Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books

Options
  • 23-10-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Just found out that I'm pregnant!! :D
    Can anyone recommend a book on pregnancy? I'd love something that shows the changes week to week.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I have What to Expect When You're Expecting' and it's very good for week to week explanations and information on the changes your body goes through. Most bookshops will have it.

Congrats btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Congrats! I would agree with that book but to be honest, I have found most of that info from the internet, plenty of websites that tell you what's happening week by week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep Internet is great but I've found the book good too. There's sometimes too much info on the internet and it can be subjective and conflicting. It's nice to have a good old fashioned book to flick through too (imo!) especially as you get further into pregnancy and are thinking about labour etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

A million percent agree with the what to expect book. Its brilliant!

If you are going to look on the internet too, pick a website and stick with it rather than looking at lots of different websites. Although information shouldn't be conflicting, sometimes it will be. I would highly recommend

www.babycentre.co.uk

It has week by week pregnancy updates and it is also brilliant for after babs is born too. A nice easy to use website with great information.

Congratulations and good luck for the next 9 months and beyond! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Get thee to your local library, you can get out as many books as you like and then choose one that suits you to buy.
    I ended up with 6 books on my first pg ! in fairness on third pg now so still reading them.
    Ones to borrow: The Irish Pregnancy Book by Dr. Peter Boylan for info particular to irish hospitals and services, maybe a little out of date, but good source. and to counter the very medical view try The Better Birth Book: taking the Mystery (and Fear) Out of Childbirth By Tracy Donegan, good on the pros and cons of interventions and pain relief, etc.
    I took out the contented baby book and the baby whisperer to get some views on baby feeding etc, and then choose the baby whisperer for using afterwards.
    HTH and congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

lynski wrote: »
    Ones to borrow: The Irish Pregnancy Book by Dr. Peter Boylan for info particular to irish hospitals and services, maybe a little out of date, but good source. and to counter the very medical view try The Better Birth Book: taking the Mystery (and Fear) Out of Childbirth By Tracy Donegan, good on the pros and cons of interventions and pain relief, etc.

I didn't like the tone of The Irish Pregnancy Book at all.

Other books: Miriam Stoppard's Conception, Pregnancy and Birth - also wasn't gone on it. Very patronising sections for fathers ('look, you can change nappies too!')

Sheila Kitzinger's 'Birth and Labour' (or something like that) - very good on labour, but not so much on pregnancy.

Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth - flippant, occasionally funny, but not a serious reference guide.

What to Expect is probably the best for that - I've referred to it for any questions I've had and it's informative and reassuring.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Congratulations. Books dont really tell you what you need to know like when I was pregnant the books mentions you will probably get a "show" before you go into labour - I couldn't get the image of the muppet show out of my head!!!

Anyway the best book I had was the "Bounty" book which was given free in the hospital (that was 12 years ago and saw me throughout all the babies). I'd ask in the hospital would they have a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I have the day-by-day pregnancy book, editor in chief Dr. Maggie Blott.
    it has the day by day development, so much information in it.

I got my bf a book called 'pregnancy for men' , its a great read. comical and has some really good facts that you wouldn't get in the normal development books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

deelite wrote: »
    Congratulations. Books dont really tell you what you need to know like when I was pregnant the books mentions you will probably get a "show" before you go into labour - I couldn't get the image of the muppet show out of my head!!!

Anyway the best book I had was the "Bounty" book which was given free in the hospital (that was 12 years ago and saw me throughout all the babies). I'd ask in the hospital would they have a copy.

That bounty book is still in my mums house after my 18yr old brother!

I got The pregnancy bible and found it great especially for the hospital and labour, but eumum.ie and babycentre were better for wk by wk progress.

http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Bible-Complete-Guide-Parenthood/dp/155297796X

Advertisement