Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2010/2011

Options

Comments

Ye I agree completely.

Hes only 22 so he can only get better.

Hopefully The Bulls get in the right players in the next couple of years so they can challenge for a championship again.

Its Mather Luther King day on Monday so ESPN will be showing 4 games.

Chicago @ Memphis

New Jersey @ Golden State

Orlando @ Boston

Oklahoma @ Los Angeles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Raging that the Orlando @ Celtics game is one of the late games.:mad:

Clippers beat Lakers 99-92 tonight.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Its Mather Luther King day on Monday so ESPN will be showing 4 games.

Chicago @ Memphis
    MLK day is a poignant day across the NBA but I'd imagine particularly so in the city where he was assassinated. As for the game, the Bulls are in bad shape with Boozer ruled out as well as Noah. That's their two main rebounders and 2nd-highest scorer out. The Grizzlies are going well lately, and their strength is in the front-court of Randolph/Gay/Gasol, just where the Bulls are weak. Hard to see the Bulls winning this.
    Orlando @ Boston
    Apparently Garnett will be back, the Celtics have been struggling without him. I still like the Magic to win here, as he probably won't be 100% sharp & could have limited minutes. The spread of scorers for the Magic since the trade is impressive. They have 8 players now who can regularly get into double-figures.

And is Dwight Howard improving his free-throw shooting lately? He shot 17-20 from the line against the Thunder the other night, that'd be huge for them in the playoffs if he is. If the Magic win this, they'll have the tie-breaker over the Celtics for playoff seeding.
    Oklahoma @ Los Angeles
    Oklahoma seem to be a lot of neutrals favourite but I don't really enjoy watching them, their one-on-one style of offense and slack defending doesn't appeal to me. Still there could be an upset here (if beating the Lakers counts as an upset these days).

I think this Lakers team has won its last championship. With their soft start to the season, their schedule from here on in looks pretty punishing: http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers

Let's see how they do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DRose

Hey guys, made this account specifically to talk ball! :D its pretty crap that its not popular in ireland, got nobody to share opinions and news about the nba so i at least i found something!

Im a bulls huge fan by the way! great win againts the grizz last night especially with boozer out but rose (triple double! :D) and korver had a huge games though! ive read a few previous posts on here and i dont get why people hating on Rose? hes the most exiting player in the league bar Blake "high griffinition" griffin but i really think hes got a shot at mvp. not only that buts hes making the players around him better, Lou Deng is having a great season! my one huge problem with Thibs though is that he keeps starting Bogans! C'mon, hes just not a starter in the nba, he's awful! the way brewer has been playing lately, he deserves the starting 2 spot. hell even kyle korver!

so yeah, whats up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

It's hard to say where Rose ranks when as far as I can see this is the best PG group that I've seen in a long time. I think part of it's a function of the rule changes with zone defenses, making the sport more guard-oriented than it used to be.

-Russell Westbrook (22)
    -Derrick Rose (22)
    -Rajon Rondo (24)
    -Chris Paul (25)
    -Deron Williams (26)
    -John Wall (20)
    -Jrue Holiday (20)
    -Tyreke Evans (21)
    -Stephen Curry (22)
    -Ray Felton (26)

Plus the old dogs like Nash, Parker, and Kidd are still effective.

• Advertisement

Yeah i agree that the current generation of PG's are really impressive, im a fan of Steph Curry too, i like his play. But i do think Rose edges it this season for me, his defence has improved so much thanks to Thibodeau's coaching although he still has a lot of work to do. not only this but his huge increase in 3pt% has been immense, i honestly didnt think he had that shot in him. Charles barkly even said it last night that rose is now the best pg in the league (even though im not a fan of barkly himself, bit of an ass :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The more I see of Chris Paul, the more I like... Nash and JKidd though, been a pleasure to watch them all these years... JKidd was a kinda brash kid when he came into the League, had a bit of a suspect past (can't remember exactly, possession of Marijuana in college maybe?) and he was coming in at exactly the same time as the most manufactured superstar in NBA history - Grant Hill.

What happens, JKidd just flat outplays the superstar so at the end of the year they don't know what to do about Rookie of the Year! It's gotta be Kidd, but Hill's name is already etched on the trophy (probably ;) ) ??

So, they wuss out and go "Co-Rookies of the Year"!! Bullsh*t... Kidd was the man...

Not NBA related but just wow:eek:
    Amateur Lithuanian basketball players have all the fun. This weekend, Rolandas Dovydaitis decided to break the record for most three-pointers attempted in a game. LithuaniaBasketball.com doesn't reveal what the record was, but I think it's safe to say Dovydaitis was successful. He fired up 124 threes, hitting 24 and scoring 73 points.

wow, thats a lot. bet his teamates were pissed at him for taking that many shots! :eek: impressive though!

also why did they pick DeRozan to replace Jennings? i mean hes a good dunker but i would have prefered some new blood in there considering he was in it last year! i know its a bit biased but i think Rose would have been good. I dont think LeBron will ever do it either, he's scared of losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Not NBA related but just wow:eek:

I think I played with some of his Irish cousins back in the day. I'm not naming names but I've played with some "Black Holes"* in my time. Shame there's no video as I'd love to see the expression on his team mates/coach's faces. :)

*called "Black Holes" as you know once you pass them the ball, you might as well turn around and play defence as you know that ball is not coming back to you, regardless of who's marking them, how open you or any of your team mates are etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    The more I see of Chris Paul, the more I like... Nash and JKidd though, been a pleasure to watch them all these years... JKidd was a kinda brash kid when he came into the League, had a bit of a suspect past (can't remember exactly, possession of Marijuana in college maybe?) and he was coming in at exactly the same time as the most manufactured superstar in NBA history - Grant Hill.

What happens, JKidd just flat outplays the superstar so at the end of the year they don't know what to do about Rookie of the Year! It's gotta be Kidd, but Hill's name is already etched on the trophy (probably ;) ) ??

So, they wuss out and go "Co-Rookies of the Year"!! Bullsh*t... Kidd was the man...

"true dat". Kidd had a much better rookie year but the NBA had pretty much ordained Hill as the next Jordan before he even joined the league so it was a bit of a farcical decision. I thought we might have a similar situation this year with Griffin and Wall, but BG is going to walk it, it's not even a contest.

called "Black Holes" as you know once you pass them the ball, you might as well turn around and play defence as you know that ball is not coming back to you, regardless of who's marking them, how open you or any of your team mates are etc. etc..

I'm a Warriors fan and I watched Correy Maggette play for us for two years. The ultimate definition of a black hole:(

man, i wish the bulls would trade for Fernandez. im sick of watching Keith Bogans rotting corpse on the court

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woVBhYJvB90

I wouldn't be surprised if JR Smith ends up as a Bull before the trade deadline. Looks like Melo's gone, and Denver's pretty much done with Smith. The Bulls are looking for a legit 2 guard and some outside shooting. It seems to make sense.

yeah i suppose he posts decent numbers but im just not sure if hes worth the trouble. . .

That move has little to zero chance of happening. There's no way Lacob would trade Ellis or Curry for a few months of Carmelo. Besides Anthony has made it clear where he wants to be next year and it certainly isn't on the West Coast. :(

To be honest i really thought golden state would be good this year with the David Lee trade. I really like him and thought that he would really help you guys push in the west but it doesnt seem to be working :confused: steph curry's injury isint helping but still i expected more

Coaching is a big problem. Smart should be running Lee and Curry pick & rolls all day but he has no idea how to maximize each other's effectiveness. Plus it doesn't help that Lee is the 4th or 5th option on offense while in New York he was the 1st or 2nd.

Another reason is our team defense. Statistically, we're improved in every defensive category from last year, but we're still among the bottom in every defensive category. I know we have some below average individual defenders, but I was hoping that our team defense would improve enough to be a .500 team

Yeah this is true i guess. Altough Dorell Wright has been a suprise this year, he's playing some good ball. Be interesting to see what kind of movement there is between now and the trade deadline though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if JR Smith ends up as a Bull before the trade deadline. Looks like Melo's gone, and Denver's pretty much done with Smith. The Bulls are looking for a legit 2 guard and some outside shooting. It seems to make sense.

JR Smith would be a great signing for the Bulls. Smith, Boozer and Rose would work nicely I'd say. I don't rate Noah too much but he is a good rebounder.

Lebron and Rose would have been great to see together too. Actually, thinking about it now, if the Heat had a serious PG I'd say they would be extremely hard to beat.

Anyone else suprised by how brilliant the Spurs are doing?

DRose wrote: »
    man, i wish the bulls would trade for Fernandez. im sick of watching Keith Bogans rotting corpse on the court

Bogans really is a lightning rod for Bulls fans but he doesn't bother me as much because he's not playing starters minutes. Ronnie Brewer is the starter in all but name, but for whatever reason Thibodeau likes to start with Bogans and bring Brewer off the bench for more minutes.

I agree though, they probably need to make a trade at this spot. I really like Brewer but you need someone as well who can score more heavily. They don't need to rush anything though, they're a young team and their prime may be a few years away. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs are getting older, but are still pretty good this year. They don't want to make a rushed trade and tie themselves up for a few years with no options. It won't bother me if they don't make a trade in this window, they can afford to be patient and get the right guy.

Just catching up on Mavs @ Bulls from last night. Great win (though I imagine not very pretty for the neutrals). Tom Thibodeau must be a candidate for coach of the year. They had a stat in the Grizzlies game that he had the best record over his first 40 games of any first-year Bulls head-coach. So better than Phil Jackson with Jordan & Pippen. Not saying he's going to emulate what they achieved, but just shows how impressive it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

DRose wrote: »

Warriors fan here too, would have to agree with Sea Devils here about Carmelo for sure, not sure what other trades are available that would be able to improve the team.

No player is indispensable in reality but the team does have some excellent players that you wouldn't want to give up cheaply.
    It is all about what this team wants to become, it may take sacrificing someone like Monte, I would hate to see him leave but you never know.

I have been pretty impressed with Lee, just a great work ethic and attitude, delighted with his contribution.
    On someone I would love to see the back of, Biedrins, has wrecked my head yet again this season.

I think the Wariiors could push to 500 in the next few weeks but will fade away again once they go on the road.

Rose threw up some amount of shots the last night, although there were some pretty cool circus shots in there. Besides his basketball skills the one thing that has really impressed Rose since he came to the league is that he comes across as a really down to earth, hard working nice guy that doesn't have all that entourage crap.

ClutchIt wrote: »

Anyone else suprised by how brilliant the Spurs are doing?

At the start of the year I didn't think they could have beat the Lakers in a 7 game series but now I think they can. It's remarkable how well Popovich has been able to shift that team from being Duncan-centric to a faster, more wing oriented team, but he's done it and won 50 games all the while.

Just watched the second episode of 'The Association', really enjoying it. They picked the perfect team for it, both in terms of the team's narrative and the individual player stories.

Can watch it free online:

padraig_f wrote: »
    Bogans really is a lightning rod for Bulls fans but he doesn't bother me as much because he's not playing starters minutes. Ronnie Brewer is the starter in all but name, but for whatever reason Thibodeau likes to start with Bogans and bring Brewer off the bench for more minutes.

I agree though, they probably need to make a trade at this spot. I really like Brewer but you need someone as well who can score more heavily. They don't need to rush anything though, they're a young team and their prime may be a few years away. Teams like the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs are getting older, but are still pretty good this year. They don't want to make a rushed trade and tie themselves up for a few years with no options. It won't bother me if they don't make a trade in this window, they can afford to be patient and get the right guy.

Just catching up on Mavs @ Bulls from last night. Great win (though I imagine not very pretty for the neutrals). Tom Thibodeau must be a candidate for coach of the year. They had a stat in the Grizzlies game that he had the best record over his first 40 games of any first-year Bulls head-coach. So better than Phil Jackson with Jordan & Pippen. Not saying he's going to emulate what they achieved, but just shows how impressive it is.

yeah i agree it wont be the end of the world if we dont make any trades but i would be a little worried if nothing happens between now and next season. i cant make a final judgement till playoff time i guess and i really really dont want Melo in chicago either. I do think Deng is playing really well though and it seems to be going unoticed. ive really liked his play this season.

As far as Thiboudeau goes, hes done a huuuuge job with the team especially on the defencive end which was was expected but he really seems to have the team motivated, the energy in games (apart from some first quarters) has been great.

I think you guys should at least look into trading for a decent outside shooter because as it stands the lack of outside shooting could be your downfall in the Playoffs.

Rose, Deng and Korver are the only 3 guys on that team shooting it well but it's highly questionable that two of them will continue to do so.

Yeah i completely agree. Ive said it once and il keep saying it Rudy Fernandez is a perfect fit. not only with his outside shooting but his ball handling and his ability to dish dimes take some of the load off Rose allowing him to score alot more freely which sounds rediculous i know but still. I want Rudy!!!!!! He is totally taken for granted in Portland and his talent is being wasted

There was some talk about Rudy in the summer but I heard that the Portland front office have a reputation of being difficult to deal with and overvaluing their players, so maybe that was the stumbling block there.

I think the Bulls will definitely make a trade for that spot, whether it's now or in the summer. There are a few other names as well, OJ Mayo is a name mentioned a lot, Bill Simmons was asked about it in a recent online chat:
    Q: Hey Picasso can you get the Bulls a SG to put us over the top?

Simmons: I am terrified of the Bulls getting OJ Mayo. That's the undervalued former high lottery pick who's sitting out there waiting to get stolen away by a good team. Last year, it was Ray Felton and nobody ended up stealing him until the summer. This year it's Mayo.

The All-star starting-5s are named tonight, if Rondo gets a place ahead of Rose, I'll be very upset.

This came up in the same chat actually:
    Q: Don't you think that Rondo should start instead of Rose in the All-Star game because he isn't going to take any shots and the players will have more fun playing with him?

Simmons: Rose deserves to start, I'm a Celtics homer and even I can't deny that. Here's what will be interesting though: Rose and Rondo don't like each other, and Rondo's coach will be coaching this Eastern team... so if your Doc Rivers, and it's crunch-time, who do you play? Sit Rose and risk pissing him off to new heights every time you play him. Sit Rondo and your PG is secretly bitter at you for the rest of the year. Tough scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

padraig_f wrote: »
    Just watched the second episode of 'The Association', really enjoying it. They picked the perfect team for it, both in terms of the team's narrative and the individual player stories.

Can watch it free online:

That was awesome, thanks for posting... can you let us know when Ep 3 is available?

Advertisement