Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 3w LED GU10s wont fit.....help?

Options
  • 22-10-2010 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,just got 6 of these Philips dimmable 3W GU10 down lighter bulbs.

They are exactly the same size and width as a normal 50W GU10,but for some godly unknown reason,the Philips 3W will not fit propperly into the chrome housing,and I cant put the retaining clip back in.

Can someone tell me what is the best thing to do?

Do I try and grind/ream out the chrome housing,or do I need to get different chrome housings?

Please see pics below.

P.S-The light quality off these is unreal and they dim down to absolutely nothing,but they do make a buzzing noise as you dim them down,is that normal???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

could be bad luck

they may work with a different gu-10 fitting

how much bulbs cost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »
    could be bad luck

they may work with a different gu-10 fitting

how much bulbs cost?

I tried several of the chrome housings in various parts of the house and I also tried 3 differrnt Philips bulbs and they would not sit fully into the housing,so I couldnt fit the retaining clip.:mad:

Cost each was 11 euro plus vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i mean a different type of gu-10 fitting

are they brighter than the regular 3watts

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

they might fit with a differant retaining clip. the circular ring type with the two little kinks.
    http://www.delightful-uk.com/ekmps/shops/kennedyelec/images/12v-mr16-light-downlight-lamp-retaining-c-clip-644-p.jpg

M cebee wrote: »
    i mean a different type of gu-10 fitting

are they brighter than the regular 3watts

Oh right,and yes,they are brighter than regular 3W,well myself and herself think so anyway.

• Advertisement

they might fit with a differant retaining clip. the circular ring type with the two little kinks.
    http://www.delightful-uk.com/ekmps/shops/kennedyelec/images/12v-mr16-light-downlight-lamp-retaining-c-clip-644-p.jpg

Thats what I have,standard wire clip for normal 50w GU10,s

If you look at the pics that I originally posted above,you can see that the Philips 3W bulb will not sit into the chrome housing enough to get the clip in place.

Its only about 1mm more space that is needed for the Philips bulb to fit in propperly,but it may aswell be a mile off,as I cant fit the retaining clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Thanks for that.

Is it normal for the all these LED bulbs to buzz when they are dimmed down??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats what I have,standard wire clip for normal 50w GU10,s

If you look at the pics that I originally posted above,you can see that the Philips 3W bulb will not sit into the chrome housing enough to get the clip in place.

Its only about 1mm more space that is needed for the Philips bulb to fit in propperly,but it may aswell be a mile off,as I cant fit the retaining clip.

sorry ,my bad. the outer black edge of the lamp looks like a certain type of retaing clip used in some downlighters. ive come across this before with cfl bulbs too and the enclosed spring loaded gu-10 fittings were the answer. also some of the robus low voltage frames accomadate the chunkier lamps.

sorry ,my bad. the outer black edge of the lamp looks like a certain type of retaing clip used in some downlighters. ive come across this before with cfl bulbs too and the enclosed spring loaded gu-10 fittings were the answer. also some of the robus low voltage frames accomadate the chunkier lamps.

The plastic casing on the Philips 3W LED seems to be fairly chunky/robust indeed,I can see a slight mark on the side of 1 of the bulbs I have here with me,where it was obviuosly rubbing off the chrome housing,as I was trying to fit it in.

Litterly 1mm more width on the chrome housing and there would be no problems.

The normal 50w GU10 and even the Robus 3W 48 cluster LED bulbs fit perfectly,its just the Philips LED bulb that will not fit fully in.:mad:

• Advertisement

Problem solved.
    1 down and only 19 more to go.

And all it cost or will cost me is a few hours alone with a ROK 24V cordless drill and a grinding stone/sanding bit.

Only needed around 1mm ground out of the existing chrome fitting.

The normal GU10,s still slot in and now so do the Philips LED bulbs too.And the wire retainer clip slots in perfectly too.:D

Advertisement