Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinton lost nuclear codes for several months

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Could be worse. He could have had his GMail hacked or his Wifi stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

It was probably just '1234' anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stop muddying the waters. Whether he lost the nuclear codes is not the issue.
    He got is his penis sucked, let's stick to the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Now that just takes the biscuit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I see good old Bill Clinton lost the codes

Nope, he didn't, it's not his job to carry them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Stop muddying the waters. Whether he lost the nuclear codes is not the issue.
    He got is his penis sucked, let's stick to the issues.

He probably gave the codes away to Monica for a quick ball-gobbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Might as well, I can't see them being much use to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm sure Hillary had them hidden somewhere safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Could be worse. He could have had his GMail hacked or his Wifi stolen.

I think you'll find that that was Jeff_Lebowski!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

phasers wrote: »
    I'm sure Hillary had them hidden somewhere safe

Somewhere she knew he'd never look. Like her vagina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The codes were not lost, they were misplaced along with the WMD's:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

.... and ever since then Presidents have been banned from Vegas weekenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Somewhere she knew he'd never look. Like her vagina.

Hidden away safely, in a dusty old box with cobwebs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

.. up Monica's Vag, along with the cigar and a saxophone reed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The important thing is, really, that Clinton was cool.

He had affairs, he played the saxophone... what more do people want in a president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

phasers wrote: »
    The important thing is, really, that Clinton was cool.

He had affairs, he played the saxophone... what more do people want in a president?

Blackness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

johngalway wrote: »
    Nope, he didn't, it's not his job to carry them.

Apparently it wasn't the launch codes he lost, but the personal identification codes. The launch codes are in the football, but to make sure that the President is in the same place as the football, El Jefe also has a small code card of his own. This is what he allegedly lost.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

If '24' has thought us anything (which it hasnt), its that the codes change every hour so a terrorist would have to get very lucky to find it and arm a nuke within an hour

Apparently it wasn't the launch codes he lost, but the personal identification codes. The launch codes are in the football, but to make sure that the President is in the same place as the football, El Jefe also has a small code card of his own. This is what he allegedly lost.

NTM

Yup, but, it's an aide who carrys those codes, not El Presidente himself. So, the aide lost them. Bubba was busy with other stuff, bombing the former Yugoslavia, getting blown, playing the sax...

Jesus but this new fella is a bore compared to Clinton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Well the “secret unlock code” during the height of the nuclear crises of the Cold War remained constant at 00000000 !!!!
    KeithM89 wrote: »
    It was probably just '1234' anyway...

• Advertisement

Yup, but, it's an aide who carrys those codes, not El Presidente himself. So, the aide lost them.

No, the aide doesn't carry the President's personal identification codes. He carries the football, which contains the launch codes. A launch instruction must both have the appropriate launch code, and the identification verification code to make sure that the person issuing the launch code is actually the President and not someone who just nicked the football, such as the aide going rogue. Call it the bureaucratic equivalent of having two missile launch keys on a missile boat.

[Edit]After looking around, it seems that Carter left his codes in his jacket when he sent it to the dry cleaners

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Call it the bureaucratic equivalent of having two missile launch keys on a missile boat.

Not very snappy though.

No, the aide doesn't carry the President's personal identification codes. He carries the football, which contains the launch codes. A launch instruction must both have the appropriate launch code, and the identification verification code to make sure that the person issuing the launch code is actually the President and not someone who just nicked the football, such as the aide going rogue. Call it the bureaucratic equivalent of having two missile launch keys on a missile boat.

[Edit]After looking around, it seems that Carter left his codes in his jacket when he sent it to the dry cleaners

NTM

;)

In his book "Without Hesitation," the retired Army general writes, "Even though movies may show the President wearing these codes around his neck, it's pretty standard that they are safeguarded by one of his aides, but that aide sticks with him like glue."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/21/shelton.clinton.nuclear.codes/index.html?hpt=T2

;)
    In his book "Without Hesitation," the retired Army general writes, "Even though movies may show the President wearing these codes around his neck, it's pretty standard that they are safeguarded by one of his aides, but that aide sticks with him like glue."

Well, we know Mr Carter evidently liked to keep his in his jacket pocket. Maybe that's why Clinton lost his, he wasn't used to keeping control of it himself.

Secondly, the concept of property accountability in the US military is simple. If you have signed for something, and cannot produce either the item, a sub-hand-receipt, or a turn-in document, you have by definition lost it.

NTM

Well, we know Mr Carter evidently liked to keep his in his jacket pocket. Maybe that's why Clinton lost his, he wasn't used to keeping control of it himself.

Secondly, the concept of property accountability in the US military is simple. If you have signed for something, and cannot produce either the item, a sub-hand-receipt, or a turn-in document, you have by definition lost it.

NTM

So, would whoever lost it, being liable, have to pay to just replace the card, or the entire arsenal? 4k plus (?) warheads effectively clamped :D

So, would whoever lost it, being liable, have to pay to just replace the card, or the entire arsenal? 4k plus (?) warheads effectively clamped :D

Just the card, however much it cost to produce. Probably $7,000 or something, knowing the way the military works. The warheads would not have been on the hand receipt.

For anyone other than the President, however, it would have been a career-ending remark on the OER.

I'm signed for about $12million myself, I've made damned sure I have a document for every single item. The daft thing is that a $1.14m Bradley is secured with a padlock valued at about $10. But that's someone else's problem, he's sub-hand-receipted for it.

Can you imagine signing for a $2bn aircraft carrier? The Change of Command inspection must be horrific.

NTM

Just the card, however much it cost to produce. Probably $7,000 or something, knowing the way the military works. The warheads would not have been on the hand receipt.

For anyone other than the President, however, it would have been a career-ending remark on the OER.

I'm signed for about $12million myself, I've made damned sure I have a document for every single item. The daft thing is that a $1.14m Bradley is secured with a padlock valued at about $10. But that's someone else's problem, he's sub-hand-receipted for it.

Can you imagine signing for a $2bn aircraft carrier? The Change of Command inspection must be horrific.

NTM

I know where you're coming from, but I mean if ya take the Nimitz to Tescos for a litre of milk the morning after a hard night and forget where ya parked... Should ya really have signed for it in the first place!

Advertisement