Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really need advice

Options
  • 22-10-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm pretty down in the dumps right now - basically I am abroad the minute and have just been let go by the company I was working for - I was there for just 5 weeks and the boss came in yesterday and told me that they had rushed through the interview process and that I wasn't at the level they needed for the role. Essentially, they took me on for a role based on my past experience, but the experience I had for the role was from about 3 years back - not my most recent experience. Hope that makes sense but essentially they said that they had rushed through the interview process (which they did really) and took responsibility for how things turned out.

The advice I'd like to get really I suppose is should I wipe this company from my CV/LinkedIn? I was only there 5 weeks and obviously it didn't turn out well and while it wasn't my fault how it turned out - maybe I could have done things differently, I don't know - I don't want it to reflect badly on me. What do you think - do many people omit companies that they've only worked for for a short while, or where things didn't work out?

Or should I just be upfront about it when speaking to future employers etc - that it didn't work out as I just didn't have the immediate experience to match what they were looking for?? I'm planning to head home soon as I'm not happy where I am anyway...and haven't been since I got here 6 weeks ago...going to head back to Ireland in the next few weeks, look for a job, and start a new part-time course in Jan/Feb 2011 in the field I want to get more experience in.

Thanks for any help/support....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re CV/LinkedIn: Sure'n you've been travelling abroad for six weeks, no need to mention any of the "friends" you happen to have been travelling with. ;););)

Just make sure that you do have enough tourist experiences in the location to be able to talk sensibly to any future recruiter/employer who might happen to have travelled there themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I walked out of a (crap) job after 2 weeks and I never mention it to employers.

Your cv is a list of reasons why you should get a job. Employers may use it to identify gaps (e.g. periods of unemployment) but unless they're barefaced enough to ask whether you omitted a job, there's no obligation for you to disclose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

op again - thanks guys for the words, appreciate it! Shortly afterwards I realised what you both posted - that it's pretty much just like hanging out with a company for a few weeks and counts as travelling ;-) Which is what I'll be doing from now until Christmas - yeah baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

You should leave it off. If it was a company in Ireland you'd be caught out by your P45 but since it is outside the country any other company is unlikely to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yours

must admit it was quite good that this company told you the truth about why it did not work out, and they took responsibility because it didnt work out!! A lot wouldnt.

You could mention it as experience or maybe even a contract/temporary position if this company would agree. You prob did gain some experience while working there also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sometimes things don't work out. Thats life. Being truthful, but selective on you CV is just smart. I'd also suggest don't push anything as a skillset unless your current on it. Its ok to mention something you've done in the past, once its obvious on your CV you haven't done it in 4 years etc. IMO you might be happier, and more successful being the strong for a lesser role, than weak candidate for a higher position.

Advertisement