Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is she too young for me??

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Don't be jealous just because I got there before you!

She wasn't your type anyway....she only had 2 legs.

as opposed to one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kelly1939

ya shes a bit young :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yup, OP think she is a bit too young for you. I go with the age rule of half your age + 7 years. Makes sense, I'm 25, youngest I could go for is 19.5 and oldest is 28.5 according to the calculations!

I'm a bit of an agest myself, I don't like major age gaps. Maybe in late 20's and during the 30's wouldn't be as bad as the age gaps closes more so, but the wide age gap is always there depending on the stage of life each person is in when in the relationship. Think it can affect the relationship big time, ye might want different things, see things different, do things differently, experience different things a lot of that can come into it. When a guy is 20 and a girl is 16 its a big age gap, different say if ye are both in your 20's it might not seem too bad! It's not a big deal to be friends and hang out, but not be too serious until she is say 18 maybe, she bit a little more mature maybe. I wouldn't want you to think you can take advantage of her just 'cause you are older than her!

I wouldn't like it not even when my friends were that age and going out with fellas with that kind of age gap! It's a little different now 'cause we're in our 20's and when they are going out with lads a few years older the age gap isn't as noticeable, I found that more so when hanging out with lads 4 years older than me but would find more of a difference when I hang out with lads 10 years older than me.

Just be careful though, don't rush her into anything she doesn't want to do cause both of you could live to regret it! If sex is on the cards, wait till she is at least 17, she needs to be mature enough to handle it, its more than just physical stuff there is emotional stuff too especially for a girl! Just be aware of that OP. If ye get on well then no reason why ye can't be together, but just don't take the realtionship too seriously don't think many 16 year olds do tbh!

Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RedDevil1878

Once again cheers for all the replies :)

Tbh i think im going to just take it slow with her, get to know her more and find out exactly what she's looking for.

I do like to go drinking with my mates and hit night clubs, so this could be a bit of a problem even doh i know she can get a lend of someone's I.D to come along lol. I still have to talk to her about all this she is currently on holidays so i will when she's home. I will be making it clear that if we are to move on that I would like to meet her parents and let them know who i am and they can judge me. As for myself ill introduce her to my parents to. I reckon a few of my mates will prob rip it out of me for a while but i wouldnt say they would have a problem with it or think im a peado as ppl on this seem to think i am.

As for the ppl who are saying can i not get anyone my own age ? Yes i can as i said my last girlfriend was 19. I didnt set out to find someone 4 years younger than me it just happened. I also would not pressure her into anything or try and rule the relationship.. Just because im older than her does not mean im the one with the answers I would obviously listen to what she has to say.

Anyways we have not had sex and havent discussed doing it. But Ill be honest i reckon it prob will happen eventually if I do continue to see her. But if it does it will be cause she wants to not just because i do. Anyways that wont happen until she's 17, I respect that she's under age and its not a problem not doing it. Im happy enough just hanging out with her for now and getting to know more about her all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A sexual assault does not need to include sex. A fumble could land you in jail if she decided to make a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

quality tags :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

OP, in fairness this wasn't the most ideal forum to ask if you're looking for serious answers. But you sound like you've your head screwed on, and I see no problem with it once you take things at her pace. I went out with a 23 year old when I was 16 and it lasted 5 years. No-one can judge you apart from yourself, only you can decide if she's mature enough to handle an adult relationship (minus the sex for now obv).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah OP, I don't think you're necessarily too old for her at all - that's for her to decide. I know the two of you are at very different stages (making the age gap a lot bigger than it would be if you were both 10 or even five years older) but that's no reason to not give it a try if you both really like each other. Letting that stop you would be putting too much stock into what others think.
    And you obviously don't just see her as a "slutty" bit of meat to stick it into, unlike some idiots.

Half your age plus seven is just silly IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

Old enuff to bleed, bleedin old enuff

or

If there's grass on the pitch, play ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah OP, I don't think you're necessarily too old for her at all - that's for her to decide. I know the two of you are at very different stages (making the age gap a lot bigger than it would be if you were both 10 or even five years older) but that's no reason to not give it a try if you both really like each other. Letting that stop you would be putting too much stock into what others think.
    And you obviously don't just see her as a "slutty" bit of meat to stick it into, unlike some idiots.

Half your age plus seven is just silly IMO.

I don't know, he's asking so maybe he's having doubts himself rather than thinking but "what will people think?". I think she's a bit young...I think everybody starts to notice how young certain age groups are when you reach a certain age yourself. When I was 21 I definetely would have noticed how young 16/17 year olds seemed..not just looks wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Just wait till she's 17 and bob's your auntie's uncle, just wear a raincoat or you could be bob's brother in law.

Or go North, where it's 16 and the booze is cheaper to boot.

I kid, I kid... I mean, joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you are thinking way to much, she is not to young for you because you are only 20 ffs.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I went out with a guy 14 years older for 5 years. Didn't end well but that was 14 years, 5 years is nothing. You seem to really like her and sure if you're willing to wait then what's the problem? In fact the wait will probably make her first time alot more special. Defo go at her pace though, you'll be a total **** if you don't and you'll feel like one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't know, he's asking so maybe he's having doubts himself rather than thinking but "what will people think?". I think she's a bit young...I think everybody starts to notice how young certain age groups are when you reach a certain age yourself. When I was 21 I definetely would have noticed how young 16/17 year olds seemed..not just looks wise
    I guess it depends on maturity. I didn't notice much of a difference between myself at 16/17 and 21 but maybe there was a big difference to others. It's seen as a huge gap but I don't agree it is - as in, I think 21 is a lot younger and a lot less grown-up than some seem to think it is. I always thought that too. But I guess these things are all about perspective and the individuals concerned. I still think the OP should go for it if he and she really like each other - in case they regret not doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

When i was 22 i went out with a girl that was 6..erm i mean 16.

Tbh i didnt know for nearly 4 months that she was so much younger than me, but i supposed i should have coppped on when Chris Hansen followed us around town.

Long story short, i spent 8 years of my life with the girl, wasnt an ideal situation, but to be fair she was more mature then then i was. After 2 years or so it made no difference the age, and her parents when i met them at christmas of the first year really liked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AnNead

I think the lad will know deep down. Looking at all responses they are 50-50 so...

Advertisement