Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry or Belfast?

• 22-10-2010 11:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Last December I went shopping to Belfast and Newry doing Belfast City and the outlets at Banbridge also. I have never been to Derry and it is the only county in Ireland I was never in, I was thinking of going up there this year to do the Christmas shopping. How does it compare with either Belfast or Newry? I have been to Enniskillen a few times but found Belfast to be the best overall. I have nothing particular in mind just general shopping and to visit the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Derry in terms of shopping I find better than Galway but worse than Limerick, some pretty decent clothes shops depending on what your after, Kular's sale section is good, there is one on shipquay street and I think one on Ferryquay street (certainly similar style shop there anway).
    B&M bargains sells really cheap stuff and is worth checking out before you go to tesco/sainsburys. Indoor Market sells airguns and other things like that (its on Sackville street).
    In terms of food haven't had proper meal out in ages but in terms of cafe etc An Cafe (formerly Franky Ramsy's if your asking for it) is worth checking out as example of place you just don't get in the ROI (a real proper greasy spoon ran by middle aged women that could probably (even these days) have you shot) also nice and more classy is Halo.
    In terms of Bars not knowing your tastes only place I'd really not recommend is Tracey's at bottom of Waterloo street.
    Peader O'donnell's and Sandino's are two good places, one trad pub the other lefty place (though was upstairs last year and just seemed to be a stripey shirted disco crowd)

sorry for lack of detail when ever I'm up i tend not to buy too much and I'm very hungover today.
    You should go but don't expect Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Technique

Derry in terms of shopping I find better than Galway but worse than Limerick, some pretty decent clothes shops depending on what your after, Kular's sale section is good, there is one on shipquay street and I think one on Ferryquay street (certainly similar style shop there anway).
    B&M bargains sells really cheap stuff and is worth checking out before you go to tesco/sainsburys. Indoor Market sells airguns and other things like that (its on Sackville street).
    In terms of food haven't had proper meal out in ages but in terms of cafe etc An Cafe (formerly Franky Ramsy's if your asking for it) is worth checking out as example of place you just don't get in the ROI (a real proper greasy spoon ran by middle aged women that could probably (even these days) have you shot) also nice and more classy is Halo.
    In terms of Bars not knowing your tastes only place I'd really not recommend is Tracey's at bottom of Waterloo street.
    Peader O'donnell's and Sandino's are two good places, one trad pub the other lefty place (though was upstairs last year and just seemed to be a stripey shirted disco crowd)

sorry for lack of detail when ever I'm up i tend not to buy too much and I'm very hungover today.
    You should go but don't expect Belfast

Seriously? I was in Limerick this summer and thought it was very poor for shopping.

Anyway, Derry would make a great spot for an overnight stay. Foyleside is a great shopping centre and the Richmond Centre is right next to it. There are some good city centre hotels and lots of excellent restaurants and bars at very reasonable prices. It's a friendly place,too.

I know Derry very well, so pm me if you need more specific info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

go to derry,really nice place one of the most underated places in the island of ireland.if you have never been i say go.
    as poster above said they are really nice people.
    (galway is the worst place to shop in ireland for its size,shopping in sligo is even better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I suppose why I think Limerick is better is because I know most of the places in Derry and always seem to find a new shop in Limerick (and Derry is pretty poor for buying stuff like books, can only think of the place in the craft village for buying 2nd hand ones)
    OP the TK Maxx on the waterside is pretty good and is significantly cheaper than the ones in the Republic.

I've been told by friends (who live in the UK these days where there is millions of them) that India House is the best indian take away they've been to (on carlise street i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Dont forget they have matalan on the waterside which is good for a bargain.
    foyleside has loads to offer. Same shops as you'd get anywhere and very cheap compared to the south. Derry has loads but i tend to do belfast for a change of scenery.As for eateries if ur willing to spend a few bob on nice food then you have exchange or timber quay. There a restaurant on the starnd road that do great deals 2 cousres for 10quid flaming jacks its called. Good service as well. Im from derry so if you need any info on anythin then im yer man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Defo Derry as its a great city - maybe stay in Busmills and make a couple of days away of the trip.

Another option is to stay in Moville / Redcastle on inishowen peninsula, great sightseeing and great crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Go to Derry, lovely city. I go shopping there every christmas and there's a nice atmosphere about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Went to Belfast, Newry, J1 in Antrim and Armagh City intead over the weekend. Spent a small fortune, saved a tonne and had a great time. Kerry to Belfast in 5 hours now with the new M8/M7 linkup and Newry Bypass without having to break the speed limit. Dual Carriageway/Motorway from Ballincollig to Antrim, Belfast is now the same "journey" as Dublin was about 5 years ago.

Advertisement