Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX 6870 Radeon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And the 5770s arent coming down in price :/

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

sooner or later they will...
    but i would go rather for gtx 460 or 6870...
    since pny gtx 460 is only 189e i would go for it...
    check pixmania for it..
    5770 is only 128bit which might cause some problems im gaiming..
    where 256 is very good, and 320 is great, but expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so wheres the cheapest that you have found it?
    the cheapest i've seen is on ebuyer for around €200

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

eBuyer had the HD6850 for just ~€150 preorder but it vanished the next day :o:(

Erper wrote: »
    sooner or later they will...
    but i would go rather for gtx 460 or 6870...
    since pny gtx 460 is only 189e i would go for it...
    check pixmania for it..
    5770 is only 128bit which might cause some problems im gaiming..
    where 256 is very good, and 320 is great, but expensive...
    yeah but ive already got one of the 5770s, a pair would be great. I dont think there would be a point of getting a 2nd card with a 256 or wider pipeline if its gonna get choked.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    yeah but ive already got one of the 5770s, a pair would be great. I dont think there would be a point of getting a 2nd card with a 256 or wider pipeline if its gonna get choked.

i know...
    that why im using only 1gpu, enought for me.. hehe..

this is great card, but im giving a minus to big using of psu, like gtx 460 its using 2 psu 6pins, which means if u have 500w psu u have to chage it :(...

the 6850 comes with 1psu 6pin so its good to go with 500w psu..

If the PSU has enough 12V overhead to run the card, and has 6A remaining overhead on the Molex or SATA 12V rail, you can just use a Molex/SATA-to-PCIe adaptor. More and more cards are coming with them nowadays :)

some of them yes, but 6870 requires psu of 600w

No... in real life a HD6870 would use 140W if pushed to the edge, and around 100-120W while gaming. If you were running a moderately OCd 130W CPU then you'd need a 550W PSU, otherwise a 500W would do fine :) Manufacturers recommendations are an utter pile of horse****e, and have been for years now :rolleyes::P

as i said, im using only 1 gpu, so i hope that my 500w would be enought for this monster :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ordered a 6870 for 204 euro this morning.

nice... when u test it post it if u want, so we can decide should we definetly go or wait.,.,,

Got it earlier. Happy so far. Depends on what you are upgrading from to be honest. I had a 4890 vapour x, which was a great card and have gotten around 40% improvement in games I've tested so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Already goin up in price on pix, €219 now. anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

On Hardwareversand from 205 but not really worth it unless your ordering other stuff as well.

No HD6850s on Pix anymore either :o

check pixmania...
    btw i was thinking to upgrade from 8800gt for something good with hdmi :)...

was lookin at 5770, was 109 on dabs clearance, but gave up on it...

whyd you give up on it?

two reasons, one is to get cheaper, and second is its 128bit

guys, ati 5830 on pixmania only 159e, gtx 460 gs of 1gb is 159 and of 768 only 139e...
    and 6850/70 same price, 229e

• Advertisement

Pix is taking the urine, seriously!

As the HD5850 replacement the HD6870 still commands a significant premium (even on HWVS you're paying the best part of €200 for one) but the HD6850 is staying rooted around €160 on most other sites and the GTX460 1GB is popping up for €150 now! The base GTX460 is heading toward €130 on HWVS!! And every one of the above hammers the HD5830 to some degree - a card that, unlike the others here, draws nearly as much juice as a GTX470 :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Pix is taking the urine, seriously!

As the HD5850 replacement the HD6870 still commands a significant premium (even on HWVS you're paying the best part of €200 for one) but the HD6850 is staying rooted around €160 on most other sites and the GTX460 1GB is popping up for €150 now! The base GTX460 is heading toward €130 on HWVS!! And every one of the above hammers the HD5830 to some degree - a card that, unlike the others here, draws nearly as much juice as a GTX470 :eek:

Could be worse, they could be Komplett charging 200 for a 5830, with no sign of the 6800 generation a full two weeks after launch. Shame that a once good retailer has turned into a bit of a bad joke really :rolleyes:

Komplett are as Komplett as Tesco are Quinnsworth :(:p They're hostile foreign megacorporations that have callously gobbled up our trusted retailers in order to use their names in vain to peddle overpriced ****e :mad:

At least Tosco had the decency to realize it wasn't going to wash and rebranded themselves as themselves, basically hanging a big banner over their door saying "Come here for tons of godawful B-grade English "food"!!1!1!!1!lollercopter" :rolleyes:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Komplett are as Komplett as Tesco are Quinnsworth :(:p They're hostile foreign megacorporations that have callously gobbled up our trusted retailers in order to use their names in vain to peddle overpriced ****e :mad:

At least Tosco had the decency to realize it wasn't going to wash and rebranded themselves as themselves, basically hanging a big banner over their door saying "Come here for tons of godawful B-grade English "food"!!1!1!!1!lollercopter" :rolleyes:

hehe, tesco... btw those items called Tehnika r from Turkey, which is shyt...

this gtx 460 gs caught my eye and i might go for it, even if 5830 is bit better than 460 by 50hz...

I don't see the HD5830 beating even a basic stock GTX460 in many benchmarks... besides which the GTX460 is cheap, cooler, less thirsty and a lot more OCable! ;)

im not sayin that its better, im saying that 5830 have 50mhz more... hhee...
    friend of mine told me that gs series of nvidia is not good...

Then your friend is a fanboi and is talking tripe. nVidia doesn't even have a GS series! :D:P

And MHz is a measurement of how fast the GPU is - it is not a measure of actual performance!! :o

Ive decided to go for 6850, its 159 on pix ...
    Probably ill take new cooler and maybe 1-2 tb hdd... Its good offer before christmas... :)

Advertisement