Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum Joist span for garage

• 22-10-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm thinking of building a garage, roughly 20'x40' with an upstairs in the attic space. My question is would 9x2 span the 20' across for the upstairs be ok or would I have to go heavier? also roughly any idea how much it would cost, cavity wall and sheet metal cladded roof.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

rustynutz wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm thinking of building a garage, roughly 20'x40' with an upstairs in the attic space. My question is would 9x2 span the 20' across for the upstairs be ok or would I have to go heavier? also roughly any idea how much it would cost, cavity wall and sheet metal cladded roof.

I would suggest you get a professional to have a look at your plans, such as an engineer or architect as a 20' span may require more than 400 centers with 9x2s.
    Construction and planning forum lads would be better placed for such a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

That's what I did 10yrs ago. 9" by 2" on 400mm centres. Still feels very solid.
    My garage is around 30 by 20 feet. Any cut-offs I used to make the stairs and work bench.
    No idea on costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

if it was mine . I would be aiming at 300 centers with one RSJ spanning across the center at 90 degrees to the joists..

But I still would seek professional advise before proceeding .

Advertisement