Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic 2 HD Remake Demo released!

Options
  • 23-10-2010 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭

Did Sonic Fans Just Release A Better Sonic the Hedgehog HD?

http://sonicfanremix.com/

Kotaku follows the story here :

500x_sonic_fan_remix.jpg

"A pair of die-hard Sonic the Hedgehog fans have released their own high-def homage to the Sonic games of old, Sonic Fan Remix, a side-scrolling platforming adventure that's dripping with detail. Does it rival the one Sega just released on consoles?

While Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I was built by a team of professionals at Dimps and Sonic Team, the independent fan project was primarily created by just two people. They go by the names Pelikan13 and Mercury and they've just released the demo of their unauthorized project.
    The Sonic Fan Remix demo re-imagines a pair of classic Sonic the Hedgehog levels. It also includes one built from scratch by its developers.

500x_sonic_remix.jpg

Mercury and Pelikan13 have been selective in borrowing gameplay mechanics from the Sega Genesis era Sonic the Hedgehog games, explaining that some elements are lifted from Sonic CD, while others aspects of Sonic's control are original. One trick Sonic Fan Remix doesn't have is the homing attack added to Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

See it for yourself in action here.

The demo is built on the Unity3D engine and users have bemoaned its CPU intensive needs and frame rate. It has its issues—and many Sonic Retro forum goers are taking issue with the game's art style—and is not yet a complete project.

But this is the work of a very small team of dedicated Sonic the Hedgehog fans. And, of course, it's free. So go grab yourself a copy and see what you think."

I imagine since this and it's link to the demo are legal, since it's been posted on various reputable gaming news sites. But to err on the side of caution, click on the link at the top of this post. Any problems let me know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That is awesome.. wow

Also, your link should be pointing to: http://sonicfanremix.com/

Edit: Wow, it plays really really well, and the graphics are outstanding.

I'm using a joypad too and it's very responsive.

The music is amazing too.

I am very very impressed with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This actually looks better than the official Sonic 4. Plus no homing jump FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

this is very exciting wonderful job done on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wow looks superb !!

Hope the 2 guys get good jobs or something from that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hope the 2 guys get good jobs or something from that

Alas, it will probably be a cease and desist letter :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Alas, it will probably be a cease and desist letter :(
    Yeah, how dare they make a Sonic game better than the one Sega did.

Advertisement