Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    That was awesome, thanks for posting... can you let us know when Ep 3 is available?

Yeah it's very well made. I thought the last few minutes of episode 1 were brilliantly done, where Havlicek visits the practice and they use it to explain the essential motivation for the team.

I think they're making 5 or 6 so should be about one a month, will post when the next one is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah it's very well made. I thought the last few minutes of episode 1 were brilliantly done, where Havlicek visits the practice and they use it to explain the essential motivation for the team.

I think they're making 5 or 6 so should be about one a month, will post when the next one is up.

Very interesting how Havlicek comes up with a play, brings it to Doc and they run it in practice. Not something I've seen in another sport or another team. They seem like a fun team, hangin with them on a road trip would be a riot! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DRose

hey is anybody into college hoops? what do you think of jimmer fredette? the guy is insane. deepest 3pt shooter ive seen since reddick but this guys much better, hes atlethic. cant wait to see him in the nba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

He's been given some comparisons to Stephen Curry from what I've read. This is a very good article on him.

Kyrie Irving is also moving up some draft boards too.

thanks for posting, great article. the only worry i have for this guy is that he turns out to be another adam morrison although i highly doubt that. hes an exiting player. as far as kyle irving goes ive heard positive things but havnt seen him play so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

DRose wrote: »
    thanks for posting, great article. the only worry i have for this guy is that he turns out to be another adam morrison although i highly doubt that. hes an exiting player. as far as kyle irving goes ive heard positive things but havnt seen him play so much

Well to be fair to Morrison he did suffer a serious injury when he came to the league although he has still been a let down, I would be more worried that he is coming out of BYU, god damn Mormons, joke !! Well kind of...

well the reason Morrison was so bad is beacuse he was a system player at Gonzaga and he worked well in that system, nothing more. Its hard to tell but i really think Fredette could be could

well the reason Morrison was so bad is beacuse he was a system player at Gonzaga and he worked well in that system, nothing more. Its hard to tell but i really think Fredette could be could

Ah no, sorry but no, there is a bit more to it than that and even that is not entirely true. He didn't do too bad for the bobcats in his first year to be fair, I really think that tearing his ACL set him back loads and he never has recovered, maybe more mental than anything. He can always say he has a ring I suppose even if his career is in the dumps now.

I watched a few games with Fredette and he can shoot for sure, can get to the basket in college but has no defense, if he can work as hard as Redick did then he could find a role in a team

yeah but you have to admit, to fall that quick from a successful college career and a 3rd pick in the draft must mean something wasnt right there. i admit the injury deffinatly added to that. if he was any good at all he would have been signed by a desperate team (cavs) by now.

Just after watching the Lakers game there and I am starting to have my doubts about them this year now. They've mentally checked out this season . I know that's not unusual for a 3-peat team (or even more so, a team trying to make it's 4th straight Finals), but it's getting to be worrying if you're a Lakers follower

Would have been nice to have Barnes play instead of Luke too.

• Advertisement

im sorry but i never liked the lakers, they are just plain boring to watch and have no exiting players at all. maybe shannon brown last year but after his showing in the dunk contest i nearly got sick :eek:

now they are simply just an empty shell of a team, no emotion or intensity. the celtics just totally out played and out hustled em

im sorry but i never liked the lakers, they are just plain boring to watch and have no exiting players at all. maybe shannon brown last year but after his showing in the dunk contest i nearly got sick :eek:

now they are simply just an empty shell of a team, no emotion or intensity. the celtics just totally out played and out hustled em

Em, Kobe Bryant??

I wouldn't worry about the Lakers, Jackson is a weird... but I think it's gonna be Boston's year... let's go Shaq, one more ring to add to the collection, Big Fella!

Iam not a fan of the lakers to say the least but no exciting plarers is a bit off, as said Kobe, one of the most exciting players ever, then you have Gasol amongst others that can light it up, maybe not in what some perceive as exciting but for me in pure basketball terms they are.
    I thought the Lakers lacked the intensity and chemistry last year and were there for the taking but no one took advantage, they have the quality to get them past these things for the most part, this year might be too much though in my opinion.

Thats's very true. I'm a big fan of the "it's only January line" which can explain their recent performances but they do look spent at the same time. I wonder if three straight years are catching up to them.

sorry but i never liked Kobe. sure he scores a lot but he just never exited me. id rather watch a clippers game any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anyone going to the game in London?
    Surely they could have picked a more interesting game than Nets v Raptors for promoting the game in England/Europe.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Anyone going to the game in London?
    Surely they could have picked a more interesting game than Nets v Raptors for promoting the game in England/Europe.

Yeah i really wanna go but none of my friends are really into basketball so i havnt got anybody to go with, also being in college moneys tight but id love to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I want to go, but I'm going over to Manchester next week for a football game, so I'm not allowed to the basketball too.:pac:

I like the idea of playing a game in London but the fact that both teams are mediocre means I won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I agree the NBA is not exactly putting it's best foot forward with the game selection here. I have tickets but not 100% sure if I'll go just yet. I attended both Hawks v Magic games in Wembley Arena in 1993, they were pretty cool as both teams were genuine contenders with loaded rosters at the time. There were Shaq posters all over London, but Penny Hardaway was the real star. The Hawks still had a fit Dominique Wilkins too, and a young Stacey Augmon. Both teams won a combined 107 games that season, it'd take the two on show this time around about 3-4 years to achieve that. Was kinda hoping Melo would get traded just for these games!

• Advertisement

I agree the NBA is not exactly putting it's best foot forward with the game selection here. I have tickets but not 100% sure if I'll go just yet. I attended both Hawks v Magic games in Wembley Arena in 1993, they were pretty cool as both teams were genuine contenders with loaded rosters at the time. There were Shaq posters all over London, but Penny Hardaway was the real star. The Hawks still had a fit Dominique Wilkins too, and a young Stacey Augmon. Both teams won a combined 107 games that season, it'd take the two on show this time around about 3-4 years to achieve that. Was kinda hoping Melo would get traded just for these games!

Hawks-Magic circa '93 must've been fun. Wilkins and Augmon were spectacular players, Shaq was young and dunkin on everyone and Penny Hardaway was on his way to becomming a superstar right around then. Like you said, alot more of a draw then the two teams being trotted out this go round.

I've only really made a proper effort to get back into watching the NBA these past 2/3 months for the first time in a good 10 years - there is literally 7/8/9 years of NBA action in between that I have close to zero knowledge about (apart from the obvious, LeBron, Kobe)... and I can't decide whether today's game is better/worse... the same?? I don't know...

Obviously, being 28 myself, that youthful enthusiasm isn't there so much - when I was a kid I knew every player, his number, position, height and all that crack... so it can be harder to get into the flow watching games now when I don't really know the players etc

The zone defence has come in to the NBA in the meantime and I gather it was a move to curb the dominance of inside players (correct me if I'm wrong here).. I recall being at a talk with former Orlando Magic coach Brian Hill in the Arena about 1995 (Rockets had just swept the Magic in the finals) and he was asked about the zone defence and why it was not allowed in the NBA. He argued that it would stop players like Shaq, Olajuwan, Robinson etc at the time from doing their thing; therefore the league would be less entertaining; offenses would become jump-shot orientated and, most importantly, people would stop watching...

Is the league more entertaining today? I don't know, for me the games don't seem quite as exciting. I remember when Magic Johnson briefly came out of retirement (97, maybe? It was the year before Shaq went to LA) and he expressed concerns about the direction the game was going - he felt offenses were based too much around isolation plays and there wasn't enough of the off-the-cuff, run-n-gun basketball he had been reared on.

That would be the one complaint I have of the games I've watched in the past 2/3 months. My favourite team to watch this year have been the Celtics (was always a huge Shaq fan) but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player with the tools to dominate like Kevin Durrant. When Garnett was a kid, he was considered a freak because at 6'9"-7'0" he could handle the ball and shoot - but he never had the range Durrant has right now, I've never seen anything like him. How on earth do you guard a guy who's 6'10", can drive and shoot like a 2-guard?? Unreal...

Anyway, I'm up unusually early for a Saturday so just thought I'd have a little chat with myself there for the last 10 mins or so :)

Golden state destroyed us in the 4th last night :( Curry did a great job on Rose though i gotta say

That game showed me that we honestly aren't that far apart talent wise with you guys but we don't have the coaching to maximize it. I really really wish we had Thibodeau as Coach instead of Smart :(

Yeah to be honest i dont think we would be where we are in the standings without Thibs. Hes done a great job with the team. Deffinate contender for coach of the year. i was really dissapointed with the performance in the fourth though. full credit to Steph for that. still missing that 2 guard. . .no rumours yet even with the deadline comming up. . .worrying :confused:

Was planning on going to the Bulls game but just very lazy and decided TV was the best option, want to see Rose live at some stage.
    Warriors definitely have the talent to trouble teams on a given day but do lack that consistency and top coaching, we also need another player or two to be a half decent playoff team even if we had great coaching in my opinion.
    I thought the Warriors as a team did a good job on Rose, they pretty much closed down the lanes where he can kill you. Saying that too the bulls had an offf night and looked a bit tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hawks-Magic circa '93 must've been fun. Wilkins and Augmon were spectacular players, Shaq was young and dunkin on everyone and Penny Hardaway was on his way to becomming a superstar right around then. Like you said, alot more of a draw then the two teams being trotted out this go round.

Yeah, was pretty cool alright - the warm-ups were like the Dunk Contest.

Like you, I lost interest myself for about 10 years, but have come back into it since the Celtics revival, the arrival of ESPN on our shores and with work as I travel quite a bit to the US.

The game has changed, scoring is way down and for me, it's less of a run and gun game (and therefore probably less spectacular), but it still has 'something' that keeps me coming back....and not just the Miami Heat Cheerleaders;). Enjoying watching the Celtics at the mo.

Was planning on going to the Bulls game but just very lazy and decided TV was the best option, want to see Rose live at some stage.
    Warriors definitely have the talent to trouble teams on a given day but do lack that consistency and top coaching, we also need another player or two to be a half decent playoff team even if we had great coaching in my opinion.
    I thought the Warriors as a team did a good job on Rose, they pretty much closed down the lanes where he can kill you. Saying that too the bulls had an offf night and looked a bit tired.

Yeah i agree they look tired, they play with so much intensity its hard to keep that level up. Im worried about the next 3 games being away from home i have to say, we could easily drop a few if we're not careful.

Found this elsewhere, great collection of MJ pics, some I'd never seen before...

http://danteross.com/blogs/spaceknuckle/2009/09/11/mjhof/

EDIT: Sh*t, meant to post that in the Videos/Pics thread... Mods, little help??

Found this elsewhere, great collection of MJ pics, some I'd never seen before...

http://danteross.com/blogs/spaceknuckle/2009/09/11/mjhof/

EDIT: Sh*t, meant to post that in the Videos/Pics thread... Mods, little help??

Nice post dude! Thanks!

• Advertisement

Gotta give credit to Melo this year. Even with all the trade rumours the most recent one has him going to LA, at least he's not pulling a Vince Carter on the Nuggets.

Advertisement