Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy - Too late to start

• 22-10-2010 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Ok so I do 6 subjects in school plus Applied Maths outside.

My strengths lie in maths and logical type subjects. My teachers have predicted I'll get a C1 and C2 in English and French (I'm not counting Irish). My dad is an accountant so he could teach me but could I do the course between now and June and get at least a B2?

What is the course like and how much work would be involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

Yes. You might have to rush through a few topics, but then again your father is an accountant and that would give you a HUGE advantage as you can get grinds every day and cover the topics in detail. The mid term break has just begun and you can devote a few hours each day to covering the main concepts. Your strengths lie in maths and logic, so you're half-way there already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

AKS wrote: »
    Yes. You might have to rush through a few topics, but then again your father is an accountant and that would give you a HUGE advantage as you can get grinds every day and cover the topics in detail. The mid term break has just begun and you can devote a few hours each day to covering the main concepts. Your strengths lie in maths and logic, so you're half-way there already.

Thanks..!

I was looking at the paper and you only answer 4 questions? How many topics would you have to cover to be able answer 4 questions though?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AKS

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Thanks..!

I was looking at the paper and you only answer 4 questions? How many topics would you have to cover to be able answer 4 questions though?
    Can't remember, to be honest, but my estimate would be over 15. However, some are easier than others. For example financial interpretation involves learning off 20-30 different ratio/percentage calculations and then using them to uncover various pieces of information from a given Balance Sheet. And those calculations make logical sense. And that's a guaranteed question. Some questions are quite small, like Tabular Statements ( basically restructuring a balance sheet onto a horizontal layout ). Others however, are quite complicated. The key is to have a wide understanding of the double entry system ( which I find the most difficult > hence struggle at accountancy). If you have a good grasp of it, you can apply it to most questions and they become much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

Oh its most definately possible. Get a good grind teacher or extra subject teacher. You cant teach youreself really but once you have the skills you dont forget them easily. Btw what county are you in. I can recommend some people maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Ok, honestly do not even bother. Starting any course this late is an extremely bad idea, just work at the others really rather than wasting so much extra time on subjects outside school. Accounting is a very practible subject so it's not just like a theory subject where you can just learn it all in a fee months. For accounting you literally need to just do the questions over and over until you get them. It is actually quite a long course and I don't know how or why someone would suggest you to do it now. The amount of time you would need to spend on it would destroy all your other grades and you would be much better off getting a C in a language or even spending extra time at that to get a B.
    That said you do sound like someone who would be good at accounting if you had done it since fifth year. Its one of my best subjects but honestly the exam is one of the most time strapped one by far, you really need the experience of doing all the things over and over until you get really good and quick at them.
    Sorry for being negative but would it really be impossible for you to just spend an extra half hour a night on French rather than two hours a night on accounting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement