Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop wont accept credit/laser card for Ticketmaster.

Options
  • 22-10-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Our local music shop here recently stopped taking Credit/Laser card transactions for ticketmaster purchases.
    My Brother went in the other day to buy 4 tickets and was greeted with a sign stuck to the counter informing him of the policy.
    He had to go and find an ATM to get cash.
    I can see this causing problems in the event of people queuing up early in the morning for major concert/event tickets.
    Why would they/Ticketmaster do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

kbell wrote: »
    Our local music shop here recently stopped taking Credit/Laser card transactions for ticketmaster purchases.
    My Brother went in the other day to buy 4 tickets and was greeted with a sign stuck to the counter informing him of the policy.
    He had to go and find an ATM to get cash.
    I can see this causing problems in the event of people queuing up early in the morning for major concert/event tickets.
    Why would they/Ticketmaster do this?

Shops pay a certain amount to have these facilities in place. My guess is that they are cutting-back or in trouble financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

True, but they'll accept cards for everything else, games, cd's, dvd's even expensive Games consoles and accessories.
    Must ask next time I'm in, but was just curious to hear what people on here thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The margins on tickets may be very poor and by accepting cc or laser as payments and it could be wiping out any margin on them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A retailer pays no charges on Laser payments.

yes they do 25c per transaction and 5% on cc transactions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Every retailer pays a different amount on cards. Very few pay 5 percent!

but Laser ain't free, and margins are tight, and the shop doesn't get the money straight away either.

Sorry was quoting what we pay as a business must check cc could be 2.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Are you sure they still take them for everything else?
    I would have thought it was the cost of the terminal. Line rental etc - they're not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Yup, sign clearly says, we don't accept credit/Laser card for ticketmaster purchases..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

RUBBISH. PLEASE show me a bank thats does not charge for laser so I can move straight away.

I had a knob attack me last week for declining his laser card for a three euro lotto. The lotto was worth 18c but the card charges were more than that.

Do the maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

RUBBISH. PLEASE show me a bank thats does not charge for laser so I can move straight away.

I had a knob attack me last week for declining his laser card for a three euro lotto. The lotto was worth 18c but the card charges were more than that.

Do the maths.

Well if you lost say 20c on that transaction and 1000 people only bought the lotto off ya and nothing else it would cost you 200euro. People often pick something else up when there and the margins are quite generous on snack/food items so your winning in the long run.

If that guy was put off by this and stops going to your shop, it would hurt alot more surely. Electronic transactions should be the cheap option since there is no cash in transit, money handling etc but they are not and I don't know why.

No need for the knob to attack ya though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do ticketmaster charge retailers for taking cards from people? If you buy direct from ticketmaster there is a charge for using its card but do they charge music stores etc for allowing customers pay by credit/debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Afaikr Ticketmaster payments go directly to them and are not processed through the shop bank account. There is no credit facilities such as for other goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

so....In summary, a retaailer is perfectly within their rights to refuse a laser payment or enforce a minimum transaction amount ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

s8n wrote: »
    so....In summary, a retaailer is perfectly within their rights to refuse a laser payment or enforce a minimum transaction amount ??
    Of course and they are perfectly entitled to refuse to sell you anything even if its just because they don't like people with batman avatars (unless they discriminate against you as defined by the equal status act 2000)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

s8n wrote: »

Yes - legal tender is offered to cover a debt. Since you have not taken ownership of the goods, there is no debt, and therefore payment does not have to be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Banks charge retailers different amounts for Laser or Credit Card transactions depending on the size of the cash transactions and cash turnover on the machine to name but a few,it's not totally straight forward. Customers take for granted that shop keepers are just being stingy enforcing a minimum purchase but they're totally right to.
    For example,a newsagent may pay anything between 2-4% on CC transactions,where electrical shops or other shops dealing with large cash flows may pay around a per cent.

Advertisement