Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Issue with Google Maps

Options
  • 23-10-2010 3:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

My apologies if this is not the right forum, I did a search, and there does not appear to be an obvious place to post this. Maybe After Hours? I don't know.

I want my car deleted from the view on Google maps. They blocked out the registration plate but it's obvious from bumper stickers that it is my car. I did a search for reporting it to Google, and it was the most complicated thing and I couldn't really find any options except posting on an open forum with my email address assigned and all the rest.

I am posting this thread to address two issues:

1) How do I contact Google directly without posting in an FAQ forum?
    2) What do you make of Google maps? Why does there appear to be a lack of resistance to it? Why don't we have the right to say, 'Actually, NO, I don't want my personal property appearing on a search engine?' I know the names and addresses of the occupants are not available, but I just don't agree with it. I don't like the idea of a Google car driving around taking photographs of my car and home and posting it on the Internet with little or no accountability or legalisation or my ok on the whole thing. A lot of elderly people probably don't even know this exists, that all their neighbours can do a search and scope their home out. Maybe they wouldn't even care. But I care. Why is there not more open debate about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

When looking at the photo, there 's 'report a problem' link on the bottom left. Click it.

In relation to privacy, there's nothing there that you wouldn't ordinarily see in public. Actually with faces and number plates blurred, there's less on GE/GM than you would usually see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Taking photos from public places is legal so therefore Google have every right to show what the cars have photographed. Only if the car has been on private land, can someone report them for trespassing etc.

Advertisement