Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing Jeep back to Ireland; NCT questions

• 23-10-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Evening all,

Apologies for the long post, but given the changes on the Irish motoring landscape in the time that I've been out of the country it's a bit difficult to keep this short.

Here's the situation: I'm considering moving back to Wicklow sometime next year after 12 years in the 'States. Currently I'm driving a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (the original boxy XJ model), and I'm thinking of bringing it back with me. The problem is that it's been modified in some fairly substantial ways and I can't get a clear answer on whether or not they'll be an NCT issue from the website - the Jeep is lifted approximately 4.5" over stock height.

At the front, there's 3" of lift in the coils, and another 1.5" in adjustable spacers between the springs and body. The upper and lower control arms as well as the trackbar have been replaced with adjustable units, so it is possible to centre the axle properly.

The rear also has 3" of lift in the leaf springs, with extended shackles giving another 1.5". That axle has been replaced by a stronger one, which received disc brakes instead of the stock drums. To make that swap work, though, I had to disable the ABS - the tone rings from the old axle wouldn't fit the new shafts. None of the brake hydraulics have been changed as they just operate as a normal manual system when the fuses & relay are pulled.

The rear lights will probably have to be swapped out for scrapyard items that fit the EU pattern, and repeater lights for the indicators added onto the wings. Those are easy enough to take care of, as are RHD headlamps.

The reason why I bring all of this up is as follows: there were no diesel Cherokees sold new in the US at the time mine was manufactured, and this one is fully-loaded with every option offered in that year. As a result, it has the 4.0-litre petrol engine, which would be a bit thirsty for use in Ireland. I reckon that I could either swap it out for the diesel and RHD, or swap my suspension changes over to a RHD diesel model, either one likely being cheaper than ordering replacement suspension and paying the duty on it. At that point it could be sold back into the UK or Continent.

So if you're still awake at the end of this, I'd appreciate any clues you might be able to give me. If I just end up selling it here and doing something else if and when I'm back that's fine, but I really like the Jeep and would prefer to keep it or at least use it as a way to get upgrades for another one into the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Moved home for my sins at the end of 07 after 13 years on the east coast and brought the recession with me !! But am still happy -- But Hmmm?? - lifted jeep cherokee 4.0 petrol around Ireland will seriously cost you a mint to tax and run. I had a 98 chevy pick up that I loved and was definitely sticking it into the container... but overpowering economics took over -- I'm assuming its a passenger so its going to be around 1300 euros to tax (over 100 a month!!!) and OK lets assume you can convert to a commercial for the 288 tax( there is a s@@t show going on here at the moment on the whole eligibility for commercial tax) its still going to be crazy $$ to actually run ,the $$ involved with shipping it and European driving conversion, never mind the hassle you will have with the nct or doe -- anyway my 2c would be to get top dollar for it stateside and buy extremely well for an equivalent over here- Anyway good luck whatever you decide -- PM me if you have any move questions and I will be happy to get back to you MC

• Registered Users Posts: 9 casm23

Horse1920 wrote: »
    Moved home for my sins at the end of 07 after 13 years on the east coast and brought the recession with me !! But am still happy

Glad to hear it - I've been keeping up with the press in Ireland as well and while it's not exactly filling me with confidence, it's nowhere near as bad as it could be.
    But Hmmm?? - lifted jeep cherokee 4.0 petrol around Ireland will seriously cost you a mint to tax and run.

Yes, and that's exactly the reason why I'm considering swapping over to the diesel. I f***ing love the 4.0, but there's no way it's going to work in Ireland (and petrol's nowhere near as cheap here as it used to be, either).
    I'm assuming its a passenger so its going to be around 1300 euros to tax (over 100 a month!!!)

It's a passenger. The commercials were never sold here, unfortunately.
    and OK lets assume you can convert to a commercial for the 288 tax( there is a s@@t show going on here at the moment on the whole eligibility for commercial tax)

Saw that. What the hell is the deal with it? As far as I can tell the gov't is having a fit over people putting back seats into commercials (like that's new anyway), but it appears as though the quad-cab Mitsubishi L200s and the like are giving them a haemorrhage over taxation.
    its still going to be crazy $$ to actually run ,the $$ involved with shipping it and European driving conversion, never mind the hassle you will have with the nct or doe -- anyway my 2c would be to get top dollar for it stateside and buy extremely well for an equivalent over here- Anyway good luck whatever you decide -- PM me if you have any move questions and I will be happy to get back to you MC

Cheers, appreciate the advice. I still need to figure things out here over the next few weeks, but will definitely take you up on the offer of advice if and when I have a clue what's happening. Quite honestly, the way things have changed there concerns me a bit, and not just involving motor taxation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I moved here 3 years ago as the economy went pear shaped but don't regret it (most of the time anyway :rolleyes:)

Registering the vehicle will be fun, took the VRO 5 months to register my 101 as it's a bit different. At least you won't have to pay VRT

I'd forget turning it in to a commercial, pretty much have to wreck the interior and unless you have a business or farm you may still be forced to tax it privately anyway. I knew when I bought my 110 over I'd be crucified on tax but it's what I want and need so put up with it. They are clamping down on non-commercial use, it's always gone on but they are losing too much revenue so are beginning to enforce the rules both in the motor tax offices and on the road, it's not consistent though.

Provided it meets eu regulations on lighting, there's no reason why it shouldn't pass an NCT, plenty of heavily modded Land Rovers (mine included) get through NCT/DOE no problem.

Will you be using the vehicle everyday or as a weekend toy? Going to be a lot of work to convert it to diesel and the cost will pay for a lot of petrol.

The alternative is to sell and buy when you get here. Buy a runaround cheap here and then scour the internet and ebay for a Jeep in the UK. Well specced Cherokees like yours sold well in the UK for a while as they were very competitive on price, plenty of both diesel and petrol. An early one wouldn't incur too much VRT and there's plenty of UK based spares and aftermarket goodies support.

You'll really miss the petrol if you go diesel, I have my 101 as a toy to remind me what a proper engine sounds like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Sell your jeep in the states.
    You could buy a 4.0 petrol model here for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Don't even think about bringing it home with you.

It won't pass NCT with US lamps (indicators etc)

Jeep parts here are expensive and hard to come by (we imported several pallets of parts from Florida few years ago and sold them to Jeep dealers who were facing a waiting list of many months through the official channels)

Flog it, come home and buy something local.

• Advertisement
Advertisement