustrated.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing things over the mid-term. I didn't do much over the mid-term at all, mainly due to laziness and procrastination. I'm not saying do nothing, but take it easy. It's the last proper break you will get in a while. Christmas holidays may be spent revising for the pres, and Easter Holidays will be spent revising for the orals!

Maybe doing some academic related work without actually studying would be better. E.g. organise all your notes into a folder, clean up your study area, find a year planner calender and put it on your wall, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Starting study on Monday. My plans:

Do all the Algebra questions in the papers based on the first 3 chapters in the book.
    Do Applied maths questions from the papers until I finally start getting them right
    Relearn all my French and Irish Tenses
    Do a tonne of exam questions in Chemistry, Biology and especially physics.
    I have no idea how to study for English aside from learning a few quotes, so I think I'll do that.

Basically I want all of this half terms work perfect before I start the rest of the term.

Wait a second there, I thought you were fifth year? Maybe I'm wrong but if you are then that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's fifth year. It's midterm. Why the he'll would you study?? You probably have done barely any of any course and you'll have forgotten all that by two years time anyway.. I don't understand some fifth years really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Being over zealous with study in fifth year isn't a good idea. It's great that you want to do well and are studying throughout fifth year but do too much and you'll be burned out come the end of sixth year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

wayhey wrote: »
    I've been like that the past few weeks... was actually up til 12 and getting up at 6 to finish stuff, twas craaaaaaaaazy. But finally back into the swing of it. Hang in there soccy, I've mountains to do too :)

we can cope together :o
    got a bulk of homework done yesterday which is good. I have a comparative still left to do though and I just can't get my head around it. Bleh. I'm grand when it comes to doing english essays but this is just a mess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Doing nothing till Wednesday. I think I might as well take a break while I can because I'll have to study during x mas and february midterm. :( Might try and get up early and have everything done by 2 or 3 on the days I do work so I have the rest of the day free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Its too early for 3 or 4 hours study. There really is no point in it now, not this early anyhow. After Christmas maybe but 3 or 4 hours is a bit much IMO. I did my leaving cert last year and I found that a small lot of cramming helped considerably. Don't bank on cramming 'cos it is hard unless you've been doing all your life :o (460 points wasn't too bad for me though :) )

Try to get your homework out of the way as soon as possible. Then perhaps do an hour of study per day if you can. You still have 8 months till your exams remember. The Leaving cert is over hyped way too much. DON'T STRESS IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Business- Unit 1,2,3.. I HATE UNIT 2 with all the acts >:(

Is that not unit one? :\ unit 2 is like a page long

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

sat down today for 3 hours..a good start i think!..got plenty of work to do but basically plan to start looking over last years stuff aswell...theres no point killing yourself studying at this stage..you'll be burnt out by the time the exams come round if u do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I have an English essay to do and some Irish notes to photocopy. How will I manage? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

ruadhan wrote: »
    Wait a second there, I thought you were fifth year? Maybe I'm wrong but if you are then that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's fifth year. It's midterm. Why the he'll would you study?? You probably have done barely any of any course and you'll have forgotten all that by two years time anyway.. I don't understand some fifth years really..

Christmas Exams!

We've done loads of stuff and I'm on a roll of above 90% on everything and I've never been doing this well before (I was a crap B kind of student at JC) and I'd like to keep it that way! :P Its only 2.5hrs a day, and I'm up by 9 (god I just sound more exciting by the minute) so I'm done by 11 or 12. I'd rather do loads than do nothing and then spend the midterm worrying that my leaving cert is now screwed and I am never getting into medicine (I'm that kind of person, I panic over everything). I'm just worried that I'm a lazy person by nature and if I coast and do nothing I could still get Bs, and I don't want to get into that habit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

well..........
    English: comparative,Robert frost, Gerard Manley Hopkins and comprehension part B.
    Maths: 6 exam questions (all revision)
    Accounting: Service accounts and Tabular accounts ( thats not to bad!)
    Biology: 7 long questions and 10 short questions plus 15 page ecology write up!
    French: 2 comprehensions, document for the oral and test on all vocab since fifth year
    Chemistry: bout 4 questions (which isn't bad for chemistry!)

That just homework! Mid term what mid term?!

But hey suppose that's what 6th year!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I got a bit of homework but not a lot, so I am going to do that and one chapter of biology and economics. It's not much, but still something. I'm relaxing this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Repeating and I havent even started...
    The Plan:

Biology: The Cell, Cell continuity, Enzymes + Papers

History: Northern Ireland Case Studies
    Hitler Foreign Policy
    Start Home Rule Crisis

English: WH quotes

Ag Science: Potatoes and other crops

French: Grammar and comprehensions

Art: Sketch I guess